It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some people get so mad when you disagree with their point of view?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
How come people just go straight to anger and start calling you names whenever you post anything that disagrees with their point of view?

Wouldnt it be more productive for everyone if they just stated the reasons they disagree with you or give you some proof that supports their side of the story?

Are we supposed to all agree on everything related to 911, UFO's, Aliens, Alien Abduction, Meditation, Indigo Children, NASA Lying, Bush, Cheney, Obama, Politics, Sexual Preference, Rocks that look kinda like stuff on Earth, Global Warming, etc?

How does having a different viewpoint automatically make someone a troll?

Why all the anger? I thought we were all supposed to act like adults.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
classic antisocial behaviour like that is rampant in places like this. Some have the whole thing worked out and there is not any loop holes or fault in their work. obsession over certain things may cause the problems. Others it is a lack of understanding of the way a debate works. Some of them take after new stations that all that is different is wrong.

from an observer's possition of sorts.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That just really pisses me off.

Ya know...I have been SOOO guilty of that. I think sometimes I'm hanging on by such a thin thread as it is, that it is difficult to remain open minded. I know, in my heart, that if I can't be open minded then I might as well pack up my toys and go home, but it's not always easy accepting that what I believe to be true has been wrong all along.

Its a lot easier to get mad at you and call you a dummy butt then it is to accept that my whole life might have been based on a lie, or just my own ignorance. There's an old saying: 'the truth hurts.'

it certainly can, and when we get hurt what do we do? you guessed it, try to hurt back.

$.02

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
You know people generally can get along in a conversation, expressing points of view and discussing them with each other but, someone always take liberties and throws a dig in either racially or religiously and then it just goes down hill. If you and are discussing and your point is true and mine is not then I am going to lose I may flame just cause I am going to lose anyway. Poor sportsmanship if you ask me. I wonder how may people actually competed in competitive sports? Most people I know who have are very reasonable to debate with.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Great points from both of you. Thanks for responding. I dont think it is so important to be COMPLETELY open minded, but it is more important to be able to defend your beliefs. However, I dont see calling someone names defending your beliefs. Defending beliefs comes from making points and giving proof or evidence that you are correct and they are not, but in a civil manner.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
To answer your question:

Ego.

Being 'right' makes them feel superior. You are wrong, they are right. They feel better about themselves. If you show an opposing viewpoint, it challenges the illusion of superiority they so value and they react with anger rather than reason.

Ego.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

New member. Lurked a while. To me, it seems that maybe some folks feel like they are losing control of their lives because of the unhappy events facin' them.

One thing they can control are their posts...and if we let 'em...me or you.

We just don't let 'em; instead, see 'em for the hurt/loss of control they feel inside...I guess you and I would be civil persons for seeing beyond their lashing posts...let them be angry on the outside on boards...instead of angry on the inside w/family, friends, children...depression is anger turned inward.

Maybe the above is a solution to a few thinkin' of murder and suicide???
-

[edit on 18-6-2009 by sillyboystrucksare4girls]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
LOL, having made this post someone just came on another thread and simply posted that I am a troll. They didnt say why I was a troll just that I was an obvious one.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sillyboystrucksare4girls

Good point. That is a good way to look at it. I must be up for some award for keeping down domestic abuse.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

ignore...the control freak....

you are making a difference somehow, someway...:

[edit on 18-6-2009 by sillyboystrucksare4girls]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Its a lot easier to get mad at you and call you a dummy butt then it is to accept that my whole life might have been based on a lie, or just my own ignorance. There's an old saying: 'the truth hurts.'

it certainly can, and when we get hurt what do we do? you guessed it, try to hurt back.

$.02

I agree .

We all have a certain `narrative ` , which we maintain , incorporating new information as we go through life .
For the most part people can handle having components of the narrative questioned .But if its a major `supporting column` someone is attempting to kick out , the response is often aggressive.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
How come people just go straight to anger and start calling you names whenever you post anything that disagrees with their point of view?

Because people who disagree with me are stupid, short, fat, and live miserable lives. They deserve death but some god somewhere has obviously seen fit to punish them with a long life of being wrong.

Jon

EDIT: I didn't!

[edit on 6.18.2009 by Voxel]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

LMAO, that post is hilarious. I am sure you dont really believe that, now do you?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Because people who disagree with me are stupid, short, fat, and live miserable lives. They deserve death but some god somewhere has obviously seen fit to punish them with a long life of being wrong.

That's how I feel!!!!

Go to the 9/11 threads if you want to really see some freaking and geeking. If you even remotely dare to disagree with them, they flip out and start foaming at the mouth.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I heard that. I created a couple of 911 posts and you think I had killed some of their mothers by the way they acted.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't have a problem because I'm always right. if there are those that disagree with me, then that automatically makes them wrong.

You agree with me. . . don't you?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

LOL, of course I agree with you, because you are always right.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I asked one of my ATS friends, who is a Mod, that same question the other day. I took several months off from ATS (needed a break from all the paranoia) and noticed that the personal attacks and weak sourceless arguments were far more prevelant. She told me that it's common in the summertime as all the kiddies are out of school and just trolling for a fight. They added extra Mods and are all on the lookout for such teenage trolls.

For any of the 'brat pack' who might be reading this, remember that age and treachery will always win out over youth and ignorance! As for your debating skills, your Kung-Fu is weak! ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER!!! And if you don't have a source (unbiased prefered) to back up your position, don't bother to start in with me! What we need is an *ignore* button so we aren't led into further debate with some punk kid who has brought a pocket knife to a tank fight!

Edit to add- "Do not mess with the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

[edit on 18-6-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft

LOL, of course I agree with you, because you are always right.

Now the rest just need re-education.
FEMA "college" campus anyone?

Seriously, it's nice to have debate with people who are as passionate with their beliefs as I am.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I agree a good debate can be super fun. I just do not understand why people get so hacked. It is not like our posts are changing the world or something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join