It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks to Deploy National Guard to Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Obama Seeks to Deploy National Guard to Border

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is developing plans to seek up to 1,500 National Guard volunteers to step up the military's counter-drug efforts along the Mexican border, senior administration officials said Monday.

The plan is a stopgap measure being worked out between the Defense Department and the Homeland Security Department, and comes despite Pentagon concerns about committing more troops to the border -- a move some officials worry will be seen as militarizing the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Is this for real or show?

Are they sending the National Guard down there to really stop drugs and Illegals or is this in response to the near civil war conditions in Mexico?

Last I checked, the drug cartels combined just about equaled the entire Mexican Army. From all reports, its pretty much out of control down there. Perhaps Obama will secure our borders....that in and of itself would be a GREAT thing!

I have never been much of a Bush basher but not securing our southern border was the BIGGEST ball that W dropped in my opinion!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Wow. I don't want to get my hopes up, this is almost to good to be true!

I have always said that instead of deploying the reserves and national guard overseas to fight in lame conflicts that benefit nor secure us much, that they should be used to augment the border patrol. It would be efficient. No shipping them abroad, they can stay home and do they job they wanted to in the first place: defend America. And, the experience and training they would receive patrolling the borders would be above anything that a half-arsed weekend drill could provide.

However, I've learned to be suspicious when I think I see sensible decisions coming from Washington, as there is usually some ulterior motive mixed in, and this clown currently in the oval office is no exception.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Border protection is the best thing our armed forces could be doing for our nation.

I haven't been too happy with Obama as of late, but this is a step in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ha, they may catch a few little guys... But the cartels are shipping the stuff into the country in LEGAL shipping containers, into our ports, where these containers are then moved to distribution warehouses, and then onto LEGAL commercial trucks (shipped along with normal freight) and distributed all over the country.

They have been doing it this way for a long time now, the cartels know who to pay off, they have feds on their payroll! They also have some associates inside US crime syndicates who help keep things moving and, keep the feds in check.

This will not be stopped, because it funds covert government activities, and is a great source of supplemental income for a lot of feds. Not only that having friends in such low places can have a lot of advantages.

Good luck stopping the drugs at the border President Obama.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maybe obama shuold investigate and look into persoanlly, how much of the drugs are CIA opeations or inlfuenced.. tath shuold put some air brakes on whats comin in!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is fantastic news! Ever since 9/11, it has been a sham that we have not plugged up our borders, especially the border with Mexico! Building the 'wall' was a sham to make it look like something was being done. I've got to commend President Obama for doing this. It's about time. Of course, I'm sure that Darth Cheney will still insist that we are less safe now, but this proves him wrong!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Um, did you read the report?

This is not about halting illegal immigration, it is planned to "step up the military's counter-drug efforts along the Mexican border"

Which is silly when only a small fraction of the drugs come in from the border region. The bulk of drugs do not come into the country across the Mexican border. (see my previous post)

This is simply a political stunt aimed at a target demographic.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Fighting the non-controlled cartels? Anyway, Obama said this last year too and nothing came out of it... So.

And the US-Mexico border is 3169km wide... 1500 soldiers... meaning 1 soldier for every 1.9 km...

And Obama wants to grant amnesty to all illegals, so IMO it's just a move to say that he ``secured the border``, so now it's time to have a solution to the problem by giving amnesty.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Officials said the program would mainly seek out guard members for surveillance, intelligence analysis and aviation support. Guard units would also supply ground troops who could assist at border crossings and with land and air transportation.

Translation: The national guard will not be allowed to confront smuggler and illegal immigrants.

I would not get too excited, my feeling is that any guardsmen will be just sweltering in the heat, unarmed, and only to observe and report.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

And if the National Guard takes over the anti-drug portion, Border Patrol can divert assets to illegal immigration. So.....

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Walkswithfish

If you think for one second that the southern border is not a pipe line for drugs you are so misinformed , It is the biggest drug market in the world bare none read projects.latimes.com...#/its-a-war

[edit on 103030p://pmvpm by yenko13]

[edit on 103030p://pmvpm by yenko13]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

They'll be told to face North and not to turn their heads from side to side. Really!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

I know... so what did I say in my post that hinted that I didn't know about it?

In my post, I said it was just PR to pass amnesty, to look good and to fight non-CIA-controlled cartels.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Vitchilo I quoted the wrong poster sorry about that

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

For the record I really do know what I am talking about here.

I am not misinformed at all.

You just wait and see what impact this has on drug sales and distribution in the future, even if they completely close the border!

It will not even make a dent in the US illegal drug market, though it may eliminate some pesky small time competition.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the guard is being put on the border to guard what's going into Mexico not what's leaving. They are looking for Americans leaving with money or weapons that could supposedly be used to buy drugs in Mexico.

I'm so not joking...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the guard is being put on the border to guard what's going into Mexico not what's leaving. They are looking for Americans leaving with money or weapons that could supposedly be used to buy drugs in Mexico.

I'm so not joking...

I was about to say most of the responses on this thread were Tom Tancredo-inspired, but you just nailed it, dude. A star for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I thought it was the Canadian border.

I heard Tim Geitner found one of those dang pennies in the Federal Reserve and he had a fit!

Seriously, It's probably to secure Texas because they keep talking about leaving the 'union'.
I just don't trust him.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well I live right in El Paso on the border.
The violence had gone down big time during the past months. However, it has risen as of late. All of the murders occur in Mexico. There have been innocent Americans killed across the border, due to just being bystanders. I'm not sure what is the point of bringing troops over for "protection," because there hasn't been deaths on our side. Perhaps as a deterrent? ...The drugs will find their way over, one way or another. Just my .02 cents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join