It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama on Iraq, Iran and Israel in Cairo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I know the topic has been discussed before but this was just posted. It's a few clips from his speech and I thought it worth posting I also posted a follow up story of some responces to this speech. Enjoy.

President Barack Obama addressed a wide array of issues, including the Iraq war and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in his address to Muslims in Cairo Thursday. (June 4)

Related story.

Kenyan Muslims Welcome Obama's Words, But Wait For Action

U.S. President Barack Obama's speeches regularly command considerable attention in Kenya, where he has long been adopted as a native son. The president's Cairo speech was being watched particularly closely by Kenya's sizable Muslim community.

President Obama's Kenyan father, born in the western village of Kogelo, has become an integral part of the president's personal narrative. And early on in his speech at Cairo University, President Obama drew on a particular angle of his Kenyan heritage, noting there are many Muslims on his father's side of his family.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Good speech,by Obama but we all know that as long as there is oil in the M.E. we are not leaving at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I'm not sure how long the "Game" will be played in the ME and really start to heat up in Central Asia. I think the ME is almost played out. The lines have been drawn so to speak.

I think the Obama administration may still have a trick or two up it's sleeve.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
While Barack Obama is a great speaker the TRUTH of what is really going on has been known for some time. The Oil concern is huge! Why leave, when its right there, our troops are right next to it. As far as I am concerned we will probably be over there for about five more years, until we can make some sort "deal". I will try and find a video that explains about oil in the M.E and no matter what we say we will not leave until we have it secured...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Hey there TheMythLives. I think you would find what we have been cooking up on another thread that has been collaborated on by a few members her at ATS very interesting. In the end you are right on the money.

Check it out.

The New Great Game

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Awesome. I really need alerts to these kind of threads, I will check it out. It sounds awesome.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well they liked the speech it seems.
I guess they are like the rest of us asking "Wheres the beef"?

Muslims not sure speech means real change

Reporting from Cairo -- He came with goodwill and pretty sentences, but the question kept echoing: Were they enough?

President Obama's long anticipated speech Thursday to the Muslim world sought to dissolve the mistrust between Islam and the West by highlighting his personal appeal as he called for an end to intolerance and violence and a move toward a shared future. It was a carefully textured blend of history, the president's experience with Islam and the need to quell religious extremism.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I have come here to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world; one based upon mutual interest and mutual respect; and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive, and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles – principles of justice and progress; tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.

Based upon mutual inerests.
Not need be in competition.
Common Principles.
Justice.
Progress.
Tolerance.
And dignity of human beings.

What in the hell is he basing this infromation on? I need to see sources for justice, Progress, Tolerance, and especially dignity of human life. Seriously, what?

Why The Presidents Speech Matters and Why it Really Doesn't...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I loved how he explained the war in Afghanistan was a war of nessecity, yet the war in Iraq was a war of choice.
Congratulations, thats the closest we have come to date for someone speaking that Iraq was a war for greedy corporate ambition.

I listened to the speach last night, How can anyone not feel proud that he is leading the west at the moment. No matter what your personal grudge with him, you need to admit that speach was the best yet and mending the anger caused from the previous administration.

I can already imagine terrorists punching the wall, because they too realise Obama just appealed to more young muslims than their brand of rhetoric ever will.

Ive said it before, but ill say it again.

The only people who can cure the world of Muslim fundamentalism are muslims themselves. The window of opportunity for the west to get them on side to ensure they remove the fundamentalists was rapidly closing due to 8yrs of hate and war.

But I think Obama just stuck a mighty pole in that window!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

On this we agree.
I just watched the entire speech. One cant say he isn't a good speaker. I hope some positive things really do come of this.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Many Muslims Praise Tone of Speech, but Call for Action

By MARGARET COKER

Muslims in the Middle East and beyond praised U.S. President Barack Obama for the tone of his speech Thursday, but they had more of a mixed reaction to the substance of the address.

Mr. Obama won over many Muslims for delivering what many viewed as a respectful address -- peppered with the moral message Muslims receive at weekly homilies and the straightforward talk they rarely get from their own leadership.

new topics

top topics

join