It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A robot displaying human emotion has been unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Kobian, a "humanoid" robot, which can express seven human emotions, has been unveiled by researchers at Waseda University in Japan.

Source Link: www.telegraph.co.uk...

The Emotional Humanoid Robot can express seven different feelings, including delight, surprise, sadness and dislike. In addition to assuming different poses to match the mood, Kobian uses motors in its face to move its lips, eyelids and eyebrows into various positions, according to pinktentacle.

To express delight, for example, the robot puts its hands over its head and opens it mouth and eyes wide.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yes, Yes, Yes I'm the first to say it.

"Red Dwarf"!

C'mon you see the resemblance. Will read the article now!

- This mixed with Asimo would be a great robot, getting closer, but still can't find that missing link between robot and human, closer and closer each day!

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Republican08]

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So what's going to happen the first time your robot asks you if the new steel makes her look fat? It's not like you can feed her chocolate and shut her up. Be careful what you wish for gentleman.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Anybody can program any computer to imitate human emotion. Where is the proof that this robot acts on it's own recognisances?

1 Input "if balloon pops"
2 Then "Raise eye brows and make O shape with mouth"
3 if nothing else happens END else goto 1

End

See a simple program to cause a reaction to an action, not really a programming language but you get the idea.

[edit on 6/24/09 by Djdoubt03]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
COOL! A robot that can now teach us how to behave humanely. Seriously maybe we can learn from something we created since we apparently havent learned from the one(s) who created us. Oh and this thingamajig better not come preloaded with Winblows and better not be sold in Wallyworld and better not be made in China because if it is we are totally screwed. Or am I just overreacting? I shall name mine Blasphemy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

a complex puppet or an animated character can express different emotions, it doesn't mean the actually have that emotion.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by max.is.awake
COOL! A robot that can now teach us how to behave humanely. Seriously maybe we can learn from something we created since we apparently havent learned from the one(s) who created us. Oh and this thingamajig better not come preloaded with Winblows and better not be sold in Wallyworld and better not be made in China because if it is we are totally screwed. Or am I just overreacting? I shall name mine Blasphemy.

Blasphemy it is then!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
i just had a thought

even though i dnt really beileve were being controlled by aliens i do beileve were controlled by demons

maybe when they have the perfect working slave robot they wont need us anymore.........?

or even worse maybe the police force may be robotized therefore not having any emotions and can kill ppl without regret

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

a complex puppet or an animated character can express different emotions, it doesn't mean the actually have that emotion.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Human-controlled marionettes have been doing this for a long time. The only difference here is that the instead of humans directly controlling the face to imitate emotions, a computer (programmed by humans) is controlling the face to imitate emotions.

What they basically did here was program a computer that can move a puppet's eyes, mouth, head, and arms in specific ways to emulate emotions.

It's an interesting mechanical engineering feat, but not really much to do with Artificial Intelligence (AI).

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is awesome! Now the robots that will exterminate us can cackle gleefully and smile with delight as they wade into crowds with chainsaw-arms pumping furiously, shredding flesh and bone. Makes for a much more satisfying experience, IMO.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by moonwilson

Yep thats how i see it too i hope i get killed by Bender maybe he will join me at happy hour before the bending of my body occurs by his shiny metal bum and in case no one noticed this is the same robot that they unveiled a few months ago that could walk up and down stairs so they basically modified it which means in a few months from now it will be equipped reproductive organs and THEN the slaughterfest begins is it me or is every freaking scifi movie becoming a reality for anyone here thats never done drugs please dont use it distorts your perception of reality dreams fantasies and fears and rolls them all up into a not so nice mindsnip

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

I agree, it would take a lot more than just a few emotional expressions to make this bot really be considered AI. To be honest the Honda Asimo robot is closer to AI than this thing. True AI is still probably a long way off.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've said it before and I will say it again I just can't wait for robots to become popular! It's gonna be sooooo fun with the advanced AI.

Let's just hope we use them for good and not for war crap, why does everything have to be used for WAR!?

[edit on 24-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

join