It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Donnie Darko real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
or at least the ideas? the idea of a tangent universe that closes and only leaves traces in peoples' dreams, because the living receiver (in the movie of course, Donnie) touches the people in the tangent universe he encountered.

do you think this happens in real life? and do you think some people have to sacrifice themselves to save the cosmic order like he did?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I've been wanting to watch that again. I'm downloading right now. I'll comment in a couple of hours.

Peace

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It's a film that covers things ATSers know a bit about so I see the attraction. The only problem is it's like religion... no real solid proof to say whether it is or not.
I remember the film really annoyed me, it actually @@@sed me off a bit but I can't remember why... It would be nice to know how the original idea came about, what the writer's thoughts are...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm not sure but that is one of my favorite movies of modern times. It took me like 10 times or so to really figure it out, and I still don't know if I have it figured out because everyone I know whos seen it has a different view of it! I own it and still watch it ALL the time its my wife and i's favorite movie (of movies made in recent times) Its really weird and makes you think a lot, thats what I look for in movies....

But anyways, I am going to ponder this some more and post my thoughts later in the day.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by jouseroni]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
What movie?

What movie?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

The movie is DONNIE DARKO. Here is the link for the IMDB page.

www.imdb.com...

Note to Mods: If the link is not allowed, my apologies.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
or at least the ideas? the idea of a tangent universe that closes and only leaves traces in peoples' dreams, because the living receiver (in the movie of course, Donnie) touches the people in the tangent universe he encountered.

Some pretty advanced ideas in said picture, most people dont put it in the sci fi genre but it clearly is. There was a special DVD where they actually wrote a version of the time travel book and I will see if I can find it online.

The most interesting scene to me is the warp tunnel where Donnie is led to his dads gun. Other than that we have full on interlinked timelines, synchronicity signs and affiliated phenomenon a fully interconnected universe (cellar door).

We have the theme that Iam sure many of us recognise. The person who actually has seen the light through the fog has lost it by conventional means and is stuck in a loop ( keeps checking the mail ). Interesting to note that the film makes a point of letting everyone know the author was a nun even though the book is in a scientific vein.

Originally posted by Donnie Darko do you think this happens in real life? and do you think some people have to sacrifice themselves to save the cosmic order like he did?

Yeah, I think just as the forces of evil have a presence on the physical realm the forces of good have an avatar aswell.

Donnie is pretty much a superhero/saviour who can perform miracles, he can manipulate metals, has super strength ( put an axe in a bronze statue ), can manipulate water, can see through time open worm holesand change the course of history.

Why has he been bestowed these powers? I feel the idea is that Donnie is basically possesed by his higher self, the part that is touch with god, his deamon and takes it upon himself to change the course of history or in effect, set history on a better track.

Why do I think this is the case, because I feel that Jesus was a person possesed by his higher self and Donnie Darko is just a varient on this architype. His experiences start in his dreams and are therefore instigated by his (subconscious) higher self.

This is going to sound like a corny way to answer your question "Does this happen in real life" the I would say there is a hero in all of us. Everything is interconnected and if we want the "solidified" history to be one of progress then we all must make a sacrifice or three. For instance I believe we all have a higher self that runs through the same incarnations over and over again until it runs one that it is happy with. Thats the sacrifice we make, we have to run through our lives over and over again to make a perfect reality in the end until we put things on the right track.
We die over and over again for this system to work.

In helping me explain this lets look at the film. Donnie Darko is clearly the main character and the hero. But he would be nowhere if it wasnt for the people that interacted with him. Even the bad characters of the story, even the pervert motivational speaker, act as guides to him just as Frank does.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I too own the DVD unless I loaned it out but I have only seen it once awhile back. I liked it but I should watch it a couple of more times.

I had a dream or more captured an astral happening the other night,
it was a blond girl with a ponytail, white tanktop and jeans, going into a swimming pool then like a film in reverse come out a few slight changes to hair and eye color and back again, then in reverse. I observed this happen 3 times before I woke up in the middle of the night. It was just sort of strange.

Is the "Butterfly Effect" a similar film, I own it but just have not been able to watch it.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I watched it a couple of times and I am still baffled?
But, I got the impression that he(Donnie) was really just going Nuts and had a flash of insight into the future,which has been known to make some go crazy, knew he was losing his mind, and let himself be killed in the end. Just my take on the whole thing. Especially since the "future" scenes were always after he fell asleep. Sort of like Premonition(another good sci fi Movie) Where she wakes, her husband's dead, goes to sleep, wakes again, he's alive. I won't tell you the end, but basically the same concept, but without her losing her mind.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ahh Donnie Darko, the only movie I have ever watched and left asking WHAT THE HELL!? I seriously didn't understand this movie. When people try to explain it I lose them when they get halfway.

Great movie. Just a damn hard thing to understand for me personally.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So "Cellar Door" actually means Wormhole! That makes perfect sense ....

second line

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
By far my most favourite movie of all time. I can honestly say I've watched it twice a week for the past two years. I know it's insane but there is something so peaceful and alluring about the movie.

I, too, have a hard time explaining it to people who watch it and are confused.

And I have also thought about whether this movie can be applied to our lives now and have yet to come up with any sort of logical answer.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
So "Cellar Door" actually means Wormhole! That makes perfect sense ....

second line

Like an apex or flashpoint in timespace. And on the subconscious/higher self level when they discuss "a famous philosopher was once asked what is the most beautiful word in the english language" they all actually know the importance of it relative to them and saving the world. Like we see in reallife when we think or pray and converse about something we tend to manifest it, or move things towards that timeline like the cosmic ordering/affirmations idea.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I've been wanting to watch that again. I'm downloading right now. I'll comment in a couple of hours.

Peace

I need to watch that movie again as well, it's been awhile. I also need to watch S. Darko. It's the sequel to Donnie Darko. I

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The movie wasn't made to make sense and has many loose ends.

I'll try to find a detailed analysis i read, but that just asks more unanswered questions

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This movie is from the same director.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I see a different story. DD..could mean that the viewer only sees half of his existence and that there are two of everyone.

In the dimension he exists, he has dellusions and connections to this existence through energy forms and psychic interaction with the universe. The engine falling on him to me is really an ethnogenic compund of some kind. A weight bigger than his comprehension as he is jolted into the mobeus of his unchanging life. And the events actually might also as I suspect mind altering influentials which might trigger a confused brain into some kind of violence. So watch what your thinking. And dont forget how it feels walking away from a movie in a theater, dizzy and disoriented..as if you were just intoxicated.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
And dont forget how it feels walking away from a movie in a theater, dizzy and disoriented..as if you were just intoxicated.

Nice observation.

Id like to point out another great bit in that film.

While looking in a mirror ( mirrors distort timespace )Donnie says something to Frank like...

"Why the stupid rabbit suit?"

Frank answers so...

"Why the stupid man suit?"

I think Frank is saying that the human body is like a vehicle or spacesuit for experiencing the material 3d world. And when we wear a suit for protection or greater capability it sometimes restricts our view or other senses.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Majestic23]

top topics

join