It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net big enough for Michael Jackson and Iran?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

P.S, youre really not guilty of it. Your thread is about the net handling all the web hits on him. At least you arent one of those others claiming he was killed. Honestly, but after all this is a conspiracy site.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by AR154

Whats really scary is just how easily the web can get overwhelmed. Just imagine there was really something of substance.

I think now with the internet when bad things happen, we may feel closer to the situation and more scared.

For example world war 2 was a terrible event, but for many who stayed in the small villages, towns etc that didn't get effected much, they never really experienced the horror as much.

But if the internet was around then, people would be spreading personal horror stories, news would spread in an instant, rumours would be coming in at every angle. Basically people will be more panicked, because in a way they are closer to the action. The internet would go crazy.

Ignorance is bliss.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Indeed, and don't get me wrong, he did more to get "famous" than anybody even remotely considered a celebrity today. He actually earned his money and his place in the world. Perhaps the only celebrity death that would have a bigger impact worldwide today is Muhammad Ali's. Trust me when I say you will know when that happens, the internet might very well explode.

I'm just upset with the pattern the media has developed. Mainstream news reports on every mundane incident that happens in the "lives" of famous people. A legitimate news network should not report on lindsay lohan or jon and kate. Thats what dumb shows on vh1 and tmz are for.

This is someone of actual significance yet I can't acknowledge it because it's grouped in with all the celebrity garbage. People reported about on "actual" news shows should have atleast done something to warrant them being reported about. The fact that there was a worldwide response reinforces that he was an actual icon and not just some random person talked up by the US media.

Can't say I mind the playing of his music in his memory, better than anything out there today.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Actually there was, just a few years ago...you might remember it and while it did tax the system, we as a whole were not quite as ingrained with the internet on 9/11. Sure, some us were old hands and used the net to its ability. But think about how only Blackberry was the only communication getting messages through at the time. Cell towers (those standing) were quickly overwhelmed. Emergency frequencies were all jammed to the point of calls not getting out between fire, rescue/EMT and police.

Had 9/11 happened today. Yeah, bandwidth would exceed capacity especially in the NY tri-state area. Yet there is something to be said for MJ: for only being 50 he had entertained from the 60's up through the 2000's. Pretty impressive for a guy that only has 12 years on me. Since the best I can say is a scant 5 years around 20 years ago and then only to a mostly local outlet or narrow groups of individuals nationally that had no idea it was me (nor cared) in the few glimpses on cable.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

But the mans death almost single handedly crashed the web. Thank heaven something of international importance didn't come along at that point.

When did the masses ever give a *bleep* for anything international?

It doesn't touch their lives.

Michael did.

He sold more records than anyone in history and his audience spanned all age groups and ethnicities.

I don't see the big surprise here.

Who in the USA really gives a *bleep* what's going on in Iran anyway (comparatively speaking)?

Do a numbers check.

It isn't many.

peace

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Whats easy to see but still shocking every time is how mass-media dictates mass-consciousness. "Economic Crisis is important. Now all please focus on that". "Now its Swine Flu please. All eyes on Swine Flu". "Now its Iran." "Nope, now its Michael Jackson".

Lemmings.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading the headline.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join