It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live on a 13 thousand sq mi island in the Great Plains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ok I live in a rural town called Farmington in Missouri. Just about 20 miles away from my keyboard is a place known as Pickle Springs. For those who have never heard of it, there are plants that grow here that are found only on tropical islands, some plants found nowhere else in the world.

It's a very hilly neck of the woods this Pickle Springs is, I've seen cliffs 30 feet high and more. There is also Hahn State Park nearby, same story just without the rare plants. There is 1 more place I can't think of the name right now, I have never been there my brother and his friend has so when he wakes up I'll ask. At this place my brother went apparently the cliffs were 2x as high as at Pickle Springs.

I have seen archaeology teams from all over come here. I recall just about a year ago an asian team came here, none of them seemed to speak any english at all(that or they were too busy to talk or ignoring us lol).

Ok so to the point: for those who don't know, the land around the mississippi river sort of bowls into the river, elevation wise. Missouri is said to have been on the shore of a great ocean, as evidenced by findings of shells and whatnot.

Zoomed out a great deal, there seems to be 100 mile diameter area of thick grass. The overall elevation is 500 feet higher on this grassy circle than the surrounding lands (900 plus feet vs 300 plus feet).

i10.photobucket.com...

Kinda odd realizing this. The New Madrid Fault Line goes just by this region, literally just a few miles away! If the continents are to sink, I think I may be safe heh.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
..and the question is?

Or did you press New Topic instead of Post Reply.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
no question really, I was just stating something, kinda interesting, I mean I've been living here my whole life too and it's not common knowledge that hey this place is an island. its not like anyone else thinks that lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
very interesting, wish i had more to say, i just don't want this thread to die, since i find it is worth reading.

star for you.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by r66y712

Howdy neighbor!!! Im in good ol' Rolla MO..lol

So, we wont sink, huh? Or is it just you, and Rolla will go into the fiery bowels.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
[edit on 8-7-2009 by lighter78]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by r66y712
1. Pickle Springs. For those who have never heard of it, there are plants that grow here that are found only on tropical islands, some plants found nowhere else in the world.

2. Missouri is said to have been on the shore of a great ocean, as evidenced by findings of shells and whatnot.

3. I think I may be safe heh.

These three points you've made gave me goose bumps, especially number 1.

1. Did you know that the Mormon religion believes that somewhere in Missouri was the Garden of Eden?
www.utlm.org...

2. A large contingency of Mormons believe that Noa's ark actually took off from Missouri when the flood came.

Noah would have left in the ark from Missouri and sailed to some location in the Middle East. LDS Apostle John A. Widtsoe explained:

"Latter-day Saints know, through modern revelation, that the Garden of Eden was on the North American continent and that Adam and Eve began their conquest of the earth in the upper part of what is now the state of Missouri. It seems very probable that the children of our first earthly parents moved down along the fertile, pleasant lands of the Mississippi valley." (John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, three volumes in one, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft 1960, p. 127)www.utlm.org...

3. Mormons believe the future city of Zion (a safeheaven during the end times) will be in Missouri.

LDS Apostle, Bruce R. McConkie wrote, "In addition to the rebuilding of the Jerusalem of old, the latter-days are to see the initial building of a New Jerusalem on the American continent, a city which like its ancient counterpart will be a holy city, a Zion a city of God. This New Jerusalem is to be built by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints: Jackson County, Missouri..." www.ankerberg.org...

I always found the Mormon religion to be very interesting in their beliefs and I have found some great nuggets of knowledge from studying their beliefs...the thing is, the deeper you dig the more interesting ithe church becomes! you should check into it with an open mind, not to get converted but to research theoir beliefs and then try to match it to the present world science and archeology... you will be amazed as I am.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JulieMills

I live in Rolla and I didn't know about this. Now, I really want to drive to Pickle Springs

top topics

join