It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you carry an EDC bag?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sourdiesel

I have a katayne also and I love it too.It fits easily in one of the pouches in my pack and is great to fill up the 1 litre water bottle that I carry attached to my bag. I am going to buy an extra filter for it soon just in case.
They also make a waterbottle with the filtration device in the cap. So you can literally fill up the bottle in the river,screw the cap on and drink away. Not much use if all you can find is a puddle though. Which is why I insist on having both.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I copied a how to online for the blue ray devices but substituted the blue ray laser diode for the IR unit.

It is very eye dangerous so I do not recommend it. One accidental reflected beam in the eye and that retina is toast. I have it for several reasons.

The first being as an anti sniper device. At 500 yards the beam diameter is about 3 feet and it is still blinding so if you are scoped you find cover then point this at the muzzle flash and squeeze off a few seconds burst sweeping the area of the flash and then move out.

The second is as a fire starter. It is very effective at lighting tinder. It you have a enemy chopper on you same thing.

It will fry a CCD imager in a second or less if it is not IR shielded so it is an anti-camera device.

As you can see it has its combat survival uses.

I guess anyone who is a veteran and has a combat arms MOS background likely keeps a bug out pack. My specialty was 11C and I was cross trained as 96B when I got back to the states and they had a shortage at the battalion level. Battalion intelligence was such a sham job I almost stayed in the military. I loved that job.

I should also mention that I like to keep all of my training manuals and survival books on a micro-SD card stashed in my pack. You never know when you will need to refresh your memory on some important skill.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by UFOTECH]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

thanks for the info. Any idea as to how well this might work against night vision?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Night vision devices of the generation 2 it will knock it off line and can damage it. The newer 3rd generation devices have IR laser shielding technology now. Sorry it will not knock it out.

It also shows up like a search light under night vision so it can actually get you spotted. A direct hit on the sensor will cause the system to reset which gives you a moment to escape.

Against a scope used by a sniper in the day time it will blind the sniper very quickly.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If someone wants to build one of these very eye dangerous IR laser devices they can find a instructable for the blue ray laser pointers and substitute the blue ray for the 1 watt IR unit.

The info is here: IR Laser Pointer Thread

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

With the new memory card technology it could not hurt to carry one with you that would have any necessary info that you might need. Considering the size, a postage stamp, you really cannot go wrong. You never know when that info may come available and perhaps save your life.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
How to clean water with (water)snow, a rock, fire and a plastic bag:

Start Fire
Dig a hole a few inches in the ground
Lay plastic bag over the hole
Put water or snow in hole
Put a rock into the fire, heat it up
Grab 2 sturdy sticks
Fish the rock out
Place rock partially in the water, yes it will be covered in carbon soot, deal with it you need water
Let it steam and boil, don't melt the bag
Repeat 3-4 times
Strain water through clean cloth or sock to remove the carbon
Drink

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sourdiesel

Good post. I may well do a thread on obtaining water. Many people don't know that old boy scout trick of boiling water in a plastic bag, or even a styrofoam cup.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
I copied a how to online for the blue ray devices but substituted the blue ray laser diode for the IR unit.

It is very eye dangerous so I do not recommend it. One accidental reflected beam in the eye and that retina is toast. I have it for several reasons.

The first being as an anti sniper device. At 500 yards the beam diameter is about 3 feet and it is still blinding so if you are scoped you find cover then point this at the muzzle flash and squeeze off a few seconds burst sweeping the area of the flash and then move out.

The second is as a fire starter. It is very effective at lighting tinder. It you have a enemy chopper on you same thing.

It will fry a CCD imager in a second or less if it is not IR shielded so it is an anti-camera device.

As you can see it has its combat survival uses.

I guess anyone who is a veteran and has a combat arms MOS background likely keeps a bug out pack. My specialty was 11C and I was cross trained as 96B when I got back to the states and they had a shortage at the battalion level. Battalion intelligence was such a sham job I almost stayed in the military. I loved that job.

I should also mention that I like to keep all of my training manuals and survival books on a micro-SD card stashed in my pack. You never know when you will need to refresh your memory on some important skill.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by UFOTECH]

About your "training manuals and survival books on a micro-SD card", is it possible for you to kindly share some files with us?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I have to admit that I don't carry an EDC bag with me, by job's security would not allow me to carry 99 percent of it into work with me. It has reminded me to keep a kit in the car, but even then I have to be careful with parking at work. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

Have you ever seen "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" The part where Max enters the city and must check his weapons? Sometimes I appear that way. I had to go through a security check to get into a govt. building during work. They checked my knife, leatherman tool, pocket screwdriver, writing pen, extendable magnet, pocket flashlight, and four inch crescent wrench. I laughed and told them I was a Middleaged Mutant Ninja Mechanic. I then asked if they wanted my shoestrings, rolled papers and belt. For some reason they didn't have a sense of humor.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Me too pawn! The scariest thing is when they miss something and you forgot about it too! I once carried my 380 onto an airplane to vegas in my carry on. I didn't even know about it until I was unpacking at the hotel, I had meant to put it in the checked luggage!

I also offered my pocket knife to someone inside the courthouse once, and they couldn't believe it! I didn't know I was supposed to check it, and the guy at the detector saw my belt and boots and waived me on through!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
many people think that a bob requires a lot of different items. I believe in minimalization. Most of what I edc has more than one purpose. I see no reason to carry anything that cannot be used that way. Short of maybe a firearm. After a while you do begin to feel naked without it.

It becomes comical after awhile as others begin to realize that I can do most anything with what is in my little bag. To me my bag ideology is similar to my knife ideology. The best one to carry is the one you have with you all the time. It must become a part of you. This is hard to do if you carry everything but the kitchen sink.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Everyday carry. Do you have one? If so what is in it? If not why not? Let's explore mine and I will answer any questions that you might have.

1. small non-descript brown backpack. Actually a Kifaru E&E

2. seatosummit silite poncho

3. Chris Reeves fixed blade w/ fishing hooks and firesteel inside

4. stainless steel sierra cup

5. Camelback resevoir

6. black bandana

7. 100ft 550 parachute cord

8.sunglasses

9. spork

10. small am/fm radio and headphones

11. baseball hat

12. leatherman tool

13. duct tape wrapped around old gift card

14. 20ft mechanics wire

15. streamlight flashlight

16. lockpick set

17. bic lighter

18. emergency space blanket

19. 4" crescent wrench

20. 2- 1gal ziplock bags

21. 2- 55 gal trashbags

22.first aid kit includes sewing kit

23. dental floss

24. fire piston

25waterproof New Testament

26. snacks peanuts and hard candy

27. occasionally a Glock 19 with three mags

This bag goes with me all the time. If it is not on my person in it close at hand. I feel it can help me to get out of most situations urban or rural. Yes there is no compass in here but I don't really want to go there unless people insist.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

very nice kit... mine is pretty close to the same thing you have.... with copies of ID and important papers and a small amount of currency that will be needed.... 2 gold coins ....

and mine is always in the pickup.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

What many people do not comprehend is just how small a package this really is. The pack is smaller than most daypacks or bookpacks, yet even with what I carry there is still room for other items that can be swapped out for conditional carry. There is more than enough room for a fleece jacket if desired. Being so non-descript it goes from work to soccer games to shopping malls without a glance.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Never leave home without it.
Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack

3 watt LED min maglite
leatherman wave
mini bic lighter
cold steel sharkie wrapped with 10 ft. of duck tape
roughly 15 ft. hank of paracord
Homemade folding mini hack saw made from a Milwaukee torch recip. blade
pico widgy bar
2 nite ize mini figure 9 biners
compact first aid kit
2 epi pens
2 packs of quick clot
water proof note pad "rite in the Rain"
springfield xd 9mm occassionally
mylar emergency blanket
small dust mask
bandanna
small assortment of zip ties
SOG twitch in my pocket
fisher space pen
Schrade tactical defense pen carried in my strong side back pocket.

That's usually about it depending on where I am heading. It all packs away neatly and leaves me extra room to carry a water or soda bottle and gives me room to stow an old packable gore tex parka.

The versipack offers multiple lashing points on the exterior for attaching a variety of additional pouches with malice clips.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Nice kit, and innocuous as well. I am sure that more people actually carry such items without people actually knowing about them. Mine has come in handy many times over. I have gone from being a guy with a "man purse" to the guy that has what it takes to get the job done. To me I would be lost without it.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Got my EDC right here:

Just added a pouch for the mobile phone to go in.

Lighter
Paracord
Card wrapped in gaffer tape
Electrolight
Decoy wallet
Tourniquet strap
Smart card tool
Wind-up torch
Firelighting kit (waterproof matches and striker)
First aid kit
Disposable pocket mask

[edit on 19-10-2009 by WatchRider]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join