It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employees of Japan Finance Ministry Arrested in Italy Trying To Smuggle 134 Billion in US Treasuries

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Employees of Japan Finance Ministry arrested in Italy trying to smuggle $134 Billion in U.S. Treasuries in suitcases

www.turnerradionetwork.com

Two Japanese men arrested by Italian Police while trying to smuggle $134 Billion in U.S. Treasury Bonds concealed in suitcases, out of Italy into Switzerland, are employees of the Finance Ministry of Japan.

Turner Radio Network has now confirmed the two men arrested by Italy were trying to secretly dump Bonds that were previously held by the nation of Japan. The men arrested have told Italian police they were ordered to move the Bonds by the government of Japan because the Japanese government has lost faith in the ability of the U.S. government to repay its debts.

Despite assurances fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
2 Japanese Carrying $134 Bil Worth Of U.S. Bonds Detained in Italy

[edit on 20-6-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is not a suprise. Everyone knew this story was huge!
Turner Radio Network has now confirmed the two men arrested by Italy were trying to secretly dump Bonds that were previously held by the nation of Japan. The men arrested have told Italian police they were ordered to move the Bonds by the government of Japan because the Japanese government has lost faith in the ability of the U.S. government to repay its debts.

Despite assurances from Japanese Finance Minister Kaoru Yosano about Japan's "absolutely unshakable” confidence in the credibility of the U.S. dollar, it is now confirmed based upon the serial numbers of the Bonds, that the $134 Billion is part of the $686 billion of U.S. debt officially held by Japan.

Well looks like this story just got huge! Wow! The implications...

www.turnerradionetwork.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

... the Japanese government has lost faith in the ability of the U.S. government to repay its debts.

America has become a nation that preys upon it's weakest and most vulnerable citizens. The people who pull the levers of power cannot be trusted. There is widespread dissent and discontent amonst it's citizens which is being suppressed by the elite controlled government though force and intimidation. There is a high probability that your investments in our nation will vanish in a puff of smoke.

America is a powderkeg waiting for a match.

Thanks for playing.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
And the US keeps for pushing for a global world, new global order, and here it is, the USA who started it all...being backstabbed and dropped like a bag of rocks... cant be a global world if th thers dont trust you

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

For sure! And with all those bonds sitting there waiting to be sold...and now this! I can just hear Geithner now...Damn!

The implications of this situation are monstrous: An ally of the United States has been caught trying to secretly unload U.S. government debt. This is unmistakable proof that the United States government is headed into economic collapse because nations around the world have now officially lost faith in its ability to repay.

The fact that $134 Billion in Bonds was intercepted by Italian Police was confirmed two days ago by Bloomberg Business news (here). Today’s revelation by TRN that the men arrested were employees of the Japan Finance Ministry is a huge development which will cause sudden and dramatic reaction worldwide.
Source

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
ok..they were todl to dump the bonds??? this was so rediculously risky, rather than jsut feeding the bonds through a paper shredder to incinerator? sotry knida dosnt make any common sense to me..for a coutnry in the leaing edge of technoligy, thining and work force, they hired 2 guys to stupidly jsut dump the bonds? even a retard at leat would have the insite to set the damn thigns on fire, with minimal risk!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I thought it was announced that those bonds were fake? What's the deal here, are they real or not? This is one weird story, been following it since it became public and I don't know what to believe anymore. Of course, our whole economy is a Ponzi scheme, and all fiat money is really fake wealth.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
this is really weird! according to reuters the bonds are fake.

"Based on the photograph we've seen online, they are clearly fake. And not even good fakes," said Stephen Meyerhardt, a spokesman for the Treasury's Bureau of the Public Debt.

reuters

So, the treasury is saying that the only images of the bonds they have seen are the ones online?

$134 billion of bonds and they're not sending some feds to italy so they can have a close look at it?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Well someone has commented that TRN is sensational reporting...I do not know?

This story even has a weirder twist...another story is saying that it is the Italian Mafia!
Mafia blamed for $134bn fake Treasury bills

Whether the men are really Japanese, as their passports declare, is unclear but Italian and US secret services working together soon concluded that the bills and accompanying bank documents were most probably counterfeit, the latest handiwork of the Italian Mafia.

Italian officials, while pointing out that hauls of counterfeit money and Treasury bills were not unusual, were stunned by the amount involved. Investigators are looking into the origin and destination of the fakes.

Italian prosecutors revealed last month that they had cracked a $1bn bond scam run by the Sicilian Mafia, with the alleged aid of corrupt officials in Venezuela’s central bank. Twenty people were arrested in four countries.

The fake bonds were to have been used as collateral to open credit lines with banks, Reuters news agency reported. The Venezuelan central bank denied the accusations.

www.ft.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
edit wrong thread

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Same story...now just a new headline...?

Italian Mafia cashes in on fake T-bills
www.ft.com...

And these storys have popped up.

Good morning America! On June 3, either an attempted attack on the economy of the U.S. on an unprecedented scale was narrowly averted--or a criminal conspiracy involving the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve that would legitimize the most radical of globalist conspiracies of all time--was exposed. In either event, a deliberate media blackout was employed in the U.S. When news of the event gained traction in the foreign media, the U.S. media was compelled to report it as well, but only after facts could be changed and damage control employed by the highest levels of the U.S. government, aided and abetted by faceless global powerbrokers.
homelandsecurityus.com...

In other words, somebody wants to destabilize the US bond markets by spreading the word that US bonds can be forged, but that “the quality of the counterfeit work is such that the fake bonds are undistinguishable from the real ones ” (as the original report put it). Raising legitimate concerns about the ability to withstand counterfeiting efforts is a sure-fire way of sabotaging a currency.

It wouldn’t be the first time that such a strategy has been used to destabilize an enemy power. During World War II, Hitler launched Operation Bernhard to crash the British war economy. By the end of the war, it had produced 132 million expertly counterfeited British pounds – a sum that represented about 15% of all British pounds in circulation at the time. The British ran a similar counterfeiting operation against the Nazis.

And...

Now, the plot thickens - like a lumpy and rather unappetising stew - with an FT report on Friday that Italian and US secret services working together concluded the bills and and accompanying documents are “most probably” counterfeited, and most likely the handiwork of the Italian Mafia.

So are we now looking at the prospect of a Japanese-Italian organised crime connection with the audacity to counterfeit - and undoubtedly cash in - enough Treasury billls to buy several developing countries?
ftalphaville.ft.com...

How the Bearer Bonds Saga Could Bring Down the US

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Interesting to note that there were "detailed original documents" with the bonds...

Also inside the agents found extensive and detailed original bank documents about the bonds.

And the most important aspect of this whole incident...

If counterfeit securities of such high quality are in circulation the world’s monetary system, let alone that of the United States, is in danger. International trade and exchanges could come to a halt.

Whether it is counterfeit money or money laundering, what happened is potentially more dangerous for the stability of the international system than the results of Iran’s elections.

If the bonds are real it means someone with a lot of cash no longer trusts the US dollar as a reserve currency. If this is the case then it would spell the end of the Bretton Woods system and most likely negatively impact world trade.

www.asianews.it...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
even if the Japanese would go public with this the US would still say that they are fakes.

They just can't risk more global economic panic and other countries dumping their dollars.

Though I personally doubt that the Japanese govt would have been involved into this amateur scheme.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
ok..they were todl to dump the bonds??? this was so rediculously risky, rather than jsut feeding the bonds through a paper shredder to incinerator? sotry knida dosnt make any common sense to me..for a coutnry in the leaing edge of technoligy, thining and work force, they hired 2 guys to stupidly jsut dump the bonds? even a retard at leat would have the insite to set the damn thigns on fire, with minimal risk!

Uuuuuhhh? My brain hurts trying to even comprehend where you are coming from.

I will try to keep this in laymans terms, and avoid any technical words.

They were trying to SELL the bonds in Switzerland.

Burning them just means you lose $US134 billion. Why the hell would you burn $134 billion?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
I thought it was announced that those bonds were fake? What's the deal here, are they real or not? This is one weird story, been following it since it became public and I don't know what to believe anymore. Of course, our whole economy is a Ponzi scheme, and all fiat money is really fake wealth.

I can think of NO reason for anyone to have fake $500 million bonds. I can think of a million reasons why someone would declare these to be fake.

No sane and informed person would believe for a second that they were fake - it makes no sense at all. It makes a huge amount of sense that they belong to Japan.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

...man... don't comment if you don't understand how it works...
They are trying to sell the bonds, not destroy them...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This does not bode well at all for the U.S. I knew that this is what had happened as soon as the Japanese Finance Minister came out with the statement about his "unshakable" faith in the U.S. Those words were too strong at the time.

Edit to add:

UPDATE June 19, 2009 2115 HRS ET -- The Japanese men taken into custody by Italy have been released and they were allowed to take their "fake" Bonds with them! Authorities now say they do not know where the men went. Those same authorities have told the "Financial Times" of London that the Bonds were "most likely fakes." (Financial Times Story Here)

Oh yeah... right...

[edit on 20/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Law enforcement sources in Rome claim the Italian government is ecstatic over the seizure because under Italian law, they get to keep forty percent (40%) of the smuggled bonds. The governments of both the US and Japan are trying to negotiate with Italy for return of the Bonds but because of the astonishing amount of money involved, Italy is refusing any negotiation at all.

I'm sure Italy was ecstatic.

UPDATE June 19, 2009 2115 HRS ET -- The Japanese men taken into custody by Italy have been released and they were allowed to take their "fake" Bonds with them! Authorities now say they do not know where the men went. Those same authorities have told the "Financial Times" of London that the Bonds were "most likely fakes." (Financial Times Story Here)

I'm also sure that Italy "decided" it was in their best interest to "negotiate".

Also, has anyone noticed that $134.5B is almost exactly 1/5 of the amount ($686B) Japan has invested in U.S. Treasuries? Seems very, very strange that the numbers would be so exact, doesn't it?

[edit on 20/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm sorry. I know that many are eager to accept that the bonds were fakes. But really.

500 Million and 1 Billion dollar US bearer bonds are not something you can simply use in business. They were real, and the story is true. The damn elites are once again trying to secure profit out of the destruction of the common economy.

Only banks, financial institutions and government-sized corporations use these bonds.

Some morons in the US Federal government and Madison Avenue (probably one and the same) came up with this 'fake' story knowing that most detached Americans, struggling to survive and distracted by the political showmanship of the Republican and Democratic Clowns in the Federal Circus tent, wont be inclined to stop and consider the magnitude of this event.

Interesting that the Italian 'authorities' let them 'go' WITH their alleged billions in 'fake' bonds to whereabouts unknown.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I came to the the assumption, by reading the original Italian articles, that the old "Japanese" men where actually well known Filipino con men, and that the bonds were fake.

Anyone know what is true?

Wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese govenment is dumping the dollar. I keep very little in dollars myself.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by tamusan]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join