It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowds join Ahmadinejad victory rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Crowds join Ahmadinejad victory rally

news.bbc.co.uk

Tens of thousands of people have joined a rally in central Tehran to celebrate the re-election of Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Crowds thronged the main thoroughfare, Vali Asr street, waving Iranian flags and chanting in jubilation.

The president's closest opponent in the election, Mir Hossein Mousavi, has lodged an official appeal against the result amid continuing angry protests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
From the "I don't know what the heck to think" department...

This isn't what I'm seeing on youtube, and twitter, and ATS for goodness sake...

What IS going on here?

Anyone else got a take on this?

"Some people want democracy only for their own sake," he said, referring to his critics both inside and outside of Iran.

"Some want elections, freedom, a sound election. They recognise it only as long as the result favours them."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I think the student vote wasnt enough to topple the old puppet leader,but there being egged on to create a revolution

Ahmadinejad(thanks for typing that!I hate spelling his name)is claimed to have won with 62ish percent of the vote

I do know that the BBC were reporting that the election voting slips were a flawed design that could leave some confusion as to who was voted when adding in the number of the candidate.

I guess a hard way to see how the vote is spread across the population is to add up the amount of Students across the country,their voting age and the area they study in to see if its an old traditional background or a more modern western looking area

Hopefully both sides wont start a civil war by fighting each other

Also the BBC have made no mention of any political leader being arrested,and that goes at odds with what has been reported here from other online sources

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

These arent regular joe blogs.
they are

army
baseej
government workers

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Did you watch the video or even read the article. Just maybe..just maybe...they are the true voters...and the west is being fed propaganda. The 2000 students in the streets seems a low number but about right with the videos ive seen of the riots. Ive seen riots in London bigger than those.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
my partner worked for the government in Iran, from what i hear from her and her family, these rallies are nothing but office workers army and secret service dressed up and told to go in the streets and say this, say that.

who on earth would support ahmadinejad?
he took away the freedoms the last president gave them
his country is in economic turmoil
oil limits
he's putting his country on a crash course with the west

these riots are the REAL people.

these people standing with Ahmadinejad are traitors..

of course youve seen bigger riots in london.
In london, you dont dissapear
or get broken bones
or take away and killed.

these people in Tehran, Shiraz doo.
But they are still brave enough to front up.

Barkhizid, sarzaminetan ra pas begirid, ya moavagh mishavid ya jan mibazid dar rahe azadi vatan.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

There are plenty of people with broken bones in riots in the UK. And plenty of people "accidently" killed as well. Maybe they dont disappear though.

I cant answer your last sentence obviously!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I respectively do not accept your presumption that bad things do not happen to anyone against the government in london.

We see why the anglo america western world wants democracies, as they want to control who gets in every country, and if the result does not go there way they call foul. When all democracies are con jobs.

Everyone always gets what no one wants.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I take it you dont believe the riots in London can be as bad??

The G20 riots in April show different.

www.youtube.com...

Women were battered..a man was killed.

I am saying the riots in Iran are comparable.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Did someone say "victory"?

Quick, someone tell Obama.
Maybe now he'll have something to say about this.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
We in America are getting mostly the news about the pro-Mousavi protests. Our media gives us the impression that hardly anyone is for Ahmadinejad. This suits our western ideas of democracy and this is what we like to hear.

I have been following Twitter and only the supporters of the protesters--which some of us would like to say is the beginning of a revolution--are chiming in. I put in a tweet that maybe the U.S. should not meddle so much in Iranaian politics (and we are meddling) as it might backfire on the demonstrators and get them harsher treatment. This was not a majority opinion so it was mostly ignored.

If Mousavi is really a viable alternative to Ahmadinejad and not just another less-ultra-conservative then I'm all for a revolution. I believe in democracy too.

But despite my bias it's clear that our press and even our social media are spinning a great deal. Nobody here really knows Mousavi and it's also entirely possible that roughly half the population is in fact for Ahmadinejad. This may not be the beginning of a revolution at all. I will keep watching, reading and listening and maybe a more accurate picture will emerge. We're not likely to get it from the mainstream media.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that this election was executed fairly, or at least as fairly as any American election

honestly, its not just radicals supporting Mohmmad Amadinjad. A large majority of the nation has seen him in a positive light for many years. He may be something of an anti-American, but that can be said for many these days.

This man made his way up into his position through legitimate means, climbing the bureaucratic ladder. so, obviously, their government and many of their people support the current trends.

besides, president doesn't mean to much in a nation where the Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei. This is where the true power lies, and no amount of elections can throw the balance. It will take revolt and reform to change the mindset of the Iranians. Besides, there are other unstable nations who have the capabilities to produce nuclear weapons, such an N. Korea, that we need to be worrying about. As far as our intelligence goes, Iran wont have the technology to produce a nuclear weapon until 2014, unless he finds some help.

There simply isnt enough students to change that nation, by force or otherwise.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
We in America are getting mostly the news about the pro-Mousavi protests. Our media gives us the impression that hardly anyone is for Ahmadinejad. This suits our western ideas of democracy and this is what we like to hear.

Really? From my readings here at ATS I would expect that our media would want us to think that everybody in Iran supported Ahmadinejad. I guess we are not the war hungry country everybody makes us out to be.

top topics

join