It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy 4th of July ATS Americans!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I want to wish all American ATSers a happy and safe fourth of July, weather you are at home stateside, serving overseas or visiting countries abroad. Just remember that our independance came at cost while your enjoying your cookouts and fireworks. Again happy and safe fourth!!!

In between mouthfuls of hot dogs and potato salad, Americans on this July Fourth might actually ponder those famous phrases scrawled near the top of the Declaration of Independence:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

When he penned the Declaration in 1776, Thomas Jefferson had an inkling of the consequences it held for the 13 colonies, who were announcing their intention to break free from the shackles of British rule. What he may not have anticipated, however, were the widespread effects his powerful words would also have around the world.

The Declaration of Independence didn't just change the course of American history, but created a ripple effect that nudged a host of other nations toward independence, making a revolutionary poster boy of Jefferson in the process.

How the declaration of independence changed the world

[edit on 4-7-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
As a Brit, I feel it only right and proper to say:

BOOO! Long live the Queen!

Only jesting, happy 4th July

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

LOL.. thanks for the well wish and "red dwarf", and "are you being searved" as well as "keeping up appearences"

[edit on 4-7-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thank you.

I get to spend the day working but it's time and a half.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
How come so many fellow American citizens consider the 4th of July as the "birth" of our nation, when it did not even exist until 1788 and the ratification of the Constitution. Perhaps at least 1783 when Brittan finally recognized American independence as it's own sovereign nation by virtue of surrender. Because really... when 1777 rolled around, even with the Declaration, we were still considered British colonies... and the members of the first and second Continental Congresses (as well as many others) were traitors to the Crown.

The entire legality of the 1st and 2nd Continental Congress rested upon our victory. Between 1781 and 1788, The United States didn't exist yet, and we had a crutch government in the form of the Congress of the Confederation that provided structure under the Articles of Confederation while we were building and shaping our new country in the interim years.

Just cause we said "F-YOU GEORGIE" didn't mean Georgie was be cool with that and hand a chunk of his empire over to us.

I don't mean to downplay today's significance any, but if you ask people while you're out and about today if they remember the year our nation was born, I bet most will probably say it was '76.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Good for you!

Far better than being one of the millions of people who have lost their jobs recently and cant find any new jobs.

Celebrate the change with us:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have a green holiday, don't barbeque your foods, don't drive, don't burn anything especially fireworks and save the planet from more carbon emissions.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The Unanimous Declaration Of The Thirteen United States Of America

Originally posted by Lasheic
I don't mean to downplay today's significance any, but if you ask people while you're out and about today if they remember the year our nation was born, I bet most will probably say it was '76.

And they would be quite right. Imperial protestations to the contrary, on July 3, 1776, the thirteen colonies were still functioning colonies of Great Britain. On July 4, they were not.**

The text of the Declaration of Independence is quite plain enough. On that day, 233 years ago, the colonies declared themselves independent states, no longer subject to the rule of a king, and began to act accordingly.

Of course the Crown did contest that claim, but all claims of sovereignty, including those of kings, are dependent upon their ability to enforce them.

In the case of the new United States of America, the Crown failed, and the States prevailed.

Thus it is quite correct, in every respect, to consider July 4, 1776 to be the birthday of the United States of America.

**Edit: Actually, I'll correct myself on that. The Wikipedia article on the subject provides a well-sourced refutation to several myths surrounding the date of American independence. Still, July 4 is technically off by only a couple of days, if we consider the Lee Resolution of July 2 to be definitive.

Wikipedia: Independence Day (United States)

[edit on 7/4/2009 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
sounds like a damn good reason for a thread to me. happy happy,
stay safe forget about sane. i'll take this little opp.to go on record and
say i absolutly love my country. so happy birthday America!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Best Wishes,
for a
Happy Independence Day!!!!!
Be Safe-Have Fun!!

Happy 4th of July!!!!

~Peace~

Happy Birthday America!!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
A happy 4th of July to all good Americans.
Which we all are.
And to any one else on our land today.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d9e2cabad21.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae0b3e164221.jpg[/atsimg]

Happy 4th to All Celebrating!!!!!!

EDIT to add: Also have a SAFE fourth!

[edit on 7/4/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your wishes, Hail America

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Happy Happy 233 Years of war, mass-murder, greediness, taking over what's not yours, evil capitalism, globalization ... i can go on but is not worth it...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
New Kids On The Block

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
Happy Happy 233 Years of war, mass-murder, greediness, taking over what's not yours, evil capitalism, globalization ... i can go on but is not worth it...

Granted, we're not as experienced at these endeavors as most other countries, but we're still rather new on the scene and try to make up for it with boundless enthusiasm.

At the very least, we certainly don't have a monopoly on sanctimony or hypocrisy, as comments like these so eloquently attest, but we do our best to keep up.

God bless America!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
boo america, boo europe. We should be remembering the native americans. We need a real independance day which involves destroying the nwo!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Happy 4th all america, looks like rain all day here so some soggy food off the grill looks immenent! To all the haters loosen up life is way to short

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With

You're just jealous that we didn't take over your country and spread democracy to you and yours.

Just kidding.

Don't hate us. We gave the world baseball and Alicia Keyes.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Happy independence day!

Lite um up!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Happy 4th to all!

Playin a gig tonite at the American Legion. Should be plenty of drunk patriots in attendance. Including me.

Don't drink and drive!!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Happy 4th to you all!

It took me forever to find this tune but it was worth it.

Don’t be put off by the picture or the bands name - it really is one of - if not the best version of 'America' there is.

Even if you don’t like the song you just might like it this time.

Give it a try.

ENJOY!

GOD BLESS the American’s!

[edit on 4-7-2009 by silo13]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join