It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Project - Build your own Satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I've been tinkering with the idea to build my own satellite receiver as well as an actual private satellite (small one). Then I thought, it would be fun if more people did the same thing so we could share our data (photos/videos/stories). Could be used to get more data on UFO's and secret satellites as well as moon stuff.

Here is a collection of links to get you started if you're interested:

Building a Weather Satellite Station (Receiver)
This allows you to hook into the NOA weather satellite but could be modified for use on others....
(they have 5 different setups using various satellites)

How to build your own Sputnik

and as always, Google is a great way to find more info

Need some inspiration?

Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

if a couple of teen's can do it....anyone can!

[edit on 10-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Reciever is great. But satelite?
What you would do with satellite that you could not launch? Or you suggest to build R-7 rocket too.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

You dont need to "launch" it per say.

You could always use a balloon to lift it into the stratosphere. People do that all the time.

Teens capture images of space with £56 camera and balloon

The trick is that once it's in the stratosphere, you would need to remotely disconnect the balloon and fire some sort of propulsion to further boost out of the stratosphere and into space. Maybe small thrusters that give tiny bursts from any angle on the craft?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I admire your creative process but regarding the Satelite it is very expensive to build what you are suggesting, the propulsion system alone and the relevant tech to operate it pluse cameras etc would run into hundreds of thousands, hense why most companies piggyback onto other countries launches to deliver their payloads. The ballon and cheap camera was stunning however to breech the stratosphere you are talking mucho bucks my friend. Maybe Robbie Williams is still kicking around ats and would offer to fund an ats satelite

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Actually, either NASA or the US Air Force will launch your amateur (non-commercial) micro-satellite for you for next-to-free as a piggyback ride.

This technique was pioneered by the Amsat community.

Small satellites can ride piggyback because most rockets provide excess thrust for the mass of a typical satellite and for its desired orbit. So dead weight ballast is added. The OSCAR I group convinced the Air Force in 1961 to carry OSCAR I instead of this ballast for one of its Discovery satellite launches. A release mechanism freed the craft once the final stage reaches the proper orbit.

The hitch is, as they put it in the ballast, your micro-satellite is considered expendable junk if something needs to be jettisoned prematurely.

Today, it is such a common practice that there is even a website that helps you hook up with a launch to piggyback on according to date of launch, altitude and orbital state vectors.

I will post the link when I get home to my daughter's laptop that has the info (after reading about a 5th grade class in Australia that did this a few years back, she decided to do the same for her Science Project next year...so she has all the notes on how to do this).

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
www.space.com...

www.stmary.ws...

A couple of good links. I couldn't find an article that I remember reading. I thought some private company was launching stuff pretty cheaply.

Edit: Frater beat me too it! Look forward to the links.

I love the Southpark episode where they take the Killer Whale to Mexico and launch it to the moon! I think they got it done pretty cheap!

[edit on 10-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hem........ Would the US government (which controls space, rather they admit it or not) allow a self built satellite that they don't control into a LEO to take unedited pictures? I highly doubt it, but hell it is worth a try if anyone feels like devoting large amounts of their time for free.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's a video on a lab that builds miniature satellites

link.brightcove.com...

interesting

top topics

join