It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drink Beer, Win a Trip to Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Drink Beer, Win a Trip to Space

www.space.com

The company behind the dark Irish beer Guinness will give loyal drinkers a taste of space along with their stout, but only if they win new contest.

Guinness has reserved a seat aboard a suborbital Virgin Galactic spaceliner as one of three experience prizes in an online contest honoring the 250th birthday of the beer's brewery this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Guiness Contest

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

Workers to break ground on New Mexico spaceport

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Talk about my kind of contest! This goes to show that space is becoming more accessable every day. Hopefully this new period of private space exploration will lead to innovation and technology that is not kept secret by government.

Here are the other prizes available!

"The two other prizes include an undersea trip to a Guinness bar 229 feet (70 meters) below the ocean's surface near the Lofoten Islands in Norway, as well as a private live studio performance by the band The Black Eye Peas"

I would like to see a picture of this bar that is "229 feet (70 meters) below the ocean's surface"!

-E-

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Oh, you could win a seat on Virgin's Sub-Orbital flight? *YAWN* I thought I might actually win a trip to Space, not just Earth's mid-atmosphere!

Talk about misleading and the need for truth in advertising! I totally got my hopes up!

But, on the up side, it's Guiness...and one doesn't need an excuse to drink more Guiness. I'll certainly drink to their 250th Anniversary regardless!

"It comes in Pints? Wait, Imperial Pints too? I've got to get me one of those!"

[edit on 2-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Well fraterormus, if the mid-atmosphere doesn't do it for you, then you can shoot for the underwater bar (or the black eyed peas, if thats how you roll)

-E-

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I would like to see a picture of this bar that is "229 feet (70 meters) below the ocean's surface"!

blogs.pitch.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sakrateri

Nice! I was just looking at it on Guinness' website

Here is a link to their website where the contest is announced
Guinness Contest

-E-

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Awesome!!!!

I have entered

S&F

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Funny, wasn't there a story about a year or two ago about how a bunch of astronauts have been drunk while flying into space......

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
hahaha love it

sorry this is the best thread evvaaaaa

were do i sign up? i just wish it was friday

can i drink beer in space? hahaha

great thread

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Is it just me or their site is not working anymore?

Also, how do I sign up for the contest? Just on their page, or what's the procedure? What do i have to do?

I always knew I'll be going to space one day!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Wow, an underwater bar; that's amazing. I've entered the contest.
A sub-orbital flgiht would be fun too i suppose, as long as i can be drunk enough.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
haha

sorry for the one liner just thought of doing CHEERS mate at the bar

lol

wish i could bump this so funny

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Haha i can dig that, but why of all beers Guinness?The black coffee beer, why not a nice Belgium trappist beer...Anyhow where can we find the golden ticket? Is it also in the [foreign] stout beer..Cause the regular guinness has more calories then a big meal, but ok i'll go for it!

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Oh, you could win a seat on Virgin's Sub-Orbital flight? *YAWN* I thought I might actually win a trip to Space, not just Earth's mid-atmosphere!

Talk about misleading and the need for truth in advertising! I totally got my hopes up!

But, on the up side, it's Guiness...and one doesn't need an excuse to drink more Guiness. I'll certainly drink to their 250th Anniversary regardless!

"It comes in Pints? Wait, Imperial Pints too? I've got to get me one of those!"

[edit on 2-7-2009 by fraterormus]

Actually the flight is with the Virgin Galactic into space..
AT first i thought not many beerdrinkers [especially the ones winning this] would have the health and condition to go into space but

quote from Virgin

WHAT TRAINING IS INVOLVED?

Virgin Galactic's goal is to end the exclusivity attached to manned space travel which means designing a vehicle which can fly almost anyone to space safely without the need for special expertise or exhaustive, time consuming training.

There will be 3 days of pre-flight preparation, bonding and training onsite at the spaceport .

Our goal is to provide you with the most incredible experience of your life. The trip will be intense, approaching sensory overload and the more that can be simulated beforehand, the better the real thing will be!

Learning how to make the most of your time in zero gravity and tips on how to be most comfortable in macro gravity will form an integral part of your preparation. We expect to use the WhiteKnight carrier aircraft which will feature a duplicate SpaceShipTwo cabin, as an integral part of the preparation experience.

We will ensure that all our passengers can fly safely. This will involve some pre-flight medical checks. Early indicators show that the required medical assessment will be simple and unrestrictive and that the vast majority of people who want to fly, will not be prevented from doing so by health or fitness considerations.

For more information on training please visit our FAQ Section.

top topics

join