It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

TERRORISM: Deadly car bombing in Saudi Arabia - 5 People Killed

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Reports coming from Saudi Arabia say that American's have been killed after Four Militants attacked a compound in Saudi Arabia's Red Sea industrial town of Yanbu. They entered the building and opened fired on the workers, then set off a car bomb after being chased by security forces.
 

An informed source said two of the militants were killed when they detonated the car bomb; a third was shot and killed by Saudi authorities; and the fourth was shot and wounded by authorities and arrested.

The ministry confirmed that three of the militants were killed and the other was injured and arrested.

The ministry did not have an exact casualty figure on how many workers were killed and wounded in Saturday's attack.

The American, Australian and British Embassies in Riyadh are checking reports that some of their nationals could be among the casualties.

Yanbu is about 150 km (100 miles) north of Jeddah and is the first time such an attack has happened there.


Deadly car bombing in Saudi Arabia


[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Ocelot]




posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
RIYADH (Reuters) - Gunmen in Saudi Arabia opened fire on foreigners in an attack in the Red Sea port of Yanbu on Saturday and U.S. diplomats said Americans were reported among the victims.

Saudi Arabia said militants stormed a Saudi contractor's building in the city and an unknown number of foreigners and Saudis were killed, while security forces killed three of the attackers.

"At 7:00 a.m. on Saturday four men entered the headquarters of a Saudi contractor in Yanbu and fired at random on Saudis and foreigners," the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

"Security forces chased them and they took refuge in residential areas and hijacked some cars. Three of them were killed and a fourth was wounded. There were a number of deaths and injuries among Saudis and foreigners," it added.


Gunmen Open Fire in Saudi, U.S. Victims Reported



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
At least five westerners were killed on Saturday in a terror attack in northwestern Saudi Arabia, European diplomats said.

Two Americans, two Britons and an Australian were said to have been killed after three militants stormed a contracting building in the Red Sea port of Yanbu.

Saudi officials said the three terrorists had been killed, as well as an unknown number of foreigners and Saudis.

"At 7:00 A.M. on Saturday four men entered the headquarters of a Saudi contractor in Yanbu and fired at random on Saudis and foreigners," the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

"Security forces chased them and they took refuge in residential areas and hijacked some cars. Three of them were killed and a fourth was wounded. There were a number of deaths and injuries among Saudis and foreigners," it added.


Five Westerners said killed in terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - Gunmen opened fire Saturday in an office where foreigners worked in northwestern Saudi Arabia, killing and wounding some people inside. Americans were among the casualties, and the Saudi Interior Ministry said three attackers were killed.

An Interior Ministry statement did not say how many civilians were killed or wounded in the attack in Yanbu, 550 miles west of Riyadh, or provide details on the nationalities of the foreign casualties.

However, a U.S. Embassy official confirmed Americans were among the casualties. The official provided no further details, but said the U.S. consulate in the Red Sea port city of Jiddah was following up the issue with Saudi authorities. Yanbu is about 220 miles northeast of Jiddah, also along the Red Sea.


Americans Among Dead in Saudi Attack



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Reports say six western expatriates have been killed by gunmen in the city of Yanbu in Saudi Arabia.

The US embassy said it had received reports that a US citizen was among the dead. At least one Briton was feared dead, according to the British embassy.



Gunmen are said to have attacked an industrial plant in Yanbu before driving to a residential area and beginning a shooting spree.

Security forces killed three of the attackers, the Interior Ministry said.


Westerners killed in Saudi Arabia



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Gunmen opened fire Saturday at an oil refinery co-owned by Exxon Mobil and the Saudi company SABIC in northwestern Saudi Arabia, killing at least three Americans, two Britons, an Australian and a Saudi, company officials and diplomats said.

Interior Ministry officials said three attackers also were killed.

The attack killed at least three American engineers working for oil services company ABB, according to company spokesman Bjorn Edlund, based in Zurich, Switzerland.

"We have been informed that there were several casualties," he said, adding that company officials were traveling to the site to investigate.


Americans targeted in Saudi attack, suspected terrorists killed



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
RIYADH (Reuters) - Gunmen in Saudi Arabia killed two Americans among up to four Westerners shot dead in an attack in the Red Sea port of Yanbu on Saturday, Western diplomats said.

Embassies said they had received conflicting initial reports on casualties. According to unconfirmed reports, two Britons and an Australian were also killed.

"I can confirm that two Americans were killed in the incident in Yanbu this morning," a U.S. embassy spokeswoman said.


Two Americans Killed in Saudi Attack - U.S. Embassy

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Ocelot]



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
DUBAI, May 1 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia said it was determined to keep guard on the kingdom's vital oil assets after gunmen killed five Westerners on Saturday at a petrochemical complex in the Red Sea city of Yanbu.

The attack, the first to hit a Saudi oil facility, has shaken executives in the world's largest oil producer. The five engineers, two Americans, two British and an Australian, worked for Swiss-based ABB Lummus which is upgrading the petrochemical plant.

Oil operations at the Saudi Yanbu Petrochemical company (YANPET), jointly owned by U.S. Exxon Mobil (nyse: XOM - news - people) and Saudi Basic Industries Corp (SABIC) , continued as normal despite the militants' assault, officials said.


Saudi determined to protect oil facilities



posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
West Aussie in amongst them

www.abc.net.au...
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) says 57-year-old Anthony Richard Mason was killed when gunmen opened fire at oil industry company in the Red Sea town of Yanbu.



posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
RIYADH (Reuters) - A Western engineering firm said on Sunday it was evacuating all 90 foreign staff from the Saudi city of Yanbu after gunmen shot dead five of their colleagues.

The U.S. embassy urged Americans to leave the kingdom.

There was no immediate indication if the latest attack would prompt an exodus among the 35,000 Americans -- a move that could badly damage the economy of the world's biggest oil exporter.

Saudi Arabia has been battling a year-long insurgency by supporters of Saudi-born Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network. Saturday's attack, the first against a vital economic facility, suggested militants were determined to act on threats to destabilize the kingdom and force Westerners out.


Western Firm Pulls Staff from Yanbu; U.S. Cautions




top topics



 
0

log in

join