It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60,000 US inmates sexually abused each year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

60,000 US inmates sexually abused each year

rawstory.com

A federal commission on prison rape has concluded that the risk of being attacked depends greatly on the type of prisoner, and where the inmate is locked up. More than 60,000 inmates are sexually abused every year, according to a report being made public Tuesday by the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
One more reason not to end up in jail .

Just think of all the inmates that are abused and don't report it , this number could be much much higher .

Is there anything that the authorities could do to deal with this problem or is abuse a fact of life in prison ?

What is it that makes an otherwise " straight " man commit abusive homosexual acts ? is it out of some need to dominate others ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Oh well, that should be taken as another reason for these punks to keep themselves out of jail.

Of course the system is flawed...and I'm sure there are a handful of prisoners that are worthy of some level of sympathy. Though, for the most part, I don't really feel bad for (hard core) criminals. Maybe it sounds cruel but there are much better causes to get behind IMO.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I always thought that putting someone in prison, who may of done something minorly, and then sending them to prison knowing they were going to get raped, is cruel and unusual punishment.

I know ATS hates, loathes, despises anyone in prison, (even though we have the largest amount of prisoners in the world) that seems a bit off to me?

The prison system here sucks, bad. Judges don't care though, just like ATS.

I have no sympathy for charles manson, or child molestors, but if a guy was defending his home, and killed a man, and legality wise, they put him in prison knowing he'd get raped, that doesn't seem right.

Although they have to meet their quota!

Edit to add: I'm actually really surprised the number isn't much larger? 60,000 well that seems a bit low. I'm sure it's actually much much higher.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

I doubt the hardcore criminals are the ones being raped, I think it's the ones that deserved sympathy.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Yeah, there really needs to be better segregation between prison populations.

Admit it everyone, we all make mistakes, and some have been caught for their mistakes that have landed them in the stony lonesome. There is no reason for sexual abuse to be so rampant in our correctional facilities.

As Republican08 said, I also have no sympathy for serial killers, child molesters etc...So it is wrong to put someone in prison for self defense, even shoplifting and be exposed to such horrible abuse.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I tend to agree with you on that .

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is easily preventable.

Just another symptom of a very sick system...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

LMAO, sorry for the acronym. I love how everyone on here is so, subtle or surprised when they agree with me, even a little bit!

Scooby, i've been in the stoney lonesome, not prison but jail, for mainly being young and dumb. I got lucky and was put in a nice group, 24 of the friendliest guys you'd ever meet, although the joint across from us, was a fight everyday, I saw stuff that would keep me up at night. The guards thought it was extremely funny though, and would joke about the atrocities.

I got a step, brother, distant from the family but a close family though. He's serving a 2 year sentence, in a hard prison, and well, I know he's in the statistics. It's tough.

We all think that rape only happens to women, and that slavery was only in america and was only put on black people.

Slavery still goes on today, in africa with indians, in europe and america with child sex slaves. There are millions of slaves and noone is the least bit mad! They still complain about how it was hundreds of years ago, and miss it happening right infront of their faces.

Rape doesn't just happen to women, what is it like 1 out of every 5 reported rape cases were male victims. It's not near as big as women, but it's there and in your face. Very sad.

Another thinking error is that only african tribes and villages are starving. While the homeless people you see, are just drunks and losers who have no ambition.

Well ask yourself this, how hard do you think it'd be to get a job, when you have NO family, NO money, NO place to live. Extremely difficult.

Yes, some of us, have gone from homeless to mediocrity. But it's been tough as nails, and some are just less fortunate.

I think the problem is back to MSM, we only see one side, and think that's the only place it's going on.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For all that humans have accomplished we sure have a long way to go... Everyone seems to think that prisoners deserve this, but when we lock people up for non violent crimes and have the largest prison population in the world you have to wonder when you will be the one who got what you deserved

Prison is meant for rehabilitation or keeping society safe from those who can't be rehabilitated, it is not for torture or rape. People who try to justify that are as bad as the people who are locked up.

I really can't tell if society is in some kind of downward spiral or if it has always been like this but instead of dungeons in castles we have just have high tec prison complexes.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by miraclerock

Good question, i've thought for quite some time on that, if we're in a downward spiral or it's always been this bad.

Well at least we're not in medievil times, but I think we were better off in the 1920's then we are now. (besides great depression, and racism). Which is chump change to what we're seeing now.

When a protest actually influenced gov't decisions. Now a protest just gets you laughed out of the street.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The so called most Christian nation on earth (lol) has more persons in jail then any other nation in the world.

The so called Christian nation will face a judge soon who may say to those who say ..."we preached, healed , traveld the world for you" and He will reply.."depart from me...I never knew you..."

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
i always wondered this,,,,,,

even if your in jail,,,,, you should have some right to safety

how come no one sues for being raped,,,,,, just cause your in jail,,, doesn't mean whatever happens , happens

of course to prove it,,, what would you have to have pics or doctor documentation,,,,, that your a virgin,,, and your sphincter is tight???

seriously,,,

why is it,,, that we almost expect or think that "well, that just happens in jail"

we deplore anyone who would rape,,, say a women on the street,,,, why is it different just because it's in jail????

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
You break a window you get your ASS broken,,,, YAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Next time they will think before they do horrible things!

+ it helps reform them!

Now thats justice!

[edit on 24-6-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
What is sad is that this is a phenomenon that is truly America.

I agree with posters that mention this is usually the minimal offender being abused by cruel and abusive criminals.

This has a lot to do with the fact that the US loves to put people in prison. Non-violent crimes need to be dealt with differently in this nation, as they are in most of the civilized world.

This would all improve tomorrow with decriminalization of a few select substances, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
What is sad is that this is a phenomenon that is truly America.

I agree with posters that mention this is usually the minimal offender being abused by cruel and abusive criminals.

This has a lot to do with the fact that the US loves to put people in prison. Non-violent crimes need to be dealt with differently in this nation, as they are in most of the civilized world.

This would all improve tomorrow with decriminalization of a few select substances, in my opinion.

GAWD BLES AMEWIKA

YOu do the crime you get done!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
THe way the nation is going , it could be us in one of these prisons living these horrors because we post on forums, for example. What happens when we are all made the criminals.

Something needs to be done about the prisons. They need to be taken from the private sector and not be made for profit any longer.

In everything else I say leave it private, health care etc, but not this.
We need to stop throwing away peoples lives for money. The ones that need to be there , let them be there. Someone who is there because they have an addiction, lets treat THAT , lets educate at least a basic education and make it required before you leave if given parole .

Prison should not be one large gang meeting. Something has to be done.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yep America has the hightest prison population.

Thats because we don't immediatly execute murderers, rapist, drug abusers and theives like other countries.

We could start. Im sure that will lower the prison rape.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
To think we are sending juveniles to prison more and more makes this statistic sickening to think about.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

So, when your mother, sister or daughter gets raped by those who learned to rape while in prison, or just learned how it is done by watching, listening to stories or being abused themselves, you can look at yourself in the mirror and know that you had a part in it due to your lack caring for humanity.

Like the corrupt prison staff that allows this not only to occur, but thinks it is more than an appropriate to treat human beings in this manner themselves deserve to be locked up for eternity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join