It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First swine flu death in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

First swine flu death in Australia

news.ninemsn.com.au

Australia has suffered its first swine flu death.

A 26-year-old man from Western Australia was admitted to a hospital in Adelaide suffering symptoms consistent with the virus.

But his condition declined and he was declared dead earlier this evening.

More soon...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Yes breaking news of the first death here in Australia. Will try and find some more information regarding this. It will be interesting to see what kind of reactions take place in the country. It is evident so far that the virus is not that bad, but i am more concerned about down the track when it mutates or is weaponized. This flu seems mad made.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19/6/09 by dallas18]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Are you aware that the the Dept of Health issued the following statement a few days ago ?

Health Minister Nicola Roxon said ... that the strain of new influenza H1N1 is not as severe as previously thought.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Indigenous man dies after contracting swine flu

A man from a remote Aboriginal community in Western Australia has died after testing positive to swine flu.
South Australia's Chief Medical Officer Paddy Phillips says the 26-year old died in the Royal Adelaide Hospital on Friday afternoon.

A representative of the man's remote community says he had tested positive to swine flu but was flown to Adelaide to be treated for pneumonia.

ABC

As sad as it is, this was always going to happen. There was no way that Australia could have it infected numbers rise with out coming across complications.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by LenGXV6]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LenGXV6
Indigenous man dies after contracting swine flu

A man from a remote Aboriginal community in Western Australia has died after testing positive to swine flu.

ABC

Now that's really unusual ... here I am in Adelaide and yet to see a single case of Swine Flu and yet this person in an isolated and remote area contracts it and dies ! And of course there's no mention in the report as to how this may have happened ...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
He died from pneumonia, secondary infection, similar to many cases being seen in the US.

As too how a remote community ends up with it, and why they flew him to Adelaide and not Perth is yet to be stated.

Will be keeping a watch, see what they say.

As to Roxon, she can go stick her head back up what ever oriface she pulled it out of.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I personally see a parallel with people/s who have probably not grown up with adequate health care and nutrition and the deaths that have so far been caused by swine flu such as in Mexico and now an Australian Aboriginal.

IRM

[edit on 19/6/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Be interesting to see which community this man came from.

I know of a few remote communities in WA that have very good health care.

Trying to hunt down some more information, there is just too much lacking in this story.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
some more information

A WEST Australian man suffering from swine flu has died in an Adelaide hospital, in the first death of a person with the virus in Australia.
However South Australian health authorities have not yet confirmed that the man died from swine flu, as he had a number of serious health conditions.

The 26-year-old had been diagnosed with swine flu yesterday, SA Health said.

SA Health said the man had been suffering from a number of serious health conditions and had been transferred from Alice Springs Hospital to the Royal Adelaide Hospital intensive care unit on Monday.

SA Health chief medical officer Paddy Phillips said the man had swine flu but said he was unable to confirm the cause of death at this stage.

"Although the patient was diagnosed as positive for swine flu yesterday, his other medical conditions had dramatically deteriorated by the time he got to Adelaide,'' Professor Phillips said.

The Royal Adelaide Hospital had taken all appropriate infection control procedures to limit the spread of the virus to other people, he said.

"Tragic though this case is, it is important to note that in the great majority of cases, swine flu causes a mild illness which people recover from without any medical intervention,'' he said.

Prof Phillips said the man's death would not yet be added to the list of casualties from swine flu.

SA Health had alerted national health authorities and the matter would be investigated further by SA Health, he said.

Prof Phillips said the Aboriginal man's family had been informed of his death.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The virus with a .04% mortality rate strikes again! .04% of the planet is doomed.

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Just read about the loss of your fellow-countryman- my wishes for your safety and wellness in Aus.

Best,

C

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
The virus with a .04% mortality rate strikes again! .04% of the planet is doomed.

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed

Thanks for the sarcasm, its responses like these that waste time and energy of people who realy would like to know what is going on.

If you do not want to know, do not respond

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
"Australia: A/H1N1 impact will be 'greater in Indigenous regions"

www.flutrackers.com...

"Inuit Hit Hard By Swine Flu":

motherearthjournal.blogspot.com...

"H1N1 More Lethal for Some Ethnic Groups":

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

I'm just making sure there is a little perspective here.

I think most of our ATSers forget how to divide when they see infection/death statistics for the swine flu.

Currently in the US it appears that for every 1000 people who get infected, about one person dies.

www.crikey.com.au...

What's 1/1000?
*gets out his t-1billion calculator and a cup of coffee to crunch these numbers.*

(4 hours later)

Ok, the magic number machine told me 0.001, or .1% (the actual mortality rate has dropped even lower since the publication of this article).

So it's not that bad. Not even news worthy, really. Although I still appreciate the article being posted here. It's just nothing terribly important or interesting, unless you're a biologist.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Im sick of all the fear mongering already. The media do it year after year and the only people who profit from it are drug companies. They make a mint already!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CINY8

I recall reading in "The Great Influenza" by John Barry that 90% of North American Inuit and Indiginous peoples died from the flu in 1918.

One can imagine the dangers in the Australian and New Zealand Indiginous peoples.

How is it different from the Conquistadores giving measles and smallpox and syphilis to the native people of Meso- and South America? If one has had NO contact with microbes outside of their own group, how can they be expected to withstand something with such virulence as flu (any flu?).

We can all hope that our god diets and healthy lifestyles prevent our catching this, but I'm beginning to think it's going to be a matter of luck- and who survives it will be based on genetics, med support- and luck. I don't think we become complacent, no matter the mortality rate.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

So, if the mortality rate (on a planet of just under 7 billions) turns out to be 0.1% and everyone catches this flu, we could be looking at 7 million deaths or so. I don't really see that as trivial.

A 1% mortality rate puts us at around 70M.

That is a very high number of deaths in a very short period of time, and I think that it will have quite an impact on society, economy, etc., not to mention the loss of such a large number of people. Even if half of 0.1% die, it's still 35 million people or so- that's a number that is rather chilling, I think- at least from a humanistic standpoint.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Second man in Australia passess from H1N1- there were no beds for him in ICU department at the hospital he went to initially, nor was he tested for flu.

He deteriorated, was transferred to another hospital's ICU department, and succumbed to the illness on Friday.:

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

A third person has died, as well, while undergoing bone marrow transplantation, she caught the vurus and died shortly thereafter:

www.news.com.au...

Stay well, all

Peace

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
scott novich from houston has reinvented the wheel and manipulated congress at the same time

new topics

top topics

join