It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the economic collapse a good thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Whats a happening at the moment is causes personal tragedy on many levels, peeps loosing there jobs, homes and in poorer countries starving.
That set aside we live in a very unbalanced world many countries go without, people starved and countries are bullied by others that think they no what better for them and I do not think these things will stop in a hurry.
Now the USA has for a long time been an over consumer and polluter of the planet. (per size of population this is very high)
A very small amount of people using one hell of a lot of energy. Now maybe this collapse will knock them back a bit and maybe that would not be a bad thing. I am not suggesting that USA goes hungry but it could live without a lot of excess.
I mean things cant get a lot worse so after a economic collapse things might actually be better for most of the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Sure if you think that mass starvation,civil unrest and pandemonium are great things,you really must have a twisted view or didn't think this out much,sounds like a disaster to me,but just my opinion

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The problem is, we can not continue this worship of economic growth. it just is not sustainable. It relies on the exploitation of people and of the worlds natural resources. we can't keep making profit of the back of others.

If we want our consumer society to continue, we need to keep buying more crap, crap being made by slave labour in the developing world. You may not agree with global warming, but you cant deny that our life styles are unsustainale.

Something needs to change, so maybe this economic collapse will make us step back and take stock of what is important in our lives. by the way it isnt money

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
An economic collapse will wake up some sheeple to the fact that governments issue UNLIMITED FREE MONEY for governments themselves while sheeple slave their lives for pennies.

The only solution to this engineered collapse is [pls see my sign link].

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Good? Why it is absolutely the best thing ever!

Think of it as chance to clear out the deadwood. To eliminate those will not produce anything of tangible worth. So you once made $14 billion in credit default swaps? Think you can whittle a clothespin out of this stick? No, then what good are you?

When cash is meaningless pieces of paper, it can only serve two purposes: Fire starter and Toilet paper.

It is civilizations best chance to get rid of those that have assumed power and have retarded our growth. If you take the story of the Tower of Babel as possibly true, then think about the fact that so many humans got together on a project that was being executed so efficiently that God had to confound communication between everyone to prevent the goal from being accomplished.

Getting rid of the lazy people that do nothing but use others would only be a boon. Sure, many people will die in the process

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Sure if you think that mass starvation,civil unrest and pandemonium are great things,you really must have a twisted view or didn't think this out much,sounds like a disaster to me,but just my opinion

Hey i am no saying they are good things! What I am saying is that what comes out of it might be better. We all ready have starvation and unrest in the world and this may well get worse. Maybe the end result of this might be a slight redistribution of power and money. That cannot be a bad thing these are well out of balance at the moment. Some countries are full of obese peeps that eat too much and in others they starve. If a country that has too much energy (money) collapses that may move somewhere else. I mean cmon the system that is in place atm does not seem very far to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Depends if you are a long term thinker or not, and we all have our own perspective on what is good for the world.

Theres rights and wrongs in all decisions. It comes down to those in charge for them to pick, but i know what i would do if i was in charge, and i do not like the anglo american empire, so theres a hint.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Perhaps when this economy affects you adversely you could come and give us another perspective.

My business that had been making myself and my GF a very comfortable living, for over 25, years has tanked. I had to lay of 4 employees; ask them if the collapse is a good thing.

With my entrepreneurial skills I can always survive, but others that may not be so fortunate as myself will suffer as will their families.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

It would be fantastic because it would force people to get out of their dwellings, away from all the distractions we surround ourselves with to really implement some change "for" all the people, not just a select privileged few.

that would truly be a sight to behold

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It would be a good thing ... *IF* the federal gov't would keep their damn hands out of it.

These bailouts are doing one thing - allowing the fed to determine winners and losers.

Let the companies that perform poorly, like GM, fail. That is the best way to do it. Let the marketplace decide.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobeckyLet the companies that perform poorly, like GM, fail. That is the best way to do it. Let the marketplace decide.

We have our different perspectives josbecky but on this I agree.

I even take responsibility for my business failing because I didn't see President Bush's "war on the middle class" coming.

Disposable income dried up for the middle class as fuel cost rose and oil companies made record profits. Looks like it is happening all over again.
I'm fortunate that I had the ability to reinvent myself and am actually starting to prosper in this new economy.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

In January, shortly after the innaugeration, I was laid off from a factory that supplies one of only two companies that manufacture locomotives. EMD, the other being GE.

EMD was the first to have a commercially successful diesel-electric locomotive. I have went on to pick a job that pays almost $4/hr less, yet I take home more (all the overtime I want) and I have about $100/wk less expenses involved with the commute, which I have used to make my life more comfortable with a new computer, cable modem and other frivolities.

So you could say that the job loss was a net improvement. Lemons to lemonade kind of a thing. but to top it all of, I enjoy the job I am doing now far better. And I am happier for the change. So far it has been a clearing of the deadwood for me.

Do I fear that the time will come when we as a nation have to stand up to the government and the movers and shakers? Yes, most definitely. That time will come. Hopefully, the final purge will be a net benefit for all.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Start gathering the original seeds of fruit and veggies. We are going to regreen the planet and have abundant food again just like in paradise and be self sufficient and self thinking. The people have had enough of the same repeats in history of darkness proportions. Its time to bring heaven on earth, its time we rebuilt paradise as it is we who we have been waiting for.
It its time we stop feeling powerless and "Just do it." Start planting our permaculture, enough with ugly buildings that concrete us in so we cannot feel any connection to the earth. Enough with destruction of the planet. It's time to rebuild and change our conciousness to that of opposite thinking to what the government tells us we should be.
They tried hard with poisoning our food and water, making us sick and diseased, dumbing us down. But it will not work, it shall not work for the light dwells within each and every one of us. We are awakening and there is nothing they can do about it anymore. They need to open the road for us and let us pave the way. Its time.
Darkness, evil energy that has been created through millenia will no longer be. It has to handle that fact that its reign is over and we have had enough, we have had enough, we have had enough.
We will wake up from this diseases that we created as dark energy and transmute it to the light. The light is awakening all people's of earth. They are learning, they are finding out and your awfulness is being revealed for all to see and it will indeed cause a backfire to the destruction you weave. Wake up dear children of earth for there is nothing to fear. Man is one. Man is no longer slave and servant, they will empower themselves to recreate and return that to which was destroyed and blocked from them, us we are one.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Perhaps when this economy affects you adversely you could come and give us another perspective.

Hey bud im soz its affecting you but I would jut like to say i dont think it wil affect me too much. I have learned to live with very little money and to be grateful for what I have. I guess it depends on what you want in life.
Really i was just wondering if it might be better in the long run and getting peeps opinions.

best wishes kx

[edit on 17-6-2009 by purplemer]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger; those who survive a collapse will(hopefully) have a greater appreciation for what they have, the hard work it takes to survive, and generally develop a more self-sufficient mentality towards life. Sure a collapse sucks, lots of folks will suffer, be hurt and some indeed will perish but surviving something like that makes people stronger on the whole, its just a miserable process to achieve such ends.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
There are two sides to every story.

Personally, I do think that economic collapse is good. Not only does it allow the economy to be "reborn", but it gives a valuable lesson to many rich and wealthy people to be thankful for what they have. But on the other hand, many people loose their jobs- which really stinks. Star and Flag for you my friend

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Ever studied population collapse? Although I don't think going through this would be good I think the end result would be. The path to it would be horrible though.

Perhaps. More than a few know it's coming. Only trouble is, you can't tell them a truth. People love lies entirely too much. Entirely too much.

American Stonehenge: Monumental Instructions for the Post-Apocalypse

"protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts. let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court. avoid petty laws and useless officials. balance personal rights with social duties. prize truth—beauty—love—seeking harmony with the infinite. be not a cancer on the earth—leave room for nature—leave room for nature."

"maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature"

Let her fall, let her fall, let her fall....

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Apollumi]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Hey i am no saying they are good things! What I am saying is that what comes out of it might be better. We all ready have starvation and unrest in the world and this may well get worse. Maybe the end result of this might be a slight redistribution of power and money. That cannot be a bad thing these are well out of balance at the moment. Some countries are full of obese peeps that eat too much and in others they starve. If a country that has too much energy (money) collapses that may move somewhere else. I mean cmon the system that is in place atm does not seem very far to me.

In other words you would spread the wealth?

Where have I heard that before?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

In other words you would spread the wealth?

Where have I heard that before?

I am very aware of the nature of peeps and greed. I just kinda thought it cant get much more out of balance, so it cant really get any worse than it is.

kx

[edit on 18-6-2009 by purplemer]

new topics

top topics

join