It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New, superheavy element to enter periodic table

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

New, superheavy element to enter periodic table

news.yahoo.com

A new, superheavy chemical element numbered 112 will soon be officially included in the periodic table, German researchers said.

A team in the southwest German city of Darmstadt first produced 112 in 1996 by firing charged zinc atoms through a 120-meter-long particle accelerator to hit a lead target.

"The new element is approximately 277 times heavier than hydrogen, making it the heaviest element in the periodic table."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I never thought in my lifetime I would live to see another element added to the periodic table of elements! It's absolute amazing! Just astounding the things that are happening in this day and age. It seems like every day, every hour there is new breath taking news coming from the scientific world.

The zinc and lead nuclei were fused to form the nucleus of the new element, also known as Ununbium, Latin for 112.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
cool. it's like the "deathgrind/black metal" of the elements! looking at wikipedia I see there are other "unu" named elements way up there too and it says they dont have proper names yet. maybe they need to call this element adamantium!! anyway I wonder what if any practical uses it'll have.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
There's a thread on this already it started yesterday
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
They should call it Naqadah!

Start makin gates and stuff

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I believe this element as well as its friends up the line such as unilium, unibium, unintritium...uninhexium etc have been around for quite a while, they just had never been successfully created.

Very cool that these elements aren't going to just be theoretical for long.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

hahaha, if only.

Too bad the element is only in existence for mere seconds before it disappears.

new topics

top topics

join