It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: "Humans Have Entered a New Stage of Evolution"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

"At first, evolution proceeded by natural selection, from random mutations. This Darwinian phase, lasted about three and a half billion years, and produced us, beings who developed language, to exchange information.

But what distinguishes us from our cave man ancestors is the knowledge that we have accumulated over the last ten thousand years, and particularly, Hawking points out, over the last three hundred.

"I think it is legitimate to take a broader view, and include externally transmitted information, as well as DNA, in the evolution of the human race," Hawking said.

In the last ten thousand years the human species has been in what Hawking calls, "an external transmission phase," where the internal record of information, handed down to succeeding generations in DNA, has not changed significantly. "But the external record, in books, and other long lasting forms of storage," Hawking says, "has grown enormously. Some people would use the term, evolution, only for the internally transmitted genetic material, and would object to it being applied to information handed down externally. But I think that is too narrow a view. We are more than just our genes."

www.dailygalaxy.com...

I am inclined to agree... To help explain it in an ATS related way, think back to your very first few weeks as an ATS member... Remember the masses of information that flooded your view, mind, thoughts, ideas...

Now look at where you are today.. Awakened, enlightened, more aware, ready to handle a lot of the things discussed here far more than you ever were..
And don't you feel tempted to spill your new found knowledge onto others?
Don't you find yourself biting your tongue when you are in certain circles of society and want to express and opinion or make a point but just know you're in the wrong place chatting with the wrong people?

Our ability to change ourselves to fit any given situation is increasing not just on a physical stage but in our minds and our souls. We are far more 'ready' than we ever have been.

There is much discussion here on ATS about a new way forward for Humanity.. and this may be a good way to recognise this major leap. Daily, we are expecting some doom and gloom or some turn of events that brings happiness .. We are searching and waiting for something and we all feel it..

This 'collective' may be the difference between the new 'strong' and the old 'strong' in the battle of survival.

No longer is physical fitness the only way to survive, grow, evolve.. Intelligence and ability to change, personal and spiritual developments are now major factors.

Gone are the days of being the strongest hunter bringing home the biggest beast.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Good post... Evolution is indeed more than physical adaptation. We pass down information we have learned from others and include our own tweaks thereby increasing mass knowledge!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What a interesting concept EA

The article also goes onto to say that the change in evolutionary developments will be from our manipulation of DNA, rather than 'evolution''. Firstly, we will genetically modify our 'damaged genes' then move on to 'creating' the changes for other puruposes.
But Hawkings isnt new in saying our evolution by natural selection means is considerably slowed down. And on the other hand, its by no means ended, as things like diet effect development, such as height, we are considrably taller than even a century ago, so there are still evolutionary processes taking place.

Your comment though:

This 'collective' may be the difference between the new 'strong' and the old 'strong' in the battle of survival.

Which I find a brilliant take EA
Humanity moving from individual survival to collective is really the next step....that's if we can manage to pull our heads out of our own hatred for other people because of 'nationalism' ( a purely learned behaviour) and 'religions' and figure out we are all the same DNA clumps on a floating rock wanting to survive together

S & F'd

Zazz

[edit on 3-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Sadly, our species won't make it for much longer at the rate we'll going. There' so many things in humanity's way in these coming years that I want to believe we, as species will be able to make it through all this... but at this point in time, and the type of world we sadly live in, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

To come all this way and for nothing... we'll not even going to be able to make it off this planet, let alone colonize space and other planets...

What a shame. God help us all.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Humanity moving from individual survival to collective is really the next step....that's if we can manage to pull our heads out of our own hatred for other people because of 'nationalism' ( a purely learned behaviour) and 'religions' and figure out we are all the same DNA clumps on a floating rock wanting to survive together

The best example of this is "The Earth is flat and we will all die if we sail off the edge" to just one man thinking the Earth is round.. and now we ALL know and believe the world to be round.. As such, we all now sail and fly all over this globe.

A single cell learnt and evolved and eventually the knowledge from this cell spread to the entire 'collective'.

This is prime as to how DNA evolves and how our experiences can make the change.

The expression "one man cannot change the world" is false.. many a time we have learnt so much from individuals. We pass this on in many formats.
We know that certain cells in plants, animals and Humans learn and pass on knowledge.. For which the greatest example is reproduction and 'evolved' offspring.

We will learn to listen to logic and realise the best steps forwards.. Evolution does it naturally and does it for the right reasons.. We must continue to learn in the same way rather than listening to old, antiquated governments and systems that are so out of date and out of whack that they should be fossilised.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Sadly, our species won't make it for much longer at the rate we'll going.

Yeah I see you point. The human race has become more power thirsty as it has evolved. I feel the human race will be responsible for it's own demise (I know, sounds like I am speaking as if I'm an alien and non human).

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42
Sadly, our species won't make it for much longer at the rate we'll going. There' so many things in humanity's way in these coming years that I want to believe we, as species will be able to make it through all this... but at this point in time, and the type of world we sadly live in, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

To come all this way and for nothing... we'll not even going to be able to make it off this planet, let alone colonize space and other planets...

Yeah I sadly agree with this....

I remember listening to Stephen Greer with excitement before I had joined this site, and one thing that troubled me (from a sociological perspective) was the seismic shift in humanity's perception that he seemed to think would just happen... Seriously...not being arrogant, but I walked down the street after listening to his stuff and looked at the sheeple and just thought 'it isnt going to happen that easily'..... then proceeded to email his stuff to my friends only for it to amount to nothing......lol

Anyway, to the OP, not 2 sound 2 depressing but "Now look at where you are today.. Awakened, enlightened, more aware, ready to handle a lot of the things discussed here far more than you ever were.." er, no I think with knowledge comes a crossroads where you realise you are part of the minority... Im sorry but I just don't see a global awakening?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

I am inclined to agree... To help explain it in an ATS related way, think back to your very first few weeks as an ATS member... Remember the masses of information that flooded your view, mind, thoughts, ideas...

Now look at where you are today.. Awakened, enlightened, more aware, ready to handle a lot of the things discussed here far more than you ever were..
Don't you find yourself biting your tongue when you are in certain circles of society and want to express and opinion or make a point but just know you're in the wrong place chatting with the wrong people?

VERY VERY good point! There are many of us literally suffering with having to keep our knowledge contained when dealing with those in the early stages (or before) of awakening. While I hate to use the term "wake up!" to people, I cannot help feeling the urge to say it. Then I realize there's nothing I can do to speed the enlightenment of others.

They really have to evolve on their own by first SEEKING.
Our best bet is to compile and compress all of the information we've absorbed and evolve IT to penetrate the groggy sleepers more effectively.

I know a few people that are really going through hard times trying to express themselves. They are alone across a HUGE divide. Some people are very much snowblind, but if we compile and compress, share info, when their vision fades back in they can have an executive summary of all they've missed in their development.

As for Steve Hawking? He's one gifted man and an example of how our minds are infinitely evolving no matter the physical conditions we can suffer.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The best example of this is "The Earth is flat and we will all die if we sail off the edge" to just one man thinking the Earth is round.. and now we ALL know and believe the world to be round.. As such, we all now sail and fly all over this globe.

That's not really a very good example. It was actually the Greeks who figured out that the world was round (around 600 BCE). If you're alluding to Columbus, he knew as did the rest of the educated people of the time that the world is round.

The idea that the emergence of intelligence in a species signals the end of natural evolution is not a new one. Since intelligence causes havoc with natural selection, some other process has to come into play if evolution is to continue.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42

Look at the past, entire species have become extinct for reasons only mother nature knows, where were the bombs then? there were none! humans dont have and will never have the power to destroy this planet or the human race, billions may die but millions will survive, humans have survived an ice age and have adapted to every climate on this planet, as powerful as we are only mother nature can stop us now

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

That's not really a very good example. It was actually the Greeks who figured out that the world was round (around 600 BCE).

I do see what you are trying to say, but the idea that the Earth is round had to start with just one person.

The entire Greek nation did not suddenly wake up one morning and realise that they all knew the Earth was round. They all had to learn it...from one person.

Just as this thread was started by one person.. Stephen Hawking.. Then another got involved, myself, and now others.. A chain reaction.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Speights

I agree wholeheartedly except for the part about destroying this earth, it's quite easy to do, plant a few bombs here and there and all gone ;<

Like here in New Zealand we think we're all clean and green, but we're define tallynot ;P that's pretty much destroying the earth :

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
If evolution were real and not just a theory Steven Hawking would be the first to go. More Bull#.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Speights

reply to post by allsop

You're both right really.

Yes, a few well placed bombs could do the job.. but who in their right mind would do such a thing. I think we can count that scenario out but you never know

Take a look at our oceans and the plastic mess that is currently floating in it poisoning the sea and the food chain. Airborne pollution from our vehicles and factories. Damage to the environment from nuclear power stations, chemical plants and depleted uranium ammunitions.

On the whole, a lot of this is localised. which is both fortunate and unfortunate. Let's imagine the entire UK being starved and/or polluted to death due to this current societies way of life.. No food available from the oceans as we have either fished it all out or it has al died from pollution. The land wont grow crops as we have either built over it all and/or polluted it through the use of pesticides and other such things.

This would only effect the UK. It is an island.

Now lets look at a small village somewhere in deepest China/Mongolia.
They have no ocean to worry about. They have thousands of miles (exaggeration for purpose of discussion) of land with which to roam, forage and farm before they come into contact with any other village or person. Fresh water rivers to fish, snow capped mountains providing further water and resources.

Humanity would and does survive.

I believe I read once that we are all descended from a group of Humans no bigger than 5000 to 7000 people. This group is supposedly the remains of some major disaster that wiped out the rest of the population.

It's the old "does the world outside my room exist if I close the door" problem. Inside your room your entire idea and way of life could be dying and it would seem to be the end for all, but open the door and you get to see things from a different view.

You and I may not survive some impending doom, but others will.
Self survival is an instinct. Mix that with the idea of nationalism and the 'world ends' when your society comes crashing down.

I wonder how the people of Europe felt when the Roman empire crashed?
Rome would have been devestated emotionally, yet other countries would have thrown parties in their streets to see the end of such control.
For those inside Rome, they would have no idea as to the effect of this fall on other regions. They only had what they could perceive at the time.

Pompeii is another example. One minute the world is fine and dandy.. the next it would seem as though the world was about to end.. and for many it did.. but again, it was localised.

Today we have the internet reaching almost every part of the world, yet there are those who may still have no idea it exists (Tibetan monks in some remote monastery half way up a mountain perhaps). We are able to reach into the lives and homes of millions of people, yet some small groups cannot see further than the mountain range that blocks their view.

The internet might bring news of your country starting to sink into the oceans but the Tibetan monk will have no idea and carry on his life as normal.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaraThustra
If evolution were real and not just a theory Steven Hawking would be the first to go. More Bull#.

Just by asking that simple question "if" is evolution as described in this thread.
"If i did this" or "If the sky fell" are methods of working out your best options as to what to do next.

Survival is instinct and "if" plays a big part in it.

It appears you answered your own question.. but did not realise it. Perhaps that will make you consider the possibility that you have evolved in some manner, somewhere along the way and will lead to more intelligent questions and discussion at a later period.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Evolution is just a word. Everything is still random, it is not like that expression fades from our horizons. Whether it is design or chance is not the debate; the debate is what is more expressed. Evolution is a word that expresses alot, it has established itself into our history and invokes attention. I find it most important to realize that life never lets go of its roots or GETHRA, no matter how hard it tries.

SVE

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Yea im seeing that more in more as of lately. it often feels as though people aren't ready to hear the things i have learned or at least perceive as a spiritual gain or knowledge. Everytime you finally share those views most people fill you with doubt or judge you with a closed minds towards your insights.

As For evolution you can see it constantly on ats. You can see people starting to open up to there spiritual side and not so much binding themselves with the material of this world. Starting to see more people think for themselves,break the meld and look at the world from a different view.
it happens in all revolutions, but only through unity and love ( i know i sound like a hippy) will we be able to move on to better pastures. if we allow the current mentality of mans lust of the world guide us then we will stay divided by greed and power.

im starting to think 2012 may just be the beginning of an "awakening" period of the general mass consciousness.

(Sorry my post is kinda sloppy real tired but cant stop reading lol)

[edit on 4-7-2009 by verastyle]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I agree any sentient being that can evolve to a point where they can create something as wonderous as this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e8c2ce9f4c7.jpg[/atsimg]

... has got to be wading out of the shallow end of the gene pool

Mr Hawking you rock!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This talk about externally transmitted knowledge, reminds me of the story about the 100th monkey. I find it interesting and some of you are probably already familiar with this..
www.wowzone.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
WOW that really hit a note with me there for some reason
my heart was racing as i was reading the op.

I feel amazing now after reading that, almost zen like.

I Truly feel that we are heading into something special at a continully growing speed. Were gaining potential and momentum!

Thought I Would Drop My Two Cents In!

Peace AnD Love xx

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join