It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold War Teachings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
Why worry about the history books? You have plenty of people around that can tell you about the "Cold" War.

most of info about cold war i learned... from ATS

for ATS!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Actually, the class I am in is learning about it right now

Its weird... we're just skimming through it. There are sections in each chapter, and this one, we start with the begining of the Cold War. And after that, we went straight to the end. No inbetween stuff. We didn't learn about the Vietnm war, or the Cuban Missle crisis. I was interested, so I read it myself... but why would we leave out Vietnam??? I thought it was interesting!

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What do you mean? Last time I looked in our schools encyclopedia, the Soviet Union was alive and well what kind of crackhead are you?

j/k, Actually in the 6th grade (in 11th now) the Soviet Union still existed in our books LOL. I took world history last year and our teacher told us plenty about the Soviet Union but not that much about the Cold War itself. No mention of our funding wars all over the world. Nothing about how are soldiers are been shot at with weapons we supplied.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
My teacher has never said anything about the cold war. Were studying about Cuba and she said that they were with russia so we did't like them because that we were having trouble with russia. She said that about 8 times. Not once did she say "cold war".

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was lucky then. My U.S. History class was taught by a complete non-conformist. I think we actually read maybe 10 pages out of the whole book, because he said that the book was filled with half-truths and lies. Most of the class time was spent discussing and dissecting things like corporation control of the media, government, and basically everything else in the U.S., along with how all sides of WWII and the cold war used exaggerated and sometimes false propoganda to further their own agendas. He also went over things like the destruction of the environment, materialism, genetically engineered food, pollution, and the ignorance and laziness of people today. But we still learned about the usual stuff that U.S. History classes learn about.

I took that class my junior year, and right now i've just graduated high school. I'm glad I had him for a teacher because even though I didn't agree with everything he said, he indirectly led me to ATS and other web-sites, where I feel i've learned more than anything any high school or even college class can teach me.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's looked over because they don't want to teach that Canada really won the war. It was won in 1972 with the Summit Series. With Canada's best beating the Soviets best, breaking their spirts, it would only be a matter of time before the Iron Curtain fell. If the Soviets couldn't beat Canada at hockey, how could they win the arms race.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The text book in my school is modern. It manages, in its whole tiny 10 pages on the cold war, not to even mention NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Apparently the only 3 countries in the cold war were the US, the USSR, and cuba. Oh, and germany for 1 page on the berlin wall. And phrases such as deterrence and mutually assured destruction aren't even gone anywhere near. The nuclear arms section was stupid. Then vietnam, and afghanistan and other wars involving the us or ussr aren't even mentioned. Oh, i despair....

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I was lucky now that the school year is over I can say for sure we didn't get enough of the cold war. I did have one of the best teachers ever for eighth grade, he taught us what wasn't in the books. Luckily my school makes us take the US constitution test in seventh grade so that saves time. But man the schools are messed up. My seventh grade teacher got of subject so easily. We asked if he thought we would win the war in Iraq and that was half the class period down the toilet.

Sorry for getting to far off subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join