It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in paradise as Guantanamo Four take a dip, eat ice cream, and plan first Uighur restaurant in B

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

I don't understand why you are so confused? We will never know if these men are truly innocent because they never went to trial. Let the court decide their innocence because we are in no place to make that distinction because we aren't privy to the evidence.

I still find it odd what the scenario was as to why and how they ended up in custody of the armed forces? What were they doing in Afghanistan during combat operations? I'm pretty sure they weren't aid workers because if they were they would have at least some kind of identification or witnesses to verify their intentions for being there. I know they weren't tourists because what person in their right mind would be in a country on vacation during a battle.

Oh yeah, they didn't go to trial so we will never know that as well. If the men are innocent great and I'm sorry for your false imprisonment but again we will never truly know now. By all accounts they could have guilt on their hands. Just look at this evidence again posted by WhatTheory, and you see that it is very telling about this situation.

www.weeklystandard.com...

All seventeen Uighurs were members or associates of the Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM), otherwise known as the Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP). The ETIM/TIP is a U.S. and UN designated terrorist organization that is affiliated with al Qaeda.

Not only are all seventeen of the Uighurs allied with this group, but most of them were also trained in the ETIM/TIP's pre-September 11 training camp in Tora Bora, Afghanistan--a longtime stronghold for the Taliban and al Qaeda. There, their training was supervised by a noteworthy terrorist named Abdul Haq. Earlier this year, the Obama administration's Treasury Department designated Haq as an al Qaeda terrorist. The Treasury Department also noted that Haq is a member of al Qaeda's elite Shura (consultation) council, which is reserved for only those al Qaeda terrorists who are in its innermost circles. We know that the seventeen Uighurs were trained by Haq because at least eight of them have conceded as much during their hearings at Gitmo.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Do you have evidence of any crimes they committed or do you want to jail them because of the people they may know? This is very simple, they have not committed a crime, therefore there's no reason they should be in jail. I don't know why this is so hard for all of you.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Do you have evidence of any crimes they committed or do you want to jail them because of the people they may know? This is very simple, they have not committed a crime, therefore there's no reason they should be in jail. I don't know why this is so hard for all of you.

I don't want anyone imprisoned for the company they keep. However, why were these men consorting with known terrorists according the Department of Defense and why were they on the battlefield and take into custody by the military?

All I'm saying is give those men a trial and others before they are released and if it is proven in a fair court of law as to their innocence then we offer our apologies and support. I'm just a little hazy as to the situation surrounding their arrest and detention that's all.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic

I don't want anyone imprisoned for the company they keep. However, why were these men consorting with known terrorists according the Department of Defense and why were they on the battlefield and take into custody by the military?

All I'm saying is give those men a trial and others before they are released and if it is proven in a fair court of law as to their innocence then we offer our apologies and support. I'm just a little hazy as to the situation surrounding their arrest and detention that's all.

We actually agree on this, I think trials are in order for these men. However, the State Department found them innocent and without any evidence against them and considering the bugaboo surrounding trials for Gitmo prisoners and all the complication factors and implications, I think the right thing was done here in letting these four men go. I do agree with you though.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Bermuda was not paid 200 million dollars to take in these guys, at least that is what any article I have read says. Of course, Bermuda enjoys American dollars from tourists and other Americans who live there and deposit funds there and, perhaps that continuing this relationship with the U.S. is enough for them to be persuaded to take in these men. However, another island, Papua or some such spelling did receive 200 million dollars for taking in a handful of released Gitmo detainees. At least this is what other news stories report.

Without a trial, and with our governement insisting these men were determined to NOT have been worthy of being detained, then I am to assume their innocence. Of course, that's just my opinion. We all have them.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Do any of you know anything about this case other than the two clips linked in the OP?

These men were found innocent in 2005 of any crimes or of being a danger to US interests. They couldn't be released because, like any extradition, you can not send them back to a country where there is probability that they may suffer torture or imprisonment for just being there.

They were at a Taliban training camp when the US still supported the Taliban. You remember before 9/11, you considered them friendly. If knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, I bet it is hard to wipe the smile of your faces.

200 million?

That is 50 million each.

How many frivolous law suits like the hot coffee in the lap are awarded 10's of millions of dollars every year?

And you think detaining people for seven years who where innocent doesn't deserve 50 million.

This place never ceases to amaze me. Read folks. And then read some more. Maybe your agenda's won't be showing so bad. Maybe you'll find both sides of an argument and make an informed opinion. I believe someone said that Liberalism was all about emotion and not reason. What the hell would you call your responses to this thread? You already made your mind up with out knowing anything about the case.Honestly, a little knowledge IS a dangerous thing.

Edited to add: They were arrested in Pakistan, not on a battlefield or in combat also.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Isthisthingon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join