It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you suffer from Fragile Faith Syndrome?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

OK, let me break it down nice and simple. The main theme here is close mindedness in regards to spirituality and the possible cause of it. In order to make an informed decision, you must first be informed. If you only receive information from one source or only like sources, then you are not informed. Since posting the OP, I have already conceded another possible motivation for this, the ego. And yes, I was speaking of ATS as a whole when I refered to close mindedness in my last post. I have seen it in almost every thread. I can only speak for myself, but I try to approach everything with an open mind, even on subjects that I feel very well informed about. I am always open to new possibilities. I just wish that others would approach life in the same manner. I full well realize that will never happen, but I can always hope.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Thanks for breaking it down for me, so that I understand what you mean more clearly.

Having an open mind is great. I think everyone should try it once in a while, but you can't force people to think outside the box, if they don't want to.

Remember, what works for you, might not be right for another person. Some people like to remain in a comfort zone, believing they don't need to seek and find. That is why there are several different religious faiths with devout followers.

I respect people who choose to look around and people who remain the same equally, because what it means is that they are free to do so, as they please.

Also, it's not about the messenger, but it's all about the message.

Once you find what you are looking for while you are out there with an open mind, you will find you won't want to listen to any other messengers either.

Just wait, you'll see.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I agree with you. But I will say, I always found it deeply hypocritical for someone to condeme others for trying to push their beliefs off on others while trying to push their beliefs off on others. *at least a few atheists on here*
I think mankind need to learn to accept differences and not turn everything into a competition.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

There are 2 kinds of close minded people, those who believe and those who don't. Neither are basing things on their understanding.

In fact, both sides are accepting the same source for their information. They are simply 2 sides of the same coin, a coin which is flipped by the same hand.

And the atheist might think - you are nuts, I don't believe so how can I be accepting what they say? And the answer is because they are using the same sources as "proof" for why it's false and don't believe in god. Somewhat hard to explain, so I'll try to give an example.

I say the sky is green. Person 1 accepts that I am telling the truth. So they repeat they sky is green! Person 2 comes along and says, oh thats crazy, I don't see a green sky, the sky doesn't exist! It doesn't matter which side of the argument they are on, because either way they have allowed me to define the topic for them, and their decisions were based on the fact they have accepted what I say to be a representation of the sky.

And sadly, that is not the end of it. A popular misconception might be that it's wanted for everyone to pick 1 side or the other. Not true. In fact, they want people to pick those 2 sides. Because then whenever problems and such happens, they have an evil to put in as the blame. Not hard to find a bad example from each side, parade that around. Then each side plays the evil for each other, and meanwhile the hand that flips the coin maintains control. Each side points out the evils each side does, and all the while they never look at their own side, and don't recognize their hypocrisy(Matthew 7 says how to fix this, and how to recognize it).

And round and round that wheel of duality and black and white goes. Each so sure that it is the other side that is the problem, but each equally deceived. And all because they based their choice on what they accepted, rather than trying to understand.

"Faith" in the OP is not used correctly, if someone's "Faith" is fragile then it's not "faith", but "blind faith" and that is completely different than faith. Blind faith = acceptance. There is no need for blind faith if someone has truly found the father, because the father gives in wisdom and understanding.

And the screwed up thing about it, is the bible even says these things. But because men tell them otherwise, they believe and that is what they go by. Religion says it's all about blind faith, accept this etc. But the bible says such is not the way at all. The bible says go in the way of understanding, and that understanding and wisdom are the things that stand at the top of the holy, and who's voice guides people on the path(proverbs 8, proverbs 9). Jesus obviously being one who could hear them. But I do not see either side generally talking about these things. It's all about the literal and what is accepted.

Mostly among those who accept, which ever side they are on, it's usually just a matter of the environment around them. They don't really have a clue one way or another, because they understand nothing.

Psalm 82

1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

[edit on 7/6/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Once you find what you are looking for while you are out there with an open mind, you will find you won't want to listen to any other messengers either.

Just wait, you'll see.

Not true for me. The more information I am exposed to, the more curious I get. I'm approaching the half century mark (where did all the time go?), so I doubt this will ever change for me. My quest for knowledge is insatiable, the more I learn, the more I want to know. But that's just me. This thread is just another way to expand my knowledge through others. I put it out there to get the input of others to expand my understanding on the subject. To me, a bad day is a day where I learned nothing new. I guess since what I'm looking for is knowledge, I'll never run out of messengers.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

That was just a beautiful, well thought out response! I was just posting on a 'bash Darwin and Dawkins' thread, and tried to convey the same point, that there is a choice besides black and white, but you so conveyed that point so much more eloquently than I could have. Star for you!!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Nice try, french fry. As a former *gag* "Christian" I have seen quite the opposite- and even had said clergy abuse me for my financial situation- my fave is still the visiting speaker who stood in front of us and bashed the few who DID drive clunkers:" When people pull up to the church, do they really need to see tired old broken down cars in the parking lot? No!"

EVERY church I have been to has a 90/10 ratio: 90% nice cars, 10% clunkers. the pastor ALWAYS has a nice, nice vehicle. Oh, and BTW- when I didn't have a car at all, these are the same loving, caring people who told me how people in the bible walked to church- and always were never around when I needed a ride.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Very manipulative post. "Fragile Faith" is a nice intimidation tactic. Yes, there are people who are just living up to an indoctrination. Everyone is to some extent, whether it's regarding religion or "science" or politics etc.. However, having a firm faith and belief that has considered the options is a proper course for anyone to maintain and isn't ignorance. The devil and illusions are very, very, very manipulative. With lots of lies and rationals along the way. So long as a person is comfortable with their faith by internal standards of their own. They are where they need to be.

Fantasizing that evolution is the thinking persons choice is just another fragile faith in disguise.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I'm just going to jump in here and spout my two cents.

I was born and raised a roman catholic, went to catholic public and high schools, did the monthly masses and pretty much everything involved in a christian faith.

So 10 years later this is how ive come to see things. Religion is irrelevant, its how you live your life, I'm a good person subject to mistakes in judgement at times but all in all i try to live my life in a way that it will have a positive effect on myself and those around me as much as possible. I think thats a decent trade off to accepting Jesus or Mohammed or whoever you choose to place your faith in. My faith is in me and heres why:

For traditional religion you attend mass where the minister or priest instructs you on how to live your life to be more like christ(i say christ but you may feel free to insert your savior of choice here) the priest or minister reads from a book that people thousands of years penned (hundreds of years after the birth of christ in some cases) and thats taken as fact. We as people make our own realities, by forming our own opinions based on experiences that we've personally had, when we accept these words of others without question it paves the way for these people shaping your reality, and they can shape it however they want for good or for ill.

The point is we are born as good and free (I've never met a baby who wasn't) Its our experiences that shape us in to who we are, and i for one wont allow someone else's perspective to dictate me just because they say that they said that he said such and such. I know whats good in my heart and i live by that and its enough for me.

Thanks for reading

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
It's when someone absolutely refuses to consider anything that might challenge their spiritual beliefs.

Actually I'm just the opposite.
I blast mine and if it's left standing then I can keep it.
After blasting, lots of times what I thought was real isn't there anymore.

Many of my beliefs are in flux.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

The absolute egomaniacal aspect of your post is mind-blowing... "You must allow for the fact that your belief is wrong."

It is called "Faith" for a reason. Belief in something that you can't see or feel or measure.

You anti-religious, mega maniacal hater.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Sorry for your bad experiences. But I am talking from experience. The man who just did some work on my house is a preacher. He has his own church. He works every day, and his wife also works. Their's is not a wealthy congregation. The lifestyle they maintain is modest, and is paid for by the fruit of their labors. Perhaps you need to learn that most are sincere, but there is always one bad one that sticks in your mind.
My area of the country is rural and fairly poor. Yes we have some big churches, but most are small. I see the reality of poverty, and how churches provide a sense of community, a support system, and encouragement to help others. When you help others, you find that it comes back to you when you need it. In other words, what goes around comes around.
Please do not resort to name calling.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
God I hate it when these evolutionist start preaching "It makes me want to vomit in terror!"

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I can't believe I am going to write the following, but I am. If anyone reads things I write they will understand that I look at many things from different views and the two in particular I am going to talk about here are in Human and Alien experience knowledge.

My Mom was Catholic my Father was not.

We were raised Catholic and my Mom took us to Church and we had to have the training just the same as she was taught when she was little.

One time when I stayed at a friends over night they invited me to there Church which was not a Catholic Church, I called Mom and asked if I could go and she said yes. I was surprised how different my friends Church was, I liked how they did things and I felt comfortable there unlike the Catholic Church.

After I had accomplished all the things that kids have to in the Catholic Church I stopped/refused to go.

A long, long, very long period of time went by and my feelings were if people feel as if they need to go to Church to prey then there is nothing wrong with that, everyone has the right to believe the way they feel it in there heart weather or not going to Church to do it.

Time again went by and I was thinking as I had many times before about my experiences and I started to realize the recall I had of my experiences were all jumbled. So I started by taking my pieces and started to fit them together to form my puzzle pieces.

As I look at the pieces now with age it all makes sense to me, (at least for me.)

I really don't know Religion but I know me, I know my Heart and Soul and I know what I have lived.

When looking at my experiences and then looking at life everything seemed to fall into place for me.

What I write here you don't need to believe I don't even ask you to believe but this is what I know for myself.

I was a Grey being I was on a ship with many of us. I was in a room with a few others Grey's like myself we were in a circle communicating. Off our side was another group of Grey's but these were very, very tall Grey's and I didn't know any of us Grey's were that tall. I was told by someone in our little group they were the Elder's the Creator's.

Our small group moved over toward there group and the others I was with left and there I stood. I had them standing around me and I could see some behind them.

One of the Elder's asked me if I would like to go to Earth and help the human race when it was time, I asked was it for the good and I was told yes it was for the good. I then agreed to come here to help the human race when it was time.

I was told that when I became human I would become stupid and they would come to me thoughout my human life when they could, hence experiences.

So I don't know how that me became this me all I know is I feel as if I am that human with the Alien Soul.

I did write about this stuff in a thread titled My Life with an Alien Soul and things I have been shown and told. Not everything is there but it gives a general idea.

As far as God the way I see it is like this:

Long ago Beings came from the skies which Religious leaders changes to the Gods came from Heaven...Heaven is admitted to mean skies...can you begin to understand.

I give a little secret here which I know will not be accepted, but so be it.

Grey's are Soul's some good some not so good. Everything you know is wrong. The Pope's from long past have used trickery to bring people in into there fold and rob them of there monies so they could/can live well.

The government and the Vatican doesn't want you to know the truth and I can write it from the knowledge I have gained from living here and there because no one will believe it..... it just if anything makes me look bad when I write some of the things I do BUT as I see it in time all will come to light and it will either prove me right or wrong it is my reputation that will be destroyed and I value my reputation.

From what I observe many people need their God they need Faith to keep them going especially in bad times.

Many Soul's have been sent here to help and other's to stop what they can.

The one thing that needs to change is people need to ween themselves somewhat from Religion to Spirituality and learn the human race is what matters not trivial belongings.

Do I feel over six Billion can be retrained yes I do but do I see it happening in this lifetime, so far no I do not.

Anyhow this has been long enough and I think you know where I stand, sorry if I hurt anyone or there belief's. I do respect everyone to have their the rights to believe what is in there Heart and Soul.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Funny thing about this is every post I make is usually about the same thing because it is truth and not fiction. That star is in the eastern sky from where I am at about 30 degrees low on the horizon if anyone want to observe a huge UFO carrying Nephilim and the Anti-Christ's minions. It's always out by 11PM. It's proof that what I'm saying is true. Meaning yes the Holy Bible is truth. You can't have the Anti-Christ without God or Yeshua.

I'm only telling you the truth. You'll see it yourself (End Times) with your own eyes one day. Right now you can see this fake "miracle" in the sky and many other Nephilim ships giving my proclamation credibility especially now that Venus is out of the way for sure now.

This means the Anti-Christ will come with "alien holy ones" and with a fake Jesus that looks like the Jesus everyone knows from the paintings.

You'll witness this for yourself. I'm not trying to get anything out of this but to inform.

EDIT: If you think I'm crazy or kidding you're in for one RUDE awakening.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by watchtheashes]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Lol as far as I know the puritans do not exist anymore. It's not all hellfire and brimstone like most people think it is. This is a debate that will go on for all eternity until eaither the human race destroys itself or mother earth does it for us.

You think I'm silly because I beleive in god.

I think you're silly because you don't.

Double edged sword of a debate that will rage till the end of days. So what makes someone such as yourself throw gasoline on the fire? Is it the enjoyment of the debate? Is it the need to change peoples views? I really don't understand why people post threads that are just meant to provoke religious people. Aren't there other important thinks we could be talking about?

The future war with Korea maybe? The NWO trying to take over the world? A UFO flying over Hindenburg? Elementary particles?

At least those conversations will get us some where.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

The absolute egomaniacal aspect of your post is mind-blowing... "You must allow for the fact that your belief is wrong."

The making up of quotes is mind-blowing! That was NEVER said in the OP, or in any other post by me!

It is called "Faith" for a reason. Belief in something that you can't see or feel or measure.

You anti-religious, mega maniacal hater.

Apparently you did not bother to take the time to really read any of this thread. You just felt personally attacked and therefore could not help but post an Ad Hominem bomb! Since you took this so personally, perhaps you are the very type of person described in the OP.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I touched on this on another thread, but thought it deserved a thread of it's own. First let me define what I call Fragile Faith Syndrome.

It's when someone absolutely refuses to consider anything that might challenge their spiritual beliefs. The best example are Creationists. Most refuse to consider evolution, or to research the subject beyond biased sources that agree with their position, as if it would shatter their faith completely if they were proven wrong.

I disagree with your view that creationists do not reasearch evolutionist beliefs and their interpretations of the evidences.

In fact, I find evolutionists to be very ignorant of what creation science has to say about the very same evidence. Remember, both use the very same evidence. They just have different explanations and interpretations for the evidence. Each side begins with an assumption. The creationist assumes that all things were created by an intelligent designer. The evolutionists assumes life began randomly and slowly increased in complexity and diversity.

I am a creationist, researcher, and investigator. I look at the evidence and the interpretations of the evidence from both sides. This includes new evidence and new interpretations.

That I find the creation science interpretation of the evidence more logical and reasonable does not mean I arrived at that conclusion subjectively or without any objectivity.

Threads that attack faith get us no where. There is no bridge to understanding others here, just more burning timbers left over from bridges long destroyed.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Ummm.... name calling? When? Where? How?

I hope you aren't referring to the 'french fry' part- that's hardly name calling.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

This thread was not started to provoke religious people, it was started to try to understand those who refuse to explore the universe they live in beyond their particular religions dogma (or lack of in the case of atheists). I do not think you are silly for believing in God. I have my own beliefs, which may differ from yours, but none the less, I do believe. I am, however, willing to adjust those beliefs as I learn more. I am just trying to understand those who refuse to expand their knowledge, thus remain ignorant intentionally. This concept to me is just mind-numbing!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join