It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US opens 'major Afghan offensive'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Strange that this should happen days after the US pulls out from Iraqi cities.

BBC News

The United States army says it has launched a major offensive in against the Taliban in the southern Afghan province of Helmand.

The US military says about 4,000 marines as well as 650 Afghan troops are involved, supported by US warplanes.

Officers on the ground said it was the largest marine offensive since Vietnam.

The operation began when units moved into the Helmand river valley in the early hours of Thursday.

I don't know about anyone else, buit I'm sick to the teeth of this,how many more young men and women have to die in the name of Afghani and Iraqi freedom.

The grounds for war were dubious at best, the grounds for a continuation of war are just laughable, if it wasn't for the young lives at risk.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
But you probably "support the troops" just not the war right?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Do I support the troops? I respect them, I pity them, I wish they'd all come home safe, but as for supporting them? By supporting them do I endorse the false pretext for them being there in the first place, maybe. So I will not say support.

If one could 'support' the troops without supporting the war I would.

This is just my honest opinion.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Under what false pretext are the troops in Afghanistan there under? Were we not attacked by AlQuaeda who are led by those that reside in Afghanistan? Did we not give the Taliban an option to turn them over before we invaded?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
HooRAh!!!! Marines kicking some butt.

The only question I wonder is how long will it be before we start apologizing for the offensive because of the innocent people we kill in the process?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's about time we do something about Afghanistan. But i personally think we should be more concerned with Korea...the Middle East is surrounded by our allies so we don't have to worry...for now.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I hope this "surge" works as well as the one in Iraq. I hope the Marines remember to take no prisoners because in the end they might be your neighbors one day.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft

Under what false pretext are the troops in Afghanistan there under? Were we not attacked by AlQuaeda who are led by those that reside in Afghanistan? Did we not give the Taliban an option to turn them over before we invaded?

Seriously, if you believe that, well, I really don't know what to say.

We will just have to agree to disagree on who was responsible for 911.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Well if you really think the government killed 3000 of its own people just to invade some craphole like Afghanistan then I do not know what to say to you.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Like I said, agree to disagree.

But I think trillions of dollars in oil in Iraq, a pipeline through Afghanistan to tap the Caspian basin oil(estimated worth $12 trillion], and a pretext to tighten control of US citizens maybe, just maybe is worth 3,000 lives in the eyes of the government.

By the way, you do know this is ATS right?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Well I dont exactly see us raking in the profits from these wars, best I can tell we have lost money on the deal.

I agree to disagree, but I dont know what you are getting at about whether I know this is ATS or not. Does that mean that if I am a member of ATS I have to believe that anyone but a bunch of lunatic Muslim terrorists were behind it all?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

No of course not, but you sounded surprised that's all!

I'm actually happy to have someone to argue against with regards to 911.

But don't you have any problems at all with the official story?

I'm not challenging you my friend, just an honest question.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
"Well if you really think the government killed 3000 of its own people just to invade some craphole like Afghanistan"

Well, you do know that this craphole country (a racist description, if I ever heard one) is the major world producer of the poppy plant, which is used to manufacture heroin, a multi-billion dollar commodity? You do know that, don't you?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Honestly I have way less problems with the official story than I do with the conspiracy theories about 911. It is hard to believe that a government which cannot even manage to pay the bills could create the greatest illusion in history while the whole world watched.

They would have had to.
1. Hijack planes
2. Kill all the passengers.
3. Get rid of the bodies
4. Remote fly planes into the WTC and the Pentagon.
5. Loaded the WTC with explosives.
6. Detonated them PERFECTLY to create that type of perfect pancake collapse. TWICE!
7. Hid all evidence of said explosives.
8. Had hundreds of people involved, none of which has spoke a word of it.
9. Be so insane and power mad that they risked their careers and lifes on one of the riskiest ventures known to mankind...WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD WATCHED IT LIVE ON TV.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Well yes I do know that. But then why didnt they attack Columbia too as one of the largest producers of coc aine in the world and most widely sold illegal drug in the world. Also, if we wanted to produce unlimited amounts of poppy plants then surely they could have built the larest most productive hydroponic poppy growing factory in the world for less cost than 911, the country shutting down for a week, two wars, thousands of lives, etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

They can't even pay the bills??

They make money out of thin air guy.

You are still living in the illusion that we work for money. Get it straight.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I think we are all aware that the drug thing isn't the whole picture. Theres the oil pipeline that is a bigger factor. The other issue is we wanted troops in the area. It's obvious we are surrounding Iran and will at some point attack them as well.

top topics

join