It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cloud With No Name: Meteorologists Campaign to Classify Unique 'Asperatus' Clouds Seen Across

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Kind of hard to believe, but apparently there is now a "new" type of cloud formation that is showing up around the world that hasn't even been named yet!

The cloud with no name: Meteorologists campaign to classify unique 'Asperatus' clouds seen across the world

Whipped into fantastical shapes, these clouds hang over the darkening landscape like the harbingers of a mighty storm.

But despite their stunning and frequent appearances, the formations have yet to be officially recognised with a name.

They have been seen all over Britain in different forms - from Snowdonia to the Scottish Highlands - and in other parts of the world such as New Zealand, but usually break up without producing a storm.
******SKIP******
Experts at the Royal Meteorological Society are now attempting to make it official by naming it 'Asperatus' after the Latin word for 'rough'.

If they are successful, it would be the first variety of cloud formation to be given a new label in over half a century

'It is a bit like looking at the surface of a choppy sea from below,'

Here's a couple pictures of the clouds that are waiting for a name!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/301174973f13.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fba6a2ffd74.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e0871b0d42d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c78723945946.jpg[/atsimg]

Pretty gnarly looking clouds!

Kind of strange how these types of cloud formations haven't been seen til recently.

Meteorologists say it would take a lot of heat and water vapor to produce clouds as dramatic as these!

Hmmm, .... could these formations be a result of this warming trend the Earth seems to be going thru now?

[edit on 6/6/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
or could it be the work of....... Photoshop!!!!! yeah these pictures are bs but kinda cool just needs some work to be more believable

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This has been posted before on this thread.

I will however gladly take the opportunity to say something

I find it hard to tell from the article whether this truly is a new cloud, or just a new term. The old term for these type of clouds is 'undulatus' which simply means 'wave-like' - but clouds can be wave-like on multiple ways, so it's not a good term to discern different cloud types. So a new term 'asperatus' to describe exactly these types of waves is a very good idea - but does it mean those clouds have not been spotted before? There seem to be some photos of these clouds under the term 'undulatus'.. maybe it's even a mix between Mammatus and undulatus?

someone's webpage about altostratus undulatus

[edit on 6-6-2009 by scraze]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
They gotta be photo shopped. They are all have copyrights by the same guy. Kinda hard to believe that he was so lucky to have seen ALL of these formations.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by scraze
This has been posted before on this thread.

Oooops! My Bad!

Forgot to check to see if this was already being discussed!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
the Guinness cloud.....reminds me of Guinness....just my thoughts
i've seen these clouds when i used to live in N.Y. but very rarely, and only when it was about to get ugly outside.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
These new cloud formations can be seen at these websites as well, so I don't think the photos were photoshopped:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.cloudappreciationsociety.org...

They will probably blame it on global warming but another site mentioned the possibility of chemicals in the atmosphere causing these cloud formations - I am not sure if I believe in chemtrails, etc but it is another possibility.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad
or could it be the work of....... Photoshop!!!!! yeah these pictures are bs but kinda cool just needs some work to be more believable

Hate to burst your bubble, but I know for fact this image that was posted, is the real deal.

I know because I live here, and remember the day it happened. The building in the background is Quaker Oats with I-380 running along side it.

Local News articles:
www.kcrg.com...
www.kcrg.com...

Slideshow of 50 pics of the clouds from our city alone:
community.webshots.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad

They could be, but I saw this same cloud type over Wyoming all day yesterday. Pretty sure they didn't photo shop reality...

On a further note we have been having some really really weird weather here lately. Let me explain.

We have really harsh winters here with lots and lots of snow. We had days in the 60's most of the winter this year.. Then as soon as spring hit it we got all kinds of snow. A ton of it!

This area is considered high desert. Our water comes from snowfall and it very rarely rains here. It has been raining almost constantly for the last 4 weeks. Some people have been here their whole life and have been telling me that this kind of weather has never happened before. As we speak there is a dark cloud approaching about to pour more rain on us. We never get rain here!! (other than once or twice a year) This is really weird.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Now the clouds i have seen up close and personal may not be aspreatus clouds,and if they are,their certainly not as dramatic as the pictures shown. but their rather odd,don't you think?

they appeared around the same day theses "New clouds" were "discovered"
and they appeared about 2 days after i spotted a chemtrail in the sky

odd aren't they? unfortunately,the next day(in the same skies)their was an even more spactacular cloud structure in the sky and i had no camera with me at the time

the clouds made up a structure that looked like the rib cage and spinal cord of a skeleton!! ..I still regret not having my camera on that day haha..

but hey,if these are natural occurring clouds,could someone explain to me their classification what weather conditions caused them to look like that? thanks!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Odd new clouds.

Very odd to have new odd clouds.

You would assume clouds would be less "odd" these days.

Odd.

new topics

top topics

join