It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly bat disease spreading fast, scientists warn Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Deadly bat disease spreading fast, scientists warn Congress

www.mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON — A mysterious disease that's killing tens of thousands of bats in the Northeast is spreading so fast that it could reach California within five years, biologists and officials of the Agriculture and Interior departments told lawmakers Thursday.

"Never in my wildest imagination would I have dreamed of anything that could pose this serious a threat to America's bats," Merlin Tuttle, a biologist with Bat Conservation International who's studied the creatures for 50 years, told two House of Representatives subcommittees.

He called the bat-killing disease, which could threa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Gee first the bee's now the bat's , what's next ??

Lets see if this bat disease manages to jump into a pig then a person , would make a great flu , no ?

The article raises an interesting point about agriculture , .... " According to the Agriculture Department, bats eat pests that otherwise would cost farmers up to $1 billion a year in damages." ..... Last thing the farmers need at this time .

We will have to see how this story develops in the coming months .

www.mcclatchydc.com

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I live on the coast and we welcome the bats. They keep the mosquitos at bay, and besides that they're kind of cute. I can see Dengue fever and Malaria being a big problem in this area without them. I hope they figure this out soon.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Bats definitely keep the bug population at bay...but what the hell could congress do anyhow? Instead of blowing money on lobbying Congress calling this to their attention...why not just use that money to help find a cure and go to the state governments?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I know some of us may be thinking this already, but are all these new diseases and problems being created? I mean like in a laboratory, for example, with bad intentions.

Swine flu, Salmonella, West Nile. I'm not stupid. I mean something seems to be stinking.

But, then the media is in a big frenzy, and you end up with something that is blown way out of proportion. I don't personally know a single person who got West Nile, when that scare was out.

Scare tactics mixed with actual incidents. The world is full of problems, and we are supposed to be scared to walk out our front doors. 911 anyone?

Troy

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Maybe the bees were being eaten by the bats, and now that there's not enough bees the bats have become malnourished and are prone to infection.

Unlikely, I admit. Laughable, for sure. But my real point is that crap like this usually happens because humans messed with nature and destroyed an ecosystem somewhere. A bat die-off will cause the insect population to increase, which in turn will result in an increase in insect-born diseases. In addition, crops may suffer when the pest population goes up.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
But, then the media is in a big frenzy, and you end up with something that is blown way out of proportion.

And how many times have we heard here on ATS members saying how this next disease (the bird flu for one) was going to almost wipe the world out, was brought about by the NWO, and then it just fizzles out.

New diseases always occur, they evolve, but so does our immune system.

I think that bird flu has been talked about for almost 2 years here on ATS about how it was/is going to spread like wild fire around the globe, but it has never happened.

I take all these "potential epidemics" with a grain of salt anymore!

They all seem to peter out to nothing more than media hype!

[edit on 6/6/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Originally posted by cybertroy
But, then the media is in a big frenzy, and you end up with something that is blown way out of proportion.

And how many times have we heard here on ATS members saying how this next disease (the bird flu for one) was going to almost wipe the world out, was brought about by the NWO, and then it just fizzles out.

New diseases always occur, they evolve, but so does our immune system.

I think that bird flu has been talked about for almost 2 years here on ATS about how it was/is going to spread like wild fire around the globe, but it has never happened.

I take all these "potential epidemics" with a grain of salt anymore!

They all seem to peter out to nothing more than media hype!

[edit on 6/6/2009 by Keyhole]

I concur. The post in the first swine flue thread cough my eye when it said "and so it begins." Any new disease has the potential to be bad, but usually its nothing to worry about.

A bigger point of concern might be how many different problems are suddenly affecting farmers and hindering crop production. Also if you believe in weather manipulation you could surmise that a few droughts across the country could wipe most of our food supply.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This sounds like that bad sci-fi movie of the 80s where bats were spreading bubonic plaque.

OK whats next?

Edit Spelling

[edit on 6-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Gee first the bee's now the bat's , what's next ??

Lets see if this bat disease manages to jump into a pig then a person , would make a great flu , no ?

The article raises an interesting point about agriculture , .... " According to the Agriculture Department, bats eat pests that otherwise would cost farmers up to $1 billion a year in damages." ..... Last thing the farmers need at this time .

I believe all the poor farming communities problems lie within their very own practices. In 1939, Muller developed DDT which became a staple in American agriculture and ever since then, using chemical compounds which have become exponentially more potent (poisonous) we're starting to feel the brunt of that 70 years later.

Colony Collapse Disorder in American Honey Bee's is caused by Pesticides. Something as "unexplainable" as bee's dying off in droves rarely happens "myseriously" because nature is a fine tuned evolved machine and can accommodate a number of environmental variables, even being able to freeze completely and thaw out to go back to work. I have friends who own a 20 acre organic garden with onsite hives and have had no problems with hive collapse. The hive being so successful, the numbers have become so great that they have started selling entire hives to other organic croppers.

Where as on huge commercial lots that use traditional pesticides have noticed considerable "colony collapse disorder" after the family's 4th or 5th generation.

Pretty "unexplainable" to me.

Now, I believe this bat disorder is also related to chemical manipulation of plants and fertilizer. Bats and farmers go way back as friends. Peas and Carrots, no pun intended. Crop lots are the dietary jackpot of bats. They consume 2/3 the amount of plant eating insects that birds do, and they're nocturnal. So what could be the issue? Poisoning?

Yeah, that's sounds about right. Using poison to protect plants. Bees die. Bats die.

I was once told by a very round and knowledgeable lady that 1+1 always = 2.

It's in plain sight.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
This sounds like that bad sci-fi movie of the 80s where bats were spreading bubonic plaque.

OK whats next?

Bats spreading a souped up bubonic plague that can transmit between humans?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

Originally posted by SLAYER69

OK whats next?

Bats spreading a souped up bubonic plague that can transmit between humans?

Yeah it was a runaway case of gingivitis

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This article says nothing about being transmitted to humans, did anybody actually read the article? This is very real and very pressing. Bats play a VITAL role in the ecosystem, and they're gone, things are ony going to get harder for good growers around the world.

The article also states:

Or an unknown disease could be wreaking havoc with their immune systems,

Also an obvious reaction to poison, much like humans and arsenic. A lot of poisons don't cause death, but eventually lead to it. The poison interferes with the immune system, disabling it from sufficiently protecting the body fromt the elements from the outside and free radicals within. Poisons also causes changes in behavioral patterns due to damage of the neurological system in people, which would make sense that they're suddenly awakened, fly around all confused, can't concentrate enough to catch insects (energy), freezing, then fall from the sky dead or dying from exposure.

The best part of the article:

a biology professor at Boston University, told lawmakers it would take $10 million to $17 million over five years to combat the disease

Another bearacratic cash cow paid for by the tax payers. Good job.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
That sounds about right. Why solve a problem, when you can just throw money at it until it goes away? It's only ink on paper, right?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I have yet to see the see the swine flu fizzle out. It's growing rather quickly. Officially, the tally is just shy of 20K, but the WHO says real figures are at least 20x, so a real-world figure is at least 400,000 people. I don't think we've seen the end of this strain. Seeing as it's already June, I doubt this virus will simply fizzle out, and containment is not even an option.

Though, who knows? I could be entirely incorrect.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I have yet to see the see the swine flu fizzle out. It's growing rather quickly. Officially, the tally is just shy of 20K, but the WHO says real figures are at least 20x, so a real-world figure is at least 400,000 people. I don't think we've seen the end of this strain. Seeing as it's already June, I doubt this virus will simply fizzle out, and containment is not even an option.

Though, who knows? I could be entirely incorrect.

IMO prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Noone can know for sure what the swine flue will do this fall.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

www.mcclatchydc.com

i know one company licking there chops

monsanto aka round up

they'll sell more pesticides,,,, or say hey just grow our gm crops that are pest resistant

oh, they'll have a field day with this

new topics

top topics

join