It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net big enough for Michael Jackson and Iran?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Net big enough for Michael Jackson and Iran

www.msnbc.msn.com

News of Michael Jackson’s death broke on the Internet late Thursday afternoon. Not long after that, the Internet broke too. Twitter crashed, as did Michael Jackson’s Wikipedia entry. Facebook lumbered under countless Michael Jackson video uploads retrieved from an over-accessed YouTube, and both ground to a halt.

Everything else online, including the historic battle over democracy currently being raged in Iran, paled as people clambered onto social networks to confirm what they were hearing was really true
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c33b40ba4d1b.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm sorry but I thought this was too funny.

Here we have Iran falling apart. Russia and the US negotiating Nuclear Arms reduction.

BUT the biggest story?

Michael Jackson
I liked Michael and many of his songs but he didn't split the Atom nor found the cure for Cancer enough already. Skeptic Overlord it was a great move with replacing the ATS server apparently you guys must have known this was coming down the pike.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Skeptic Overlord it was a great move with replacing the ATS server apparently you guys must have known this was coming down the pike.

Known it? Hmm...SO just might have paid the doctor off with some ATS points in order to use this as a live "burn test". We may never really know for sure.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just imagine if Kim jong-ill gets jealous of Michael Jackson's attention so he starts a war with the US. There won't be enough news time, internet bandwidth or reporters to report all these consistently at the same time.

At least no-one will waste bandwidth mourning kim jong-ills death.

The whole michael jackson stuff will subside tomorrow as long as nothing new comes out.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Everyone has to remember that Micheal Jacksons life touched most peoples lives in one way or another. So of course this is going to happen! Why are some people suprised?

It's not like his life is worth more than random people, it's just that people have grown up with him, music has been influenced by him, the world changed by him, so of course people are going to check out the news etc. It's what happens when somebody is famous, just live with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Oh I understand....

But the mans death almost single handedly crashed the web. Thank heaven something of international importance didn't come along at that point.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
"He healed the world..." I heard someone say. Well sorry, I'm not old enough to remember this healing of the world they speak of.

It's not a question of whose death(s) is more important, it's a of whose death(s) are more important RIGHT NOW. US news coverage of Iran has all but ceased since MJ died.

john124...lmao. Let's hope. I'm watching him singing "We are the World" right now.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Staringintoinfinity]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The way the media bounces from one story to the next, with no concern for priorities, really is nauseating.

I just clicked over from my MSN homepage, and now recall precisely why I never use it. The front story is, of course, Michael Jackson. Directly below are three more links to separate articles about Mr. Jackson. Then we move on to "How to Annoy a Flight Attendant" and the "photos of the week". Sorry, Iran--you'll have to make more of an effort to entertain us.

Top notch reporting, eh?

I need to change my homepage.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Oh Yeah.

Last night I wanted to check on a few stories I was following and all they had splashed everywhere were stories about what he ate, what he wore and who he knew.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Whats easy to see but still shocking every time is how mass-media dictates mass-consciousness. "Economic Crisis is important. Now all please focus on that". "Now its Swine Flu please. All eyes on Swine Flu". "Now its Iran." "Nope, now its Michael Jackson".

Lemmings.

Nevertheless I slightly disagree with your view: Jackson has had more impact on the world and its mindset than many of these politicians. In fact, some of the Iranian protesters are of the westernized Jeans- and Pop-Music generation...something they might not even be without people like Jackson.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

S&F Slayer

You have a point about the ATS upgrade servers on Friday. The must have ESP. Actually the amount of hits we get each day is extrordinay, from both members and non-members.

I heard Google crashed yesterday for 40 minutes and not sure if that's true. I'm surprised about youtube but facebook probably wasnt prepared.

I'm hoping CNN will crash, to much Michael Jackson. I liked him for a while too but come on, lets talk news for a while, same with Fox. I turned off the TV.

The net not being big enough is scary. What if we had a national disaster? Or something to really write home about?

This is the only ATS Jackson story I hit on. Some claim he was murdered. The titles seem a bit off.

Later,
edit spelling

[edit on 26-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree that Michael Jckson was a legacy. No one came close, except Elvis and now all we have is Elton John.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Even here at ATS.

TOO MUCH.

Leave the man and his family alone and end it already...
Even this thread is guilty of it.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is america and when a celebrity dies, all other relevant events in the world cease. Anna nicole Smith's death single handedly stopped all wars and disagreements worldwide for 2 months. Everytime I hear her name, I want to find a tv, put on a news channel, and throw a cinderblock through said tv
. You have civilians overseas legitimately going through an event that will define their generation but we have to backlog any technology they could use to try to communicate because an american celebrity died.

At the same time, he atleast did something legitimate to become famous. He made pop music that didn't have that commercial cheesy vibe all modern music has. He deserves the coverage and I'd like to not be fed up with the media but I can't tolerate it due to the previous media debacle with ANS.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I am not surprised by the attention this is getting in every outlet. I am surprised more sites have not crashed. I also don't believe this will go away that quickly. Remember Elvis? We have many movies ahead of us about his life, many specials to come and finally a yearly birthday, death memorials.

I was fully entrenched in music during the 80's when he broke through with the whole beat it/thriller deal. I, however, never liked his music. Not really a pop or dance fan.

If my favorite musician died, I might be sad for a moment, but I certainly would not be balling my eyes out or holding candle light vigils etc. This is the part I don't get. Lennon was really the only one I sort of get, just because of the political/peace association along with the Beatle thing obviously.

Having said that, I dont get the Elvis thing or the Cobain thing, or this one or any others. Along with any other type of entertainer, like actors for instance.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Eitimzevinten

It wasnt just Americans but pretty much the whole planet.
Well atleast we know he was loved.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's because this story is more interesting to 99% of people.

Iranians are angry, people still in power want a crackdown, people keep protesting, how is the story different to what it was yesterday, or when the whole thing started? Not forgetting that they stopped media coverage of the protests, so what else is there to see.

This however is fresh news

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

Whats really scary is just how easily the web can get overwhelmed. Just imagine there was really something of substance.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by AR154

Whats really scary is just how easily the web can get overwhelmed. Just imagine there was really something of substance.

Hehe yeah I was wondering that too. I was within reach of pretty much every news source on any medium possible at the time we first heard the news. It was everywhere, and constant. I don't think the problems would be limited to the web.

I Thought to myself how it'd be possible to cover events if, say, a nuclear bomb went off and, I don't know, an alien spaceship lands, in separate and unrelated events. How could the time be split between them? How could a news reporter talk about a nuclear bomb and aliens without totally losing it and not knowing what to do?

I don't think it's really been tested yet, seems weeks can go by without anything 'newsworthy' popping up so the media gets to repeat everything again and again...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well Slayer I think it's easier said than done. The guy was an icon. I'm not in to all the hoopla but am shocked he's dead. Must have been another accidental OD

All I know is there will be a fight over money and they'll stick him in the freezer that he paid millions for, unless he defaulted on the payment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join