It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians not the only ones peeved over 'Buy American'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

This is the most anti-american website I have ever been on. What is wrong with buying American?

If you have not noticed, we are having tough economic times. What does a wise family do when things get tough? They trade with each other to keep money in the family.

We do not have any obligation to buy products from other countries. If we are willing to pay a little extra for American products, it is the wise thing to do.

This comment is a perfect example of stunning american arrogance and ignorance, thinking the US can live on an island by themselves. Wake up call - you can't.

Here is one example. Canada is by far the largest supplier of oil to the US. Maybe we should "cut you off"?

Or do you only want it your way and to hell with everybody else?

The Canadian response here is not about protectionism but is simply trying to bring the topic to the front news page.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

How is that arrogant and where did I say we can live on an island by oursevles? Jeesh, you have constructed a whole story based on what your imagination found between the lines.

It is our money and we can do whatever we want with it. It is your oil and you do whatever you want with it. At least we would have the good sense not to act like we are ENTITLED to your oil.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

reply to post by leo123

How is that arrogant and where did I say we can live on an island by oursevles? Jeesh, you have constructed a whole story based on what your imagination found between the lines.

It is our money and we can do whatever we want with it. It is your oil and you do whatever you want with it. At least we would have the good sense not to act like we are ENTITLED to your oil.

Actually you do think you are entitled to our oil. But that is another point.

Why are we mad about the sudden shift? Here is a really good reason. We have American companies up here. GM, Chrysler, Ford, that is the tip of the iceberg. These companies got money from the US government. Why should Canadian tax money be spent on AMERICAN companies? Why should I be forced to prop up a company? I could care less if they leave Canada. If the parent company wants them to stay, and the US government does not want them to fail, then they should be footing the bill, not me.

On top of that, you DO have a commitment to purchasing our stuff in the way of CONTRACTS. Just because the President says to buy American, does not nullify previous contracts, that are LEGALLY BINDING. But then again the US has been shafting us for a long time. If you don't like the rules of the game, you change them, it has been happening for years, look at softwood lumber as a great example.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

At least we would have the good sense not to act like we are ENTITLED to your oil.

Apparently you don't, as you insisted that you have access to it when we wrote up our free trade agreement 20 odd years ago.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Well I for one do not think I am entitled to Canadian oil. I think your fight should be with your own government. You have a valid question, why is your government subsidizing American car companies, for that matter, why is the American government doing it? I suggest you complain to your leaders about the foolishness of handing out money to foreign private businesses.

I am sure Obama saying we should buy American does not negate the responsiblity under law that someone faces after they have signed a contract.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Well if you and the rest of your country has a problem with it then quit pumping it out the ground and shipping it down here. That would pretty much end the discussion.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

My point is more that the roots of trade between nations are so entrenched and entangled that simply saying "Buy ______an" just won't work. There are very few industries left in the world that are solely one nation. Just like the car companies, it might say made in America, but where were the parts made?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Well we are not obligated to buy anything from Canada.

Actually you are, according to NAFTA. Trust me, there are plenty of Canadians that aren't happy with this arrangement as well. The politicians put it in place and now that the economy is less than stagnant you want to pull out of it? It was great for the last 20 years when you had the advantage but now it's no good? That's not how it works.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by jd140
Bingo.

They want the stimulus money.

It's not about Stimulus money
it's about money through business that canadians were already getting before the stimulus that did nothign.

So I guess that quote I posted was about another issue or is that the part of the article that you would like to choose to ignore?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

What exactly are Americans obligated to buy because of NAFTA? Its called the North American FREE TRADE agreement not the FORCED TRADE agreement.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What exactly are Americans obligated to buy because of NAFTA? Its called the North American FREE TRADE agreement not the FORCED TRADE agreement.

Oh really? That's why there are so many Maritimers living in other parts of the country because they sold away the fishing industry. I'm one of them pal and I didn't care for it one bit. NOW that the tables are turned it's no good anymore?

Btw, I'm not talking about the 20-30 items that are Canadian made at Walmart. I'm talking about industries. Like fish, lumber, oil. The industries that employ a lot of people.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Well if you would calm down and explain what you are talking about then maybe we could have a rational conversation about it.

I am not Canadian and also do not know much about Canadian business. So if you would please explain in greater detail what you are talking about then I might learn something from you.

What do you specifically mean about fishing, logging, etc.. how is the US screwing you or how are forced to buy your products?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

I've already explained it. This set up was put in place by Mulroney, made God curse him. The US has had the trade advantage for over 20 years. There are numerous court battles going on where the US has tried to get around the FT agreement to suit themselves. West coast salmon. Soft wood comes to mind as well.

FTR, I'm not pissed at Americans. I'd love to get one punch into Mulroney's abundant jaw though.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Thanks, now could you please give me details on the Salmon and Softwood and exactly what Mulroney did to screw Canadians? Thanks for your help.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Aside of us silly Canucks, Buy American costs America money.

Sure a few people (steel comes to mind) will get some extra money, but others will be losing money and jobs. If you'd like to shut out your largest consumer to save a few bucks, feel free. You're only hurting yourselves in the long run.

Like the folks at the US Chamber of Commerce say:

“If our goal is to create good-paying jobs at home by selling American-made goods and services overseas—where 95% of the world’s consumers live—then ‘Buy American’ requirements don’t make sense. If we refuse to buy foreign-made goods, then our trading partners will refuse to buy from us. And since we are the world’s largest exporter, who will be hurt more?

“‘Buy American’ casts our trading partners as enemies, which is absurd. Foreign firms employ over five million Americans at good wages, for a total payroll of more than $350 billion. Folks outside the Beltway understand this. In fact, state governors compete intensely to attract the next Toyota or Siemens facility.

“It’s easy to demagogue opposition to such a pleasing sounding thing as ‘Buy American.’ But it’s time to face the reality about the real-world consequences of these provisions for American workers, businesses, and our nation’s global standing. And let’s take note of history. In 1930, when Congress approved the Smoot-Hawley tariffs, other countries responded by closing their markets. The upshot was a collapse in U.S. trade that turned a sharp recession into the Great Depression.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have never realized how touchy you Canadians are. Its not as if this "Buy American" thing is anything new, that slogan is all over the place and has been for years. You guys aren't broke yet.

Convienance will out shine patriotism. You guys will get some of our money, might not be bail out money as the guy and the article was complaining about.

Even if we did boycott Canada it would serve you right for unleashing Celin Deon onto the world.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Even if we did boycott Canada it would serve you right for unleashing Celin Deon onto the world.

Sir, you have our heart felt sympathies for that. But fair play, you did give us Carrottop.

Edit: Oh and the Baldwin brothers.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I see Carrot Top and the Baldwin brothers.

And raise you,

Avril Lavigne, Ryan Reynolds, Pamela Anderson, Sum 41.

Don't raise me all in. I have one Celebrity in reserve that the Canadians should have revoked citizenship.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Alright, I read up on your links. It is very interesting. It appears to me that these are normal disagreements that would occur in a major change of the political and economic structure brought on by something like NAFTA.

Maybe it is that you Canadians are not used to the American love of lawsuits. If that is the case, I see your point, as I dont understand it either.

I guess eventually they will work it out. I can see the Americans having a valid issue on softwood lumber being subsidized by the Canadian governments. I can also see the Canadians being upset that they are loosing some fish.

It just appears to me that this is how things work when you implement a new set of rules. Everything looks good on paper, but does not necessarily pan out in the real world without a good fight or two to settle the differences.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join