It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Canadian Mint's 'lost' gold worth a mint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Royal Canadian Mint's 'lost' gold worth a mint

www.thestar.com

While officials at the Royal Canadian Mint have not publicly released a value, insiders have confirmed that auditors are trying to track precious metals, believed to be gold, worth in the "double digits" of millions.

At today's prices, $10 million worth of gold would weigh more than 250 kilograms.

An external audit, launched in early March, is trying to reconcile the mint's records with the physical stocks of gold, silver, platinum and palladium, the four precious metals used by the Crown corporation in its production of coins and collector sets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Mmm-Hmmm... A "bookkeeping error" eh?

Anyone buying that fairy tale should invest quickly (not with gold obviously, as that's "missing" lol) in florida swamp land.

Sounds like the hoarding of precious metals and "disappearence" of them as well is continuing, as I think TPTB worldwide are recognizing that the idiotic I.O.U. monetary fraud policies are reaching their final stages of catastrophe. So they're stacking the decks in their favor of items that are actually worth something, by hoarding, and STEALING them IMHO.

Nice.

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-6-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I would assume that they would have some sort of security for the average workers, metal detectors, x-ray, whatever. Security is tight.
So I don't assume it accumulated theft by average Joe worker, but I would say inside job.

...250 kilos would fit nicely in a few duffle bags.

This line sounds very suspicious to me on a few levels.

He faulted the Conservative government for not being more forthcoming about the controversy

They seem to imply that the government is hiding something.

......I need to get a smelter.

Interesting find DD.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There is some really really large project out there that has been having quite a ton of money and resources being funnelled to it by several nations.

It needs so much money and resources, that hiding the transfers is becoming serious difficult.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Maybe they sold it to cash4gold? I hear they are paying an extra 20% till july 4th... Still this one wonders just what is up with all the gold? First the US can no longer find a bunch of its gold and now Canada is missing some of its gold?

Where in the heck is all the gold going? China? Space aliens? Larry Silverstiens pocket? Seriously I think people should be more upset over things like this.... especially in this economy.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
There is some really really large project out there that has been having quite a ton of money and resources being funnelled to it by several nations.

It needs so much money and resources, that hiding the transfers is becoming serious difficult.

Care to elaborate?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by vegno

Originally posted by Aeons

Care to elaborate?

Just something I've been seeing for a while.

There has always been slush funds. But some of the money and resources that have been going missing or being redirected are getting quite large. Like the money from the bailouts that no one is allowed to know what it went to.

There gets to be a point when those who are rich have so much money that it begins to mean nothing. You can only wipe your bum with so much money before it loses its appeal to be so stupid. The amounts that are being "lost" or redirected are way way beyond that amount for the group that could be accused of doing it for their personal gain.

Logically, that leaves something or some project that is being done that requires more money and resources than can be trickled to it over a longer period of time.

Which says to me that there is some sort of time crunch involved in such a project.

I have no suggestion as to what this project could be. I've been sort of snowballing some ideas as to what it could be for about 2 years now but I haven't really seen anything out in the World that makes me go "AHHHH! There You Are" yet.

I could get the ball rolling with other's and suggest Clarke's Contact, or the movie Deep Impact to suggest a couple of potentional scenarios for needing a lot of money and resources in secret but in a very short period of time. A new Manhattan Project.

[edit on 2009/6/9 by Aeons]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Indeed interesting thought... If the money was being funneled anywhere I would think it would go to a D.U.M.B. and other Ark type projects... 2012 type of things that our governments privately take seriously and publicly disavow.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
reply to post by Aeons

Indeed interesting thought... If the money was being funneled anywhere I would think it would go to a D.U.M.B. and other Ark type projects... 2012 type of things that our governments privately take seriously and publicly disavow.

Ark projects are definately in the top 3 of my snowballed list of potential projects that might require insane amounts of money.

Personally I think Ark projects are a great idea.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Interesting. Don't mean to hijack the OP but what exactly are Ark Projects? Did a quick search and didn't come up with anything relevant.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
An ark project is a project dedicated to the survival of humanity. Like the seed bank ark in Norway.

a D.U.M.B. would stand for a deep underground military bunker.

Also meant to survive anything and to hold a large population.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vegno

I recommend reading a book called STARK by Ben Elton.
I read it when it first came out in 1989 and it really struck a chord with me, I've been seeing all these big public building projects go massively over budget and dissapearing billions and have always had this in the back of my mind.

a brief synopsis from wikapedia

"The protagonist, Colin "CD" Dobson, lives a humdrum life, at a critical point in history. The environment is being rapidly destroyed by a series of 'avalanches' - sudden upsets in the Earth's ecosystem that cause widespread destruction. The Stark conspiracy is a cabal of the world's richest and most influential men, who have long been aware that the planet's entire ecosystem is approaching total collapse. For decades they have been launching unmanned spacecraft loaded with supplies into orbit around the Earth and the Moon. Seeking to save their own lives and leave everyone else to suffer from 'total toxic overload', they secretly create a fleet of spacecraft with the intention of founding a colony on the Moon.

Using crude intimidatory tactics, they purchase land from Aboriginals in Western Australia, to use as a launch site. They sell stocks and commodities to raise cash, selling the assets at the same time and in high volumes, to engineer a worldwide crash of the stockmarkets and lower the price of the resources they need. They buy the Moon from the United States government, along with the hardware to reach it.

Six vessels are designed to travel to the Moon, three of which will carry humans. There is room for 250 humans on the craft. The vessels are named 'Star Arks', referencing the Biblical story of Noah's Ark. The Star Arks contain human and animal embryos in suspended animation, as well as resources needed for life support. The Star Arks are prepared under the cover story that the consortium is building a desert hotel and retreat."

I think this is one of the things that put my tinfoil hat firmly on my head.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Working for a Central Bank in the UK we have custody of Gold Bullion in our vaults ( last time I checked it was around 370,000 bars).
I have worked in Bullion here ( I have now switched roles) for about 8 years , Now our system is slightly older than most other custodians so I can only speak for us here..
The process is the bars come in off the back of a truck, we mark them with our own unique number , then weigh them, and then transfer them to a vault.

I have nocticed that bars occasionally lose a bit of either dust or more regularly a small chip ( the size of a fingernail clipping) , it got quite bad ( well bad for the bars and their owners) as we used to collect them in a tobacco tin and then sell them to the jewellers across the road ( in teh old days beofre I started, after that we just collected them in the tin and put them away, we didn't sell it at all).
When we finished working with the bars our hands used to be covered with gold dust. we just washed it all away. I hate to think how much was actually lost over the years.

In transferring or moving bars you may actually chip a bit more off if the mover is a cr*p driver banging into walls.
There were no security measures as such apart from the vaults doors and many a time I thought about smuggling one out to the the security office to inform them they have a major problem but we fixed it after I mentioned it a few times.

If the conditions are right , when the bar is smelted sometimes as the bars are poured a drop would land on the bar after had cooled a second or two , a crust would form and the drop would land on the crust and form a small ball or nodule, which is easy to 'nudge' off by simply nudging it with another gold bar,

There were /are no metal detectors or scanners for the old or current staff that worked/work with the bars, theyre just vetted by the police and the vault volumes are checked monthly by counting each and every single bar in a particular vault ( there are 8 here). Plus how many in other establishments are unknown to me.

Gold is chippable if you know how , and even a very small amount wouldn't register on the scales we used ( they can weigh a postage stamp difference) each bar can wegih upto 2 stone or 13kilos each. 80 bars make one metric tonne. you cannot scratch a small bit off with your fingernail but a hammer and chisel would do it.

Ove the years here I really hate to think what has gone missing , but there are even bars in our museum stores ( presents from banks and individuals to governors and directors) which the person being gifted cannot take home, I know for certain thast the late Eddie George has a 1kilo bar given to him , ( on display in the museum).
If there are ways to steal things like this people will try it and in the end when the auditers are in , it will all add up.

[edit on 10/6/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Stevie I'm not liking this oversight man you got take back the RCMP from Blackwater there selling you out.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
More recent reports merely say that they think it was "stolen."

www.thestar.com...

Here is the Mint.ca's media release - with a link to Deloitte&Touche's findings

I'm thinking that 15.3 (or 18.8) Million Dollars worth of gold isn't just slipped into one's pocket a bit at a time and walked out with. The sheer weight of this gold precludes many "opps" or petty larcency type deals.

Missing gold from mint headquarters still a mystery

The Mint seems to be trying to make out like this is a minor error. I'd like to know how much weight we are talking about here. 15 million "opps" isn't "we washed gold dust off our hands." It

[edit on 2009/7/9 by Aeons]

new topics

top topics

join