It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Sun Spot EVER found Today 7/7/09 - 60 to 80 times size of Earth!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well it seems that a sun spot has been spotted that is the LARGEST EVER FOUND - sunspots can be 60 times the size of Earth - this one is 60 to 80 times the size of Earth. It can be seen from Australia's telescopes.

Is this a REAL article? It seems to be. I will be doing more searches and confirming it!

link to article: www.gympietimes.com.au...

ASTRONOMERS are claiming that Earth is witnessing the biggest and most powerful Sunspot ever seen and the sunspot is yet to peak in intensity.

A sunspot is a magnetic storm on the surface of the sun and the area of the spot is colder than the normal surface.

The normal surface is about 5000 degrees, the temperature of a sunspot is about 3000 degrees.

The size of a sunspot varies, ranging from the size of the moon to 65 times larger than the size of earth and lasts for about a month then fades away.

This newest sunspot is thought to be 60 to 80 times the size of Earth and has occurred on the side of the sun, which is in view of Australia.

Wappa Falls Observatory head astronomer Owen Bennedick describes the sunspot shape like the letter S and thinks it to be approximately 150,000 km long and 30,000 km wide.

“It's flares have not yet been measured,” Owen Bennedick said, “but it is like hundreds of thousands of hydrogen bombs.”

The flares have been so bright that NASA has had trouble taking accurate pictures of the sunspot.

Mr Bennedick said the sunspot is still growing in intensity but predicts it could climax by today.

The sunspot will cause the Earth's atmosphere to heat up, potentially creating problems to powerlines, radio transmitters and delicate equipment such as mobile phones and computers.

Mr Bennedick suggests powerline filters be installed on computers and people should put on extra sunscreen.

Sunspots appear on the sun in cycles, occurring every 11 years, the current cycle has four years until it reaches it peak.

The last sunspot happened two years ago and was the most powerful flare yet measuring x28.

Most sunspot flares measure around x12 which is still considered powerful.

The Sunspot two years ago was 45 times larger than the earth and lasted for 45 days.

Since that sunspot, no more had been seen until Sunday, this latest one considered the most powerful yet.

The Wappa Falls Observatory is in the process of installing a new 12 inch telescope which will allow a greater view of the sky.

The new telescope was bought in honour of Kerry Mounter who recently passed away.

Mr Mounter was an inspiration to all who worked at the Wappa Falls Observatory. The telescope will be dedicated to his memory.

OH - I do have a question for everyone..................

can you GUESS what it is??

Here it goes................................

hhhmmmm.... could those Crop Circles Been GIVING US A MESSAGE FROM HIGHER INTELLIGENCE?

This info and link needs to be credited to member: serenecalamityz

The below picture is from yesterday - the pic I snap shotted today - is TOO big to fit in the post

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26570b6a085f.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 7-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So when will this hit earth and do damage? I feel like a good Sun tan.

2ndline

Tsom87

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My answer is simple, Prolly not. Most crop circles are hoaxed, to me its somewhat of a shame that noone comes out and claims responsibility. For, the few circles that might be genuinely extraterrestrial in origin are almost impossible to differentiate between manmade and ET. The real story you posted in very interesting but not disturbing. Sunspots are totally different from solar flares.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
That's a very interesting article. I'm in Australia, I work for a group of newspapers, and I can honestly say I've never heard of the 'Gympie Times,' but it's a legit source nonetheless.

Anyway, I knew that sunspot was big, but not that big. I'd definitely like to get more corroboration between sources to validate that claim a bit further.

Perhaps there was something to the 'prediction,' no matter if the circles were man-made or not, the activity is unique, unexpected, and noticeably large. This accompanied with those recent sunspots that appeared in a straight line have definitely got my attention.

[edit on 7/7/09 by Evasius]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yes, but I just went to spaceweather.com and they say this

Sunspot 1024 has stopped growing and solar flare activity is subsiding. Credit: SOHO/MDI

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The sunspot is called 1024 and can be seen from Earth on the SOHO site. It is actually a "sunspot group" and the article tens to mislead in saying how big it is. But it is rather weak as far as sunspots go having a less than class A rating. There are no hiccups coming off it and though it is spread out it is fading away. Sorry, no storms today.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

But the Gympie Times, Yummy... it's the Gympie Times!

The guys at spaceweather know their shiz, so I'll bank on that info. Time will tell I suppose.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

I have never believed the crop circles were man made in the first place. Some are - but the ones that are very intricate - I believe are messages from higher intelligence.

I find it quite ODD that the same day the messages were deciphered to be about - is the SAME DAY the LARGEST SUN SPOT EVER has been found!!

hhhhmmm..... makes you think - and take some things with more than just a grain of salt!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

AHAHAHA...you are a card, Evasius
Yes, I tend to agree with Spaceweather, but dangit..I wish something cool would happen!!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
*groan* not another thread..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/604bb080d02f.gif[/atsimg]
c/o Kevin VE3EN

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
reply to post by Evasius

AHAHAHA...you are a card, Evasius
Yes, I tend to agree with Spaceweather, but dangit..I wish something cool would happen!!!!!

How about an ice age..? As long as the sun sleeps Earth's tempature goes down a degree at a time. Most of the warmth we have right now is from the oceans, which are slowly cooling off. Increased clouds from cosmic radiation due to the lack of solar resistance reflects even more sunlight cooling the Earth even more. Some reports say it will only take a decade or so to get us into a Maunder Minimum event, and 30 years till we have no summers. That could be cool...

One time in Earth's past, it got so cold so fast that Mammoths were frozen solid standing up with food still in their mouths. We know only because we found some of them. They were flash frozen in minutes.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Oh YIKES!!! I didnt mean that cool!!!!! No , ok, how about if I said, I want something GROOVY to happen!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

WHY not another thread? This is about NEW information of the LARGEST sunspot found EVER - happens to be the SAME day crop circle deciphers said was in Crop Circle messages!

Seems that the information in the OP is IMPORTANT On it's own - never mind messages may have been left enlightening us humans that something was going to happen today - with the sun etc.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I agree with the importance, but I'm just having a hard time keeping up..

And I really hate posting the same thing across multiple threads.

You see, these are all connected events, so having so many people in so many different threads really makes it hard to co-ordinate everything..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

That was sort of tongue in cheek with a bit of seriousness. One thing is certain and that is that the sun will do something we don't expect.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

WHY not another thread? This is about NEW information of the LARGEST sunspot found EVER - happens to be the SAME day crop circle deciphers said was in Crop Circle messages!

Hmmm... from memory, those crop circles were meant to depict the Earth's magnetosphere were they not? Suddenly... now that it doesn't appear we will be fried today, it's all about sun spots?

Way to back pedal on predictions questioningall!

IRM
:shk:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yeah, I think so. Questioningall, I don't mean this as an attack - but please, calm down and breathe. Relax for a few minutes..

We're all on the same team here.. (well, mostly lol)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Its flares have not yet been measured,” Owen Bennedick said, “but it is like hundreds of thousands of hydrogen bombs.” The flares have been so bright that NASA has had trouble taking accurate pictures of the sunspot.

So there are big solar flares today?

Are any of the known astronomy sites reporting this?

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

LOL OMG - you are kidding me right?

Please read the threads - about the crop circles!!! Then come back and get your information correct. Love it - when something is proving to be an actual message from an alternative and higher intelligence - and now it will be debunked as not being correct in anyway people can debunk it!! How funny - I am having a VERY GOOD LAUGH!!

LOL

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK

Before I go anywhere with this, I am going to wait a little bit and then review corroborating evidence before I believe/disbelieve.

Information is the key here to getting to the bottom of this.

So I will remain on the fence, for now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join