It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans really so ignorant they need the government to baby sit them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Do people really want freedom or have they become so ignorant they need the government to baby sit them?
If there was a state that offered these freedoms would you move there? Do we really need to have this Democrat/ Republican division or are people adult enough to able to come together to govern themselves? What would you ad to the list?

In this state the law will be...

If you don't want a gun don't own one, but don't take mine.
If you don't want an abortion don't have one, let me answer to my God only, should I choose to have one.

You will also have the right to...

The right to protect YOUR property by WHATEVER means you deem necessary
The right to marry if your gay
The right to celebrate CHRISTMAS
The right to decide if you choose to allow smoking in your establishment
The right to assisted suicide
The right to choose whether to wear a helmet or a seat belt
The right to home school your children or not to send them to school at all if you so choose
The right to spank your children - No government agency will be allowed to remove your children for any reason.
The right to pray or not to pray at school and sporting events.
The right to let your property fall into disrepair if you so choose.
The same flat tax rate for rich or for poor.
The right to vote on where your tax dollars are spent.
The right to be represented by an all volunteer government with term limits. Accepting payment from any special interests will be a felony. Lobbying of any kind will be a felony.
No warrant less searches, no spying on US Citizens.

EDIT to add from Idyserenity

The right to DECIDE if you want car insurance or not...but then if you have an accident to take responsibility yourself, if you are at fault.
The right to decide if you want to put your income into SS or to put it in a bank/ira/stock to save for your retirement.
The right to decide if you want to put your income in a welfare system or to put it away yourself to be used if needed later/ie. lay offs or getting cut from work...etc.
How about the right for fishing and gaming as long as one does not take more than they need to survive without paying umpteen amounts of $$$ for stinking permits?

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you know of a place by all means tell me. I would move there in a heart beat. I feel that this would never be possible as some people are just the type that are dependant on others.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
hahaha i wish i had that kind of freedom also

but sitting around griping about it doesnt really solve any problems ...

action speaks louder than words

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Watch the movie "Idiocracy" and you tell me.

Thats exactly where we are going folks!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Sign me up. Okay so where is this mythical place at? It kind of sounds like what this other country is supposed to be, I think it is called America or USA or something like that.

Seriously though, I would move there in a heart beat.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

You know what's ironic? The mythical country you described sounds a lot like MEXICO except for the last 3 you mentioned.

If I could make a decent living in Mexico it would be "hasta la vista" for old whaaa. A lot of my well off friends spend a lot of time there in condos they own free and clear.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
No government agency will be allowed to remove your children for any reason.

This is the only part that I have a problem with at a glance. There are definitely reasons for children to be removed from the home. Child abuse (whether physical, sexual, or emotional/mental) and dangerous living conditions are valid reasons for a child to be taken away from the parents. There is a difference between a spanking and a beating, but once you cross the line over into abusing your child instead of disciplining them it's time for someone to step in and stop you.

I'm not trying to change the topic, just stating why I disagree with this line. Other than that, your list sounds good to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
In a word, yes.

Seems like more and more people are crying to Big Daddy Government for all sorts of handouts. You name it, they'll claim special status and wait for the dough to roll in.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Watch the movie "Idiocracy" and you tell me.

I mentioned this movie in another thread 2 days ago and i'm seeing it pop up in a few threads by others. It's just like the movie! (which is quite good btw)

Everyone is so dumbed down.

"It has electrolytes."

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hi freedom fans.

. . .have they become so ignorant they need the government to baby sit them?

YES ! First, look at the TV programs rating, and the % of stupids looking at that !
Any ** mind elevating/expanding ** in the first ones ???

The right to choose whether to wear . . . a seat belt

NO, because the stupids who will have an accident, and not be killed,
will cust MY/OUR MONEY to cure them. If they are dead, NICE ! We can register
them to the "Darwin awards" web site ! ! B-)

That's totaly childish, and a lack of respect to neighbourS ! !

The other **The right to** are fine. . . B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You're right it does sound a lot like Mexico, I live there and travel all over Central America (my job.) The whole of Mexico is a lot different than the border regions that most people see. People on average are willing to work hard for an honest days pay and neighbors take care of neighbors. They don't expect or want the government to step in. In Mexico people would rather check themselves to see if a bench has wet paint than have the government raise taxes to put up a wet paint sign.

Why couldn't this same system work in the states in a state where the people demanded and expected this along with the last three items mentioned of course.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
THIS is what I mean by a return to true constitutional freedom! A S&F!

Freedom does NOT mean you can do or say whatever you want as long as you are not hurting, or hindering anyone else and so can everyone else, as long as what he or she does or says does not offend you.

Freedom does NOT mean the government steps in to alleviate the consequences of your own stupidity.

Freedom means the freedom to fail or succeed through your own efforts, or lack thereof.

Freedom means no more wet nurse big Fed nanny, just sweat, original thought and effort.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by SGTChas]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Do people really want freedom or have they become so ignorant they need the government to baby sit them?
If there was a state that offered these freedoms would you move there? Do we really need to have this Democrat/ Republican division or are people adult enough to able to come together to govern themselves? What would you ad to the list?

In this state the law will be...

If you don't want a gun don't own one, but don't take mine.
If you don't want an abortion don't have one, let me answer to my God only, should I choose to have one.

You will also have the right to...

The right to protect YOUR property by WHATEVER means you deem necessary
The right to marry if your gay
The right to celebrate CHRISTMAS
The right to decide if you choose to allow smoking in your establishment
The right to assisted suicide
The right to choose whether to wear a helmet or a seat belt
The right to home school your children or not to send them to school at all if you so choose
The right to spank your children - No government agency will be allowed to remove your children for any reason.
The right to pray or not to pray at school and sporting events.
The same flat tax rate for rich or for poor.
The right to vote on where your tax dollars are spent.
The right to be represented by an all volunteer government with term limits. Accepting payment from any special interests will be a felony. Lobbying of any kind will be a felony.
No warrant less searches, no spying on US Citizens.

I thought this thread was going to tick me off... but I read it and now I agree all very good points I'll S&F~!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You said you didn't believe that people should be alowed to let their property fall into disrepair because

That's totally childish, and a lack of respect to neighbourS ! !
reply to post by C-JEAN

I believe it's disrespectful also. however I also believe that water seeks its own level and that most people paying for clean homes in clean neighborhoods won't be dealing with this issue. I also believe that when you stop all the handouts and people get back into the swing of working for what they have, they'll have a lot more pride in the things they own. At least that's been my experience from what I've seen in countries where EVERYONE works for a days pay.

You believe that people should be forced to wear a seat belt so it doesn't cost you money. I believe that we have to give and take equally. The whole point of this post is to see if people really do want freedom not just for themselves but for everyone else as well. To see if we could find common ground and govern ourselves or if we're truly as divided as the government says we are.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
And I would like to add:
The right to DECIDE if you want car insurance or not...but then if you have an accident to take responsibility yourself, if you are at fault.
The right to decide if you want to put your income into SS or to put it in a bank/ira/stock to save for your retirement.
The right to decide if you want to put your income in a welfare system or to put it away yourself to be used if needed later/ie. lay offs or getting cut from work...etc.
How about the right for fishing and gaming as long as one does not take more than they need to survive without paying upteen amounts of $$$ for stinking permits?
Ok thats my $.02.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have "ghosted" my way through ATS for a very long time. The amount of PAID DISINFORMATION SHILLS roaming have kept me from posting; until now.

I feel proud to be from the 'states' after seeing the reader's responses to this. I feel that any of the PAID DISINFO. SHILLS would have a hard time convincing you guys we all need are butts wiped here...... Not to say they wouldn't try; they are paid after all.

I do speak from experience regarding Mexico, Guatemala, and many other Central American Countries; as I've lived in most. Our freedoms in the 'states' have eroded to the point that these 3rd world countries do have more overall freedom.

I'm willing to stand with the next person to in order to take back OUR country, and possibly have what we all remember from decades ago....FREEDOM.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Thanks for the additions. I added to them to the post. Utah used to give you the option of not carrying auto insurance if you chose not to. I'm not sure if that's still the case but another poster said that they had the lowest insurance rates in the country because of this.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Sadly, some people do.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

No government agency will be allowed to remove your children for any reason.

This is the only part that I have a problem with at a glance. There are definitely reasons for children to be removed from the home. Child abuse (whether physical, sexual, or emotional/mental) and dangerous living conditions are valid reasons for a child to be taken away from the parents. There is a difference between a spanking and a beating, but once you cross the line over into abusing your child instead of disciplining them it's time for someone to step in and stop you.

I'm not trying to change the topic, just stating why I disagree with this line. Other than that, your list sounds good to me.

yeah that's a very valid point, but with the option being open for abortion, well some of those numbers of abuse would be greatly reduced I think. Also it used to be a more extended family living situation long ago, which kept abuse down to a minimum, with the rest of the extended family helping in the burden of raising children and also getting psychological help for abusers and such. I think a lot of cases are a direct result of the living situation in America now. Poverty, less education(prenatal, childcare,etc), More stress, more drugs, less family involvement(Ie grandparents etc) The list goes on and on. I mean the family Of Susan Smith could see that she was unstable, but they didn't want to intervene, hell, they didn't want to even call dcf on her, to have them intervene. This is a lot of the cause.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

All of your points could become a reality only if states actually had rights that the fed govt could not over-rule as they do now. If that was the case, I would move to the state that was right for me, as long as it's not Alaska. Too damn cold up there and I have no respect for the people of a state whose majority thinks Palin is intelligent in any manner and is fit to be in charge of anything. Whatever happened to state's rights and the fed not interfering?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join