It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you suffer from Fragile Faith Syndrome?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Denying ignorance begins with contemplating all possibilities. Freedom is allowing others to believe what they choose, just as you have the right to believe as you do.

Agreed!

I believe it was Aristotle who said that intelligence was the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
It's when someone absolutely refuses to consider anything that might challenge their spiritual beliefs. The best example are Creationists. Most refuse to consider evolution, or to research the subject beyond biased sources that agree with their position, as if it would shatter their faith completely if they were proven wrong.

Here's an interesting question. How do we know evolutionists don't feel the same way? Is it not possible to say then, that people who wholeheartedly believe in evolution in the same manner that devout christians believe in creationism, they too would or could be afraid of researching any evidence that is contrary to Darwin's theory?

In essence, what I'm saying is that evolutionists too can be found guilty of only researching evidence that only supports their particular view, in the same manner that some christians have as well. Hypocrisy can go both ways you know?

I'm sorry, I've always been a big supporter of a lot of great scientific discoveries or experiments, but to honestly think that our universe, our world, heck even our own human bodies, as complex as they are, came out of RANDOM mutations over a period of generations without the help of some creator entity, is just downright silly. I'm sure that if you do some research, you'll find that even evolution as a theory still has flaws and can't explain everything. In fact, the one biggest misconception about evolution that I've found from both evolutionists and christians, is that they both seem to think that evolution is supposed to explain the origin of EVERYTHING (our universe, our planet etc.) when that is downright false. Last I read, the title said that it was the "Origin of species" and NOT "The origin of how ALL came to be"

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Excellent thread JR, S+F for you

FFS ,! I think you've coined a new phrase that will certainly be used over and over to describe the symptoms you quote.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Well said!

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

[edit on 7-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

It most definitely is a two way street. I would say though, that it is atheists, not evolutionists, who are equally as guilty of 'fragile faith'. There are those who believe in a Divine Power (such as myself), and also accept evolution as the most plausible theory concerning the diversity of life, and have researched and considered both sides before coming to this belief. For us the question isn't who created life on Earth, but who created the Universe and the laws of physics which led to the emergence of life here, and I suspect, throughout the Universe.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

No doubt in what you say, though Atheists always try to use Evolution as their explanation for there not being a God/Creator when that is just downright dumb. I have always seen science, more specifically biology and anthropology, NOT as an ANSWER to whether there is a god or not, since science CANNOT scientifically prove or disprove the existence of god, but rather, as a study of nature, or in the case of christians, as a study of God's creation, which is as it SHOULD BE!

Making baseless assumptions as Atheist's do, to favor there point of view all so they can get attention by trying to be contrarians to a popular belief is not only dangerous, but it also shows the total ignorance, and ARROGANCE of their ego. Essentially? Attention wh*res. Now again, this doesn't mean that christians are absolved from this human flaw because they certainly are not. That is usually, when it is best for them to do what the bible tells, and simply humble themselves and simply help take care of their own, and talk only to those that are willing to listen, not those that don't want to listen.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

Which is exactly why I included atheists as those who suffer from FFS in a later post after the OP. Evolution in no way proves or disproves the possibility of the Divine! It has become, in some ways, a Strawman concerning this particular aspect of the debate.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

Nah, Jaxon's not like that. He even admits further down atheists or skeptics can be just as guilty of 'Fragile Faith Syndrome' when their [lack of] beliefs are challenged.

I'm about as big of a Bible thumper you can get but he and I are pretty good friends. lol Jaxon isn't an atheist, BTW. He believes in spirituality, too.

Anyways, as I said before, I think just about every person of every belief can be guilty of this- including myself- at times. Our faith becomes such an important part of our lives that an attack on that feels like an attack on us or anything we love dearly. As humans, we're prone to react negatively when that happens.

[edit on 7/7/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can't imagine these types of boards damaging any type of faith but the most VERY fragile.

It seems that most people come on forums with their own preconcieved ideas and I haven't seen much evidence that opinions change due to relevatory opposite posts. Most people seem to defend their own usually well informed and probably entrenched opinion. It is irrelevant whether they be religious or athiestic or evolutionists - they are all faith based, and are equally as bad/good

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Well said! I think that this member posted without bothering to read the entire thread. I am certainly not a "anti-religious, mega maniacal hater" by any stretch of the imagination!! In fact, there are only two things I can say I hate in this world; ignorance (not the ignorant) and my ex-wife (very very bitter divorce!).

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Our faith becomes such an important part of our lives that an attack on that feels like an attack on us or anything we love dearly

This is so true, but I would like to add a word in between "that" & "attack". That is "percieved" attack.

Sometimes, as an agnostic, I may just be highlighting a factoid about something that may be contraversial in the Bible or even something flat out contradictory, and doing it in a non demeaning way, just simply throwing it out there. Then along comes an extreme believer (mostly evangelical fundamentalist) will come back with some antagonistic response.

Surely, this goes both ways, but people some times need to take a step back and check thmselves before they respond. And that goes for me as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Very insightful and correct assessment! I was the victim of such on page two of this thread. Whenever I feel 'threatened' or am ready to snap on someone, I go back and reread the OP in the thread linked to in my signature line. Once I'm recentered, I then calmly reply to the 'threatning' post. We can all be guilty of this on any subject matter. I saw it, on of all things, the What does your avater tell us about you??? thread. If there was ever a thread that didn't call for 'flaming', this is it, and yet someone just had to find something to 'flame' about! Of course, it could just be another troll.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Thats smart. Wish I could say the same thing!

Normally I will let my emotions guide the reactions I have to certain posts. Funny though, if I get interrupted by something and I come back to the post that riled me up a bit, it normally does not bother me nearly as much.

Its safe to say I'm somehwat of a hot head in every day life, but when it comes to ATS and peoples opinions it takes alot to get under my skin compared if it was said to my face. Normally, the things that I find provacative in ATS threads I laugh off. Thats where the sarcastic comebacks kick in, I think...Obviously its not going to come to blows, so what else is there to do!?...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Trust me, as a Scorpio, I have to watch the snappy sarcastic comebacks! Sarcasm is my first language! I now try to start such comebacks with [sarcasm] and end with [/sarcasm] to ensure that they are taken the way they are intended, but I do endevour to not engage in that (but sometime I just can't help myself
).

[edit on 7-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

"Faith" in the OP is not used correctly, if someone's "Faith" is fragile then it's not "faith", but "blind faith" and that is completely different than faith. Blind faith = acceptance. There is no need for blind faith if someone has truly found the father, because the father gives in wisdom and understanding.

Well I must say dude, you are one of the most agreeable people I've had the displeasure of disagreeing with lol

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i was a bit suspect of you jaxonroberts at the start of the thread,i thought it was yet another dig at religious folk but after reading further i see thats not the case and therefore welcome the discussion

personally i try hard not to dismiss things because i believe in god its easily done but i am and i do read anything i can and try to make sense of it but as yet nothing has crushed my belief in god infact i would say its got a little stronger in the last few years.

i must add that personally i see a lot more atheists on the attack than i do christians,allthough obviously both parties are guilty of it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Hey, you're talking to the guy who's faith in the Divine was only strengthened by reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's not a 'bash religion' thread, it's a 'bash close mindedness' thread, as you have discovered! Thank you for reading it before passing judgement!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I believe I have something similar- shattered faith syndrome- where I had beliefs, and they have all been stomped on but good. Now, I don't believe anything without 3 forms of proof, and an ID. If it cant be smelled, tasted, felt, seen, heard, or otherwise measured- I have no use or belief in it. This doesn't include those idiot scientific tests on the 'power of prayer' which always come up severely lacking.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Maybe not directly related, but somewhat on a related topic:

What if Jesus Introduced Himself to Me Today?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Gee, we creationist feel sometimes the same way about evolutionist. Go figure.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join