It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I getting warnings about ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm surfing ATS on Chrome and maybe this is a bit of a conspiracy someone could explain to me.

This pops up occasionally:

link img269.imageshack.us...

So... um... wtf is going on? I'm very confused here.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I just started getting that too, what up?

I don't wanna have to stop coming here, but I will if it messes up my computer...I just got it fixed.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well At least I'm not alone.

Has the fed infested the site?

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So we have been infested? This could be bad.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

I really hope not. It would be a great blow in freedom of speech.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There's a thread here already about this; it's not a real warning, but crap from advertisers. I can't seem to find the thread, even though I posted on it, as I was having trouble too, getting redirected over and over to that very ad you're showing, or another with a fake explorer window.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It could be because a few months ago, there were people on ATS getting malware from some of the advertisers.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

What did you do to get rid of it in case it happens to me?
2 lines because I asked the question i needed to ask.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yeah, so.... Everyone calm the hell down. Download Avast! and Malwarebytes. Avast is a free anti virus program that scans things online as connections are made (so it tells you if the page you're connecting to actually has some sort of malware) as long as you have on access protection enabled.

Then if you're still paranoid, use Malwarebytes (also free) about once a week to search for anything that may have gotten through. It WILL find anything wrong.

Oh and a boot time scan with Avast! about once a month will even find and correct registry errors caused by anything that you may have had.

I've said it in other threads, I have had FAR fewer problems using freeware anti virus programs than with the pay for protection garbage.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that these are things you should do anyway, along with deleting history and cookies when you log off. That warning on ATS is a scam advertiser that makes you think your comp is infected so you pay for their crap software.

[edit on 7/3/09 by Magnivea]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
But shouldn't this have been fixed? I thought ATS spoke to the advertisers, so why is it still happening?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
1. Don’t worry even one second. Nothing ATS related will EVER hurt your computer (Lies will only hurt our brain) // EDIT ***//

I use another browser (& the newest virus software). No warnings, no problems with ATS. For years.

2. Btw DON'T use Chrome. “Chrome” by Google and “Microsoft Internet Explorer” are the w-o-r-s-t browsers as to being controlled and observed.

Use Mozilla FIREFOX (secure) or OPERA (even more secure).

3. Maybe also change your anti virus program. But I’d first change the browser.

// *** roadgravel (below):
- At the present time, a computer cannot be damaged by simply browsing/writing on ATS. Malware only functions if it is deliberately implemented as malware by a site owner/programmer, which certainly isn’t the case with ATS. That’s the main point, which I was referring to. Accordingly, as SO writes (below) there was a mere, harmless “appearance” of malware, at the most/if at all.
- A computer might get (rarely) damaged if its browser was redirected to a (non-ATS) malware website and(!) if wrong clicks were additionally made on that other site. But this goes without saying, i.e. to always be careful when you’re redirected to an UNKNOWN site.
- “Ever” was meant based on the above said as a corroboration of the PRESENT situation (browser software, ATS). Of course we cannot foresee/predict the "distant future".

[edit on 4-7-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolBlackHole

Thank you, will do.

I used Firefox but found Chrome faster on some things, but it does have lag spikes.

Meh, I have nothing to hide. If the government wants to know, I let them in to see. Then if I find any record of their presence I sue them.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole
1. Don’t worry even one second. Nothing ATS related will EVER hurt your computer

That's a pretty tall statement. So you are vouching, now and into the distant future, for the ATS IT staff and their advertisers, and advertiser's systems and software.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Actually, this was discovered and corrected several hours ago.

The ad campaign for the "Push" DVD was running off the "eyewonder.com" server which is a well-regarded provider of rich-media banner ads.

The problem is that the ad banner was apparently designed poorly and relied on several calls back to the eyewonder.com server for multiple additional pieces of content... resulting in having the operational appearance of malware.

The ads have been suspended (hours ago) until the advertiser corrects the situation.

top topics

join