It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Taliban Killed in Afghanistan as US Deploys More Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

60 Taliban Killed in Afghanistan as US Deploys More Troops

www.voanews.com

Authorities in southern Afghanistan said local and foreign troops have killed as many as 60 Taliban militants in the past week, as part of a stepped up anti-insurgency operation. And about 7,000 additional U.S. troops have begun deploying across volatile southern Afghanistan.

Deployment of additional American troops in Afghan border areas has worried Pakistani officials. They have long maintained the militancy in Pakistan has gained strength from insurgents who have been fleeing the U.S-led offensive in Afghanistan and taking refuge in Pakistani border areas.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Top US official warns that war in Afghanistan strengthens Taliban in Pakistan
Pakistan Claims More Gains Against Taliban
Pakistani army closes in on Swat town; bomb kills 11

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
OK once again we are getting conflicting reports.

The US is suppose to be getting it's rear being handed to them from the Taliban. Now they are supposedly running away and hiding in neighboring Pakistan. We know Pakistan has been a safe haven for the Taliban for years.

So now what? We are moving even more troops into Afghanistan I say they are prepping for action in Pakistan since the Taliban are fleeing over the border into their country,

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
WOW 3 Stars and no replies now that is a conspiracy.
Thanks

One shameless bump then off into the Abyss.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Who knows, it's all propaganda, the anti-war faction wanted to paint Bush's wars as horrible and now the anti-war faction that voted for Obama wants Obama to look good.

Still 7,000 troops to kill 60 militants doesn't seem like a good ratio. Nothing against our troops, but Afghanistan is not exactly the easiest terrain to fight on. I watched something on Discovery Channel or one of those channels and our troops were saying how they were out of breath while people with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and wearing sandals were running circles around them.

Something about our troops not being adapted to the mountainous terrain and high altitude.

Either way, Afghanistan didn't get the nick name of, "Where Empires Go to Die" for nothing. I also thing it would be tactically better to get them to run into Pakistan and then with joint operation between Pakistan and our Military to sandwich in the Taliban and snuff them out.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I don't believe much of anything.

One report states we are loosing then another comes out the next day stating the Taliban are fleeing.

MSM what a joke.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I agree, let them run to Pakistan and between us and the Pakistani military, we should be able to sandwich them in.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Local militias in Northwestern Pakistan are heroically pushing back the Taliban with little or no help. I admire these moderate Muslims and am surprised these efforts aren't being reported more often. It isn't always about us. The majority of the world's nearly 1 billion Muslims think the Taliban suck too.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yeah there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.
Check out the link in my signature for the extensive details.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I really hope Pakistan plays ball.......

Let's hope they can cover a fair majority of their border, otherwise we'll see another 7 thousand troops there soon.

Cha ching. More money.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Clear the place of all civilians and let us fight it out. No rules use what you bring, last country standing wins.

Once that is all done, bring back the civilians and let them decide what kind of government they want to be and the winners ( us) do a full withdraw. No troop left behind.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

How do you propose we figure out which ones are the civilians? That's the whole point of an insurgency. They blend right in. The only time you know somebody is an insurgent is when they're shooting at you.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Considering that it would never happen I guess I can continue my theory for you.

Close the borders, set up about 100 heavily armed check points. Once these check points are in place circulate fliers every way possible saying that citizens have 2 weeks to be processed through these check points before the free for all happens.

Those trying to pass through with weapons or sensitive materials will be arrested and held as combatants.

At the end of the 2 weeks the free for all starts.

Keep in mind that this plan hasn't been completely thought out. It is a general plan that I won't waste anymore time thinking about because it would never happen.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by mattifikation

Considering that it would never happen I guess I can continue my theory for you.

Close the borders, set up about 100 heavily armed check points. Once these check points are in place circulate fliers every way possible saying that citizens have 2 weeks to be processed through these check points before the free for all happens.

Those trying to pass through with weapons or sensitive materials will be arrested and held as combatants.

At the end of the 2 weeks the free for all starts.

Keep in mind that this plan hasn't been completely thought out. It is a general plan that I won't waste anymore time thinking about because it would never happen.

Well, first off you'd be sitting ducks.
The enemy would know exactly where you are, every time.
Also, it would be impossible to determine who your enemies are.
It would make it even easier for them to blend in.

Who would be stupid enough to try and sneak through heavily armed checkpoints with weapons?
The terrain also gives the enemy the advantage of sneaking through the perimiter, as you couldn't cover it all.
There would be too many flaws.
Snuffing them out, by groups, precision strikes, especially unmanned crafts would be ideal.

Intelligence (gathering) is crucial in this type/condition of war.

Stay safe there JD. And God Bless You.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
We have returned to the "body count" days of the Vietnam war.

Problem is, no one ever tells you have many you have to kill to win.

(Pssst - it's because that number doesn't exist - therefore body counts are meaningless.)

top topics

join