It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shorty crater oddities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
A while back- I was looking at a panoramic of Shorty Crater, and basically just 'looking', til I wandered across an anomaly.... Off to the far left, right at the dip before the crater edge raises up again, is something that to my eyes looks for all the world like a modern art sculpture. It's silhouetted against the light gray hill behind it- and looks see thru on some of the curves?

Any Opinions? Ideas? Do I need new glasses (which I *am* getting
)?

Here's a stock pic of the crater- just enlarge and trot left to the end of it. You cant miss the thing.
Shorty crater stuff

On a related note... I KNOW I am seeing things under it. Is that a tunnel entrance with a road or track coming out of it?! I swear it looks just like a mine shaft.

Weird...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Yes, I see that sculpture type thing on the left of the crater it looks strange.

Now even stranger, look at the shadows on the left side of the image.
Now look at the shadows on the right side.

The shadows are going different directions.

Has this photo been altered? Or can shadows be cast on the right and the left at the same instant like in this photo.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Curious and curiouser.. Worse yet, I never really noticed.
Probably from the image being so freaking long. I wonder what the heck that's from- because to do that, they'd have to have been there like over 2 weeks to get a Lunar Sunrise AND SUNSET.... Is it 2 weeks or is it longer? At any rate, it's a LOT longer than the 'few' days they had to do their work in.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Maybe my eyes are on the way out but i dont see anything strange.

And your directions to find this object kinda confused me.

Off to the far left, right at the dip before the crater edge raises up again, is something that to my eyes looks for all the world like a modern art sculpture. It's silhouetted against the light gray hill behind it

The only thing i see silhouetted against the hill is on the far right of the pic.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Now even stranger, look at the shadows on the left side of the image.
Now look at the shadows on the right side.

The shadows are going different directions.

It is wide field of view photo ...

Most likely around 180 degrees

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Here is a blow up. It should be a little right of center.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0509ce268304.jpg[/atsimg]

I see it but have no Idea. I'll leave it to the experts.

Peace,

Guz

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Is that what you were referring to, or is it in the main crater?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The light seems to be coming from behind the camera, and there's probably some distortion of the shadows since that's a panoramic image, each of those little crosses is a separate picture.

I'm not sure what you are talking about in reference to modern art, to me, all modenr art pretty much looks like blasted landscapes.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I cropped, enlarged, and labeled what I am talking about with this pic:

No other enhancements, fiddling, additives or preservatives added. I brightened the pic a little, tho to bring out the mining shaft looking hole. I also see (and didn't see) any reason to enlarge, crop, sharpen, enhance, color shift, emboss, and zoom til the pixels were the size of dice.
I don't like doing this- it gives it that weirdo 'there's alien artifacts on the moon and I can not only prove it, I will name them!' feel- at least to me. Keep in mind, I only labeled them as I described them in the post. Whatever the heck these things REALLY are- we may never know.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by wylekat]

*edited thanks to fumble fingers*

[edit on 8-6-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I see what your talking about now.
To me it looks like the entrance to a mine.

I dont think its anything out the ordinary but what i wrote on the pic is what first popped into my head.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Here is the "art" blown up from the original print that was used to make that mosaic-panorama (not from the stitched-together panorama itself). In this photo, it looks like an average Moon rock:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d534547aecea.jpg[/atsimg]

You really shouldn't use those panoramas if you want to do research, since they are 3rd-party prints and not the originals. The panorama you linked is from the company "moonpans.com" (not NASA) and is a mosaic made up of several pictures. (...by the way, to answer another question asked here, the shadows are inconsistent throughout the mosaic-panorama because that mosaic of pictures covers 180 degrees of view.)

Since this is not an original "raw photo", it is possible to have all kinds of artifacts on the print (spots, streaks, etc.). I looked at two of the origianl pictures that were part of this panorama and didn't see any mineshaft or pipes or anything else...I think they are simply artifacts from the print made by "moonpans.com" and are not actually on the real pictures. Plus, companies like moonpans.com alter the original pictures a bit to make them look nice.

If you're interested in scans of the real NASA prints, here are links to hi-res scans of those two original pictures:

history.nasa.gov...
history.nasa.gov...

Use these pictures to "brighten/enlarge/etc.", and then see if a mineshaft, pipes, or conveyor belt is visible.

[edit on 6/8/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well, for openers, the 'mine shaft' part isnt on this original print. I dunno what to make of that, unless someone at Moonpans thought it'd be fricking hilarious to put something extra on the pic. Compare the one I have to this pic, and see what I mean... mine has structures in the crater (rocks, debris, ect)- the pic you posted linkwise are just black and show film grain, maybe a couple of small bright spots. That just makes me wonder what ELSE this company might have monkeyed with, if they did in fact 'alter' the pic in the first place like that.

However, ya gotta admit, that is one wacky looking moon rock! It still doesn't look like the rest of the rocks around the crater at all. What ever it is, it is an interesting shape- even if it's 'just a rock'.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I don't think they intentionally altered it, but since this was a 2nd, 3rd, or even greater generation picture, there are bound to be spots, streaks, etc that end up in the prints.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Heres one that shows the "conveyor belt?" is just lines in the photo and not part of the crater.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c1489dab36d.jpg[/atsimg]

From here history.nasa.gov...

Bigger version with more detail here history.nasa.gov...

[edit on 8-6-2009 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

*groan* Now I wanna know what the heck that funny looking rock in the left foreground is...

It's obvious we need a single standard for moon photos. There's too many diff flavors of the same pics running around all over the place! It's worse than doing the 'Where's Waldo' books!

*gives up, walks off, has lunch*

top topics

join