It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All newcomers to ATS - please, read this if you're a new member!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
thanks for signing up for membership on ATS - i feel the more members we have, the better, without a doubt!

however, in the last week or two, i've been noticing scores of new threads on this site that should never be there at all in the first place, because someone didn't use the Search function at the top of the page to see if it's already been posted before...

i guess tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back, because one of my threads that i wrote on Friday has been "underminded" by a newer thread - for example:

my existing thread:
French Operation for Worldwide E.T. & U.F.O. Disclosure?? June 2 - July 14, 2009

new thread about the same thing:
France Poised to Disclose ET Presence on Earth

now, normally, a Mod would step in and close the newer thread, and post a link so as to revert members to the older, existing thread, but in my case here, that hasn't happened yet, because i noticed only one Mod's online, and they can only do so much!

i have to say, that i am a little jealous that this newer thread has gotten more replies and more Flags than my own from last Friday!

i know Flags aren't everything, and congrats to the young member for getting them and all, but one finds it nice to obtain them, as you'll soon find out as time goes by...

even with my example aside, there're still lots of threads lately that Mods have to close and revert to existing threads, and with this thread i was just hoping to point this out! sometimes, though, exceptions can be made, just like in this case...

there's already an existing thread about the Search function on ATS:

ABOUT ATS: Using the Boolean Search

i made a new thread because not many people are gonna read that old thread, which no one's ever replied to anyhow...

however, i will ROFL if this thread gets closed and reverted to that thread!!
...which i don't think it will, but all it takes to decide sometimes is a little common sense.
so please, oh please,

USE SEARCH BEFORE POSTING THREADS! :UP:

thank you for your time, and enjoy the rest of your stay here at ATS!

[edit on 9-6-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

How true, a lot of newer members (sometimes older ones) forget to use the function or don't even think about it. It is bound to happen though, but it is good to post a reminder for the newer members to see. Although the search function is picky and sometimes you do not get the results you should unless you use certain words.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think that is aimed at me.sorry mate,I did'nt use the search function.I had a look over the ufo aliens thread and couldnt see anything about it and so posted the link.I don't mind if a MOD steps in and closes or relinks the thread.peace out!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hi Adreno!

I have a thread here, you may have wanted to search first:

Can all new members please read here about starting new thread searches.

heheheh

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

HAHAHA! i knew it - i performed "Search ATS" and "Search Thread Titles" for the word "search", and the only thing i saw worthwhile was Simon's thread on how the Search works!

can you give me a link to that thread please? i'll gladly post on that one, and Mods, feel free to close this one then!

and defcon2, it wasn't aimed at only you, i promise... i can't tell you how many threads i've seen in the last weeks made by newbies, that there's already a thread going on about the topic...

i just feel sorry for the mods - they're gonna have to step up there game! i kinda wanted to help them out by posting this thread!

EDIT:
i just Searched Thread Titles for "searches" and "thread searches", and didn't find your thread at all!! ...a bunch of unrelated threads came up, though!

[edit on 10-6-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The search function fails me miserably a great deal of the time even searching keywords I know for a fact should be on pages in certain combinations. Finding the posts or whatever by brute force actually does turn up the information but it can be alot of work.

Sometimes seaching with site:abovetopsecret.com straight on Google works better.

I can understand how many would fail to find an existing thread. Perhaps the mods actually get a more functional version of Search?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I was being cheeky and silly!
Am willing to accept my punishemnt with a mod sending me to the naughty spot.
But seriously it is a good point, happens all the time, I still have older members do it to me

They have their plates full keeping it clean methinks. And I do agree with the post above, I cant even find my own threads in search at times! let alone someone else

Cheers Zazz

[edit on 10-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

He there adrenochrome,

Ever since i joined ATS i have run into your replies on numerous threads and i must say it has always been fun reading them!!!

I have stopped trying to get full flag bars, gold member status and what else they came up with the last few months. And they will have a new member valuation system next month but if it is flags your after....

here's a flag and a star.....

Peace

Now that i look at it......here's a flag and no star....

Stars are obviously not an option in the introductions forum....

[edit on 10/6/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I see what your saying

Today I was reading a thread 3 pages in a person came in and said Hey I got a thread over here about that, with a link and clearly it was made earlier.

Now 16 pages later its still not closed down. there is over 80+ flags Bunch of stars, I feel bad for the original poster of the original thread.

Original thread

Newer thread

granted its not the same title but really the original thread was mentioned on page 3

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I think a lot of these problems could be solved by using the MERGE thread function, which is often used on a lot of forums. If both members accpeted than the threads could be merged. That would bring it's own issues, but, it's an idea. I agree, the search function could be improved. Would it be possible to embed Google? EDIT: Just read the Boolean search thread, great! Maybe Google ain't necessary.

Today I was reading a thread 3 pages in a person came in and said Hey I got a thread over here about that, with a link and clearly it was made earlier. [ ] Now 16 pages later its still not closed down. there is over 80+ flags Bunch of stars, I feel bad for the original poster of the original thread.

From a mods point of view, they will feel awful coming and closing threads down which are in full flow. From an OP point of view, well, there are lots of issues, and I can put myself in both 1st and 2nd OP's shoes. Because there are so many factors at stake, I'm guessing ATS have decided to take a hands off approach and let the ecological gnosis environment take care of itself. I like the sink or swim nature of this place.

PROTIP: Inserting OMG or ZOMG into your thread title guaruntees more attention and gives you a 20 flag headstart. ZOMG!

[edit on 16f20093amWed, 10 Jun 2009 01:11:40 -050040 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
That happens, the best thing to do is help one another out with research, any research you might have that they don't.

In a a month everyone will have forgotten the topic anyway, but you will always have each other.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
I think a lot of these problems could be solved by using the MERGE thread function, which is often used on a lot of forums. If both members accpeted than the threads could be merged. That would bring it's own issues, but, it's an idea. I agree, the search function could be improved. Would it be possible to embed Google? EDIT: Just read the Boolean search thread, great! Maybe Google ain't necessary.

[edit on 16f20093amWed, 10 Jun 2009 01:05:29 -050029 by HiAliens]

OH I didn't know they had that.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

ZOMG didn't you?
They don't have that function and I've never seen it used, it was just a suggestion. I've rethought it though and I've gone back to believing in survival of the fittest thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
reply to post by Stormdancer777

ZOMG didn't you?
They don't have that function and I've never seen it used, it was just a suggestion. I've rethought it though and I've gone back to believing in survival of the fittest thread.

LOL, I need rest.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

that would be a pretty good idea...

it's just, i like the idea of receiving credit where credit is due!

even though my thread got on the main page, the other one's been on the main page for 2 days now!

i guess it was just a matter of traffic on ATS...

anyway, i don't usually have much time to be digging up dirt on conspiracies, and what little time i do have i make an effort to get it on ATS!

...i just don't wanna be wasting my time if the threads i create get undermined by newer ones, that's all

top topics

join