It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Purpose Is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have been thinking about a topic that crosses everyone's mind sooner or later. That topic is why are we here, what is the purpose, and what goal are we hurdling toward or away from?

I would really like to know what some of you think the reason people are alive and what the mass combined purpose is. What are we destined, or designed, for?

Personally, for me it is obvious that we are here to bring living consciousness into outerspace and beyond. I posted in another thread earlier that I believe we are a product of the Earth and it's desire to evolve and progress.

We are produced by the Earth to be able to one day leave it and populate other areas of the Universe. We are like a master plan, or an extension, of the Earth and it's desire to expand itself into the Universe.

I wonder this because so many people are involved with politics, religion, local government, family issues, and so on, I wonder if they believe the purpose is a more secular goal. If what we are working toward can be found already here?

What do you think the overall goal of our existence is?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
To help others.
To know the bad side.(and thus avoid it)
And to make the world a better place in doing so.

In other words, learn how to be human.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
honest answer

NO freaking IDEA

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
To mate, breed, reproduce.

Eat, Defecate, Survive.

Some may argue, it's that we should spread gospels, or bomb buildings for deities.

But simply, we're animals, we differ in them very little.

You know it, but the self ego in your brain, requires you to ignore this and say you are of a high power and almighty.

Our purpose is purposeless, we will all die, and 99% of us will have no purpose other then to prove a philisophical point (religion, truth, math, science) and the 1% will actually accomplish a purpose which furthers our survival and increases our chances of not becoming extinct.

Be happy you are alive right now, and know that you are alive! It is a great fortune you have stumbled upon out of nothing! You only get it once, so why not become that 1% and try helping the race!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well written, well phrased and as much as I would like to not think deep thoughts at this hour, here goes...

Life begets life and entropy tries to drag it down. Nature is red in tooth and claw. Murphy’s law etc...

Have you done any research on the following theoretical words? Eshaton? Singularity? etc...

Make yourself a quantum cocktail of spiritualism based in quantum theory and general relativity with a sprinkle of strings and branes and one could go mad…

I think that we are here to observe, I think we ARE God. I have no allusions of a bearded man upstairs wondering if I lied, stole or masturbated. I think morals are a social imperative and driven by the society that surrounds them; different morals for a Bedouin in the desert than a Maori in the jungle or am American at the mall.

We are here to learn, observe the quantum flux, influence the leaping elections and ultimately, if we are lucky merge at the big crunch and determine the set of rules for the next big bang...

Fire away, I'm ready, but remember, you asked.

By the way, if you care to, check out "The physics of Immortality"by Frank Tipler

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i think life strives to survive.
life isnt static, its dynamic and uses a simple system to build upon itself, simple proteins creating longer chains. life is basically like a feedback system and given enough time, feedback systems that can, will change / adapt themselves. and while humans may look like a complex system, really its not.
i believe this is why we are here and what our purpose is... to strive to survive and continue to live.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Bill Hicks said it best, the title doesn't do the clip justice:

Nice thread... your title says "Your Purpose Is?" but your final question is general. I think the answer needs to be in two parts. If people don't know their own personal mission how can they comment on humanities wider agenda?

What do you think the overall goal of our existence is?

I've think you've stated it pretty effectively yourself:

Personally, for me it is obvious that we are here to bring living consciousness into outerspace and beyond. [ ] I believe we are a product of the Earth and it's desire to evolve and progress. We are produced by the Earth to be able to one day leave it and populate other areas of the Universe. We are like a master plan, or an extension, of the Earth and it's desire to expand itself into the Universe.

The only thing I would add is that we are supposed to expand into inner space as well, and that there's no point jouneying into space unless the goals of equal basics for all are met. That, I would say, should be humanity's immediate goal: harnessing some of the best minds and inventors (and suppressed technology) to provide cheap medicine, cheap shelter and safety for all. There's no use buggering about in space if we are all still at the stage of kidding ourselves that it's acceptable to have billions of people sick and starving. If we remain at the level of selfish, autistic childishness things will never, ever progress. NOTE: You never stated or hinted at this, I'm just making my own point.

Carlos Castaneda commented on the issue at a more abstract level in the Fire from Within:

[Don Juan] explained that one of the most dramatic legacies the old seers had left us was their discovery that the reason for the existence of all sentient beings is to enhance awareness. Don Juan called it a colossal discovery.
In a half-serious tone he asked me if I knew of a better answer to the
question that has always haunted man: the reason for our existence. I
immediately took a defensive position and began to argue about the
meaninglessness of the question because it cannot be logically answered. I told him that in order to discuss that subject we would have to talk about religious beliefs and turn it all into a matter of faith.

I think that's a good point. I believe we have to turn this discussion onto practicalities and not just let it be an ideological debate. Castaneda also says:

"The old seers were not just talking about faith," he said. [ ]
What I was trying to point out to you with that question, which has rattled you so badly, is that our rationality alone cannot come up with an answer about the reason for our existence. Every time it tries, the answer turns into a matter of beliefs. The old seers [found an]answer which doesn't involve faith alone."

I wonder this because so many people are involved with politics, religion, local government, family issues, and so on, I wonder if they believe the purpose is a more secular goal.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but I think that the secular/spiritual division is a false split. Providing equal basics for all, understanding the mysteries of the atom, making powerful medicine, attaining peace on all levels. Do you consider these secular or spiritual goals?

If what we are working toward can be found already here?

I'm not sure what this means. PLease clarify.

Questions for anyone:

After you have definined you goal, what are the practical steps towards acheiving it on a mass, community and personal scale?

What do you think are the most urgent issues that need to be addressed in humanity's search for meaning and equlibrium?

On a really simple level, the answers to most of humanity's needs are here, all we have to do is spread the info and the energy.

Appendix: My Own Personal Purpose
1. Trolling 2. Eat the best food ever. 3. Laugh/meditate 4. Find out as much info as possible about everything. 5. Make good medicine/music, spread it for free 6. Collect herbal teas 7. Promote Happy Hardcore. 8. Bring down the arrogant 9. Resurrect Stanley Kubrick, Bill Hicks and possibly Jesus. 10. Go forth and multiply but stop short at multiplying, just go forth. 11. Make enough money so I can make free documentaries + books to play a part in the great awakening 13. Understand I Ching 14. Write books 15. Relax 16. Recapitulate Florinder Grau style.

[edit on 16f20093amWed, 10 Jun 2009 00:57:30 -050030 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
To experience duality and thus know what it is.....We are an extension of the Infinite conciousness and it experiences itself as CREATOR through us as living souls....We are given the opportunity to re-unite with it and become one again but this takes ages and ages and ages......About the time our so called universe has been around....which is false....

Time never ends nor has it ever began....It just is and always will be forever and ever...That is the only law there is

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

I don't mean to put what people do into a category. I meant that so many people choose so many different things to do with their lives. Some choose the paths they go down and other are dealt to circumstance. I wonder if they choose the life they live because they believe this is what the ultimate goal is, or if they do this to survive and have an idea about the real goal of existence they don't pursue in career form?

I would consider what you have listed as being very one worldly. We can't be sure that atoms actually occur in the same way that they do on this planet.

If what we are working for can be found on Earth already? Like the goal is to better things on this planet, without expanding into the universe. Like we are here to ultimately upgrade things for an easier life for future generations.

We all do things that we think are right or wrong. We choose certain words to use and clothes to wear, as well as who to associate with.

If we have evolved naturally on Earth has she birthed us for a reason? Maybe to expand out into the Universe. Maybe the planet's desire is to evolve a consciousness that can simply observe and understand what it is.

Maybe that's what we are here for, to observe and understand or maybe we are an extension that is inevitably bound for the stars.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
well its not to philosophical. and you don't have to believe me either,
but after 50 yrs on this earth. i just found the answer to that question
bout an hour ago. i do not believe in coincidence so the timing of
your post i leave for you to ponder. i must say this though. i now
knowfor a fact what our purpose in life is
to please God

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
My Father said our purpose is simple - to procreate. He pointed out the natural world as a living example.

My Mother said to do God's Will.

I say, to leave the world a better place than when I arrived. Unfortunately, as a realist I can now see that won't be the case.

On the grander scale, the essoteric, metaphysical tells me, purpose does not exist. All just IS.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Some choose the paths they go down and other are dealt to circumstance.

Agreed...

I wonder if they choose the life they live because they believe this is what the ultimate goal is, or if they do this to survive and have an idea about the real goal of existence they don't pursue in career form?

I think there's all sorts of different types of people and there's no hard and fast answer. I agree that so many people are focussed on survival that they have no time to ponder the greater mysteries. In a poorer society, say, some might be embittered resentful alcoholics- others might be at peace with their fate and regard their family and the area around them as fulfilling. Some people might work to live and meditate/help humanity on the side. The luckiest/strongest of all are the people who have jobs that help humanity and the great awakening/expansion.

I would consider what you have listed as being very one worldly. We can't be sure that atoms actually occur in the same way that they do on this planet.

What do you mean one worldy? Earth based? Yes it is, and it's immediate and practical because I think that's necesary in this day and age. The issue you have brought up is multi-levelled, and people often drag the argument to poetic abstraction in order to avoid the ugly home-truths of our planet. I like looking at every level of the problem though and have soaked up everything posted so far. Branes and strings and vortexes of light are also part of the equation. The goal is for each individual to find his or her job in the scheme of things, and that isn't easy.

You've mentioned atoms, that was one of 4 things I posted. O.K, the laws of physics might be different elsewhere. What about the other three things I mentioned? Can you just dismiss them as being one-worldy? What does that mean?

Like the goal is to better things on this planet, without expanding into the universe. Like we are here to ultimately upgrade things for an easier life for future generations.

I would agree serving the species is far more important, but going to space would be fun.

If we have evolved naturally on Earth has she birthed us for a reason?

I think the ultimate reason for life is for the universe to experience and explore itself to enhance awareness, simply for the joy of it.

Maybe to expand out into the Universe. Maybe the planet's desire is to evolve a consciousness that can simply observe and understand what it is.
Maybe that's what we are here for, to observe and understand or maybe we are an extension that is inevitably bound for the stars.

I agree, but after the end goal is defined there comes the question; It's early June 2009, how do we get there? For me anyway, that's important. You're not obliged to come up with an answer, but a larger goal is made up of millions of smaller goals.

I only started feeling my own purpose when I dedicated myself more to service to others.

[edit on 16f20093amWed, 10 Jun 2009 07:28:56 -050056 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I say, to leave the world a better place than when I arrived.

I think that's the best, shortest way the issue has been summed up so far.

Unfortunately, as a realist I can now see that won't be the case.

With respect, I don't think that's realism, I think it's defeatism and cynicism.

Even if there was going to be massive global war next Thursday and it was unavoidable, set in stone, you could still pump a few more kilos of joy into the universe if you fed a few homeless, helped a few sick people and spread some good info. Thus, you would have left the world a better place than when you started, goal achieved.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
understanding the mysteries of the atom, making powerful medicine, attaining peace on all levels.

There is no way to be sure, without exploring and understanding different species in the Universe, if making powerful medicine is a need anywhere else in the cosmos or attaining peace is needed because they may have never been at war.

These things could easily be universal problems ocurring in all aspects of life in the Universe, but they could also only be answers and problems created by us.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens

I say, to leave the world a better place than when I arrived.

I think that's the best, shortest way the issue has been summed up so far.

Unfortunately, as a realist I can now see that won't be the case.

With respect, I don't think that's realism, I think it's defeatism and cynicism.

Even if there was going to be massive global war next Thursday and it was unavoidable, set in stone, you could still pump a few more kilos of joy into the universe if you fed a few homeless, helped a few sick people and spread some good info. Thus, you would have left the world a better place than when you started, goal achieved.

I have fed homeless, in fact, wrote a book and pioneered a community gardening program with 33 separate projects. I've given joy and made people to laugh and more, much more.

But, you DO sense my feelings well and you are right; it may be defeatism ... particularly now when the entire world has crashed around my spouse and I. We are both at our lowest ebbs in our entire lives and hopelessness surrounds us. All things are temporary, and this too shall pass ... I try to remind myself of this daily lately. It's not working though as you can see.

So yes, I stand corrected ... you are right. I am just having a hard time convincing myself.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

I don't know your situation in particular. I know many people are going through great trials right now. I truly hope you find the relief from whatever is bothering you.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
i now
knowfor a fact what our purpose in life is
to please God

This is one of these strange sentences that make you forget all logic and cleverness and simply pushes you deep down into your self.

This sentence rings a bell, somewhere in the darker parts of the brain. What a bell is it? It reminds me of the wonderful sentence: You must pray to soothe god. And it reminds me of a child who sees the whole world with totally different eyes than we grown ups do. With eyes, that are capable to admire even a blade of grass.

Apart from all important earthly or universal goals, like feeding the hungry and bringing peace to Zeta Reculi, to please god might be the most important thing on earth.

How can one please god, the almighty, the one, who has everything and more than everything?
Abandon falsehood and live totally in the bliss of existence. Because that means to except god.
And maybe it means that you must except god's decision to make the world suffer. I don't mean to be cynical. But if freedom had any value, it must include the freedom to suffer.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think it's simple. Your purpose is whatever you want it to be and the world is whatever you make of it.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I'd be willing to bet that every cell in your body is asking the same question. If you quiet yourself enough....have a chat.....muscle memory.

"The life is worth more than the meat"...Jesus.

Son of man literally means "Human". Huey means Son....man means Man. Human....That is your purpose. The only begotten image is you....you'll never exist again.

Gospel means "Good News". There is nothing good about someone being killed for anyone else...,but that was never the message anyway. It was this...THE KINGDOM (you're the king of your dome) IS AT HAND....Enjoy.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Trexter Ziam, well you've probably done more than me so far, I've never organised a community project. Life can be awful, and I hope you get through these difficult times.

Are we here to serve God and make him happy? Possibly, but there is confusion over whether the poor guy actually exists or not, and exactly what he wants if he does. The Bible was the last official communiqué; that was dull in places, and outright weird in others (Leviticus). Sometimes God was really awesome, other times he went completely bat**** over nothing. In the absence of definitive proof of God’s realness, it might be better to serve the rest of the human species (Service to Others path) as a convenient, concrete stopgap we can all agree on. If God really is everywhere, as Christians and other religions say, and if God exists in all our hearts, as they claim, then by serving your fellow humans you are therefore serving God by proxy. If there is no supreme being (God forbid!), then the Service to Others path would still hold up as a logical and possibly fulfilling approach to existence.

[edit on 16f20093amWed, 10 Jun 2009 07:45:42 -050042 by HiAliens]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join