It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Joins "Neocolonial" Rush for Africa's Land and Labour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

India Joins "Neocolonial" Rush for Africa's Land and Labour

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/5673437/India-joins-neocolonial-rush-for-Africas-land-and-labour.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/u rl]

India, once the colonial jewel of Britain's empire, has been accused of 'neo-colonialism' in Africa where its business people have joined a race with China, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere to buy up agricultural estates and take advantage of cheap labour.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
As rising powers it appears India and China are emulating the West's history of development in more than one way...of course, many argue that colonialism never went away, and the Anglo-American corporate greedheads who have been raping Africa for decades are merely being replaced by new kids on the block...

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/5673437/India-joins-neocolonial-rush-for-Africas-land-and-labour.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The links need fixing, just so you know.
Second line
Third Line

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Do you really think colonialism was ever limited to Europeans and Americans? get real.

The Arabs were raping and draining Africa when Europeans were still clubbing each other over the head during the dark ages.

If anyone thinks that somehow China and India will be any different in their treatment of markets and global expansion, then they are smoking some bad dope.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Been expecting this now that we have a multi-polar world

It will only go down hill from here

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
They came from India for business opportunities decades ago. The Chines have colonialized a bunch of poor countries by paying off military thugs with cash.

Egypt and Saudi Arabia installed a puppet regime in the Sudan. First thing on the agenda is murder a million black troublemakers.

Zimbabwe was liberated from the British 1980. Now their liberator Mugabe has
drained the coffers and the people starve. It was once a beautiful country with a robust agricultural economy feeding millions.

All intensely tragic.

The poor ignorant black population at least were able to eat with European colonialism. Now they will be bled dry again with Asian masters who have no concern for them.

The IMF won't even bother making loans to cutthroat leaders that could never be repaid, in exchange for resource contracts.

Africa is sad. Resource rich but always exploited due to their ignorance.

People will disagree with this. People who have never stepped foot on the continent.

Mike

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
The poor ignorant black population at least were able to eat with European colonialism. Now they will be bled dry again with Asian masters who have no concern for them.

I don't disagree with the majority of your post, but I do disagree with this.

I don't think the European Colonists actually cared much either, beyond getting them to work for them and using their resources.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

I don't disagree with the majority of your post, but I do disagree with this.

I don't think the European Colonists actually cared much either, beyond getting them to work for them and using their resources.

Well I agree with you. So there.

I found the British tended to 'go native' a bit more. They often tried to at least understand what made things tick with the original inhabitants.

No way of reducing the history of colonization to a few examples and flip comments.

Myself I think places like India benefited in the long run. Of course no one knows what India would have been like had history been different.

But not much to salvage from the raw brutality of modern colonialism.

Everywhere was colonized at some point in time. Some did well from it, others not.

Mike

[edit on 29-6-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Everywhere was colonized at some point in time. Some did well from it, others not.

Concurrence is rife!

There are 'degrees' of colonisation, I guess. A bit like the curate's egg?

[edit on 29-6-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Do you really think colonialism was ever limited to Europeans and Americans? get real.

The Arabs were raping and draining Africa when Europeans were still clubbing each other over the head during the dark ages.

If anyone thinks that somehow China and India will be any different in their treatment of markets and global expansion, then they are smoking some bad dope.

Totally agreed...Anglo-American colonialism is simply the most recent and notable example.

top topics

join