It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I believe that everyone at one time or another has thought about what it would take for one of our own craft to travel at the speed of light. Probably just have many have wondered how advanced an alien civilization would have to be to traverse the galaxy or universe to make it to Earth.

The questions are no doubt some of the hardest to answer in the history of intelligent thought. With that in mind, I am not going to try and answer them, I am only going to give an idea that I had about the topic.

I was sitting in my backyard, sometime ago, enjoying the day. As often happens to me, my mind started wondering. I started to think about a Jay and Silent Bob movie - "Strikes Back" - when I thought about the scene where the in-line skate hockey players are on the bridge after the 13th Apostle falls from the heavens, naked.

One of the skaters takes his stick and uses it to cut a slit in reality. They proceed to hop through the slit and into another dimension.

What would it take to cut a slit in space/time? I think it could be a black hole.

I promise, this is going somewhere. If a craft were to travel at the speed of light or faster it would need an infinite supply of energy as it approaches the speed of light, because the closer it gets to the speed it gains an infinite amount of mass.

To circumvent the infinite mass/infinite propulsion problem the craft would have to be taken out of the general laws that dictate how an object acts.

If the characteristics of a black hole were re-created and somehow put under control it would definitely be out of the traditional laws. I imagine that an area immediately surrounding the craft would have to be completely detached from from the area it occupies, a black hole may supply this possibility.

An alternating field magnetic propulsion system would be able to oppose any magnetic field that is encountered. This could work with a computer that is fast enough to deliver information about the minute changes in the magnetic field surrounding the craft, if the magnetic drive can shift poles fast enough the craft would be able to travel at infinite speeds.

With computers becoming more and more powerful a computer that is unimaginable today could be reality in the future. Coupled with more and more powerful telescopes, mapping the universe will surely become mundane.

Armed with a craft that is effectively unconnected with it's surrounding, an accurate map of the universe that utilizes intersecting points, a computer fast enough to keep pace with the ever changing magnetic fields in the universe, and a magnetic drive system fast enough to keep up with the changing areas around the craft travel would be incredible.

Because the craft is literally detached from the surrounding environment conditions in the craft would remain the same at all times, just like sitting in place.

The destination co-ordinates of the desired location could be entered and the universe would seem to be moved around the craft.

A big IF is; can the power of a black hole give the desired effects? A when, not if, is; when will a computer's thoughts be fast enough to keep up with the desired speeds?

I don't know much about this stuff, I was just throwing it out there to get your ideas about this.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
good point but you could also deal with futurama or event horizen they sort of deal with the engine your talking about. But unless ufo's are using these or speed of light engines theres no way other that i could think of that they could get here from a different part of the galaxy.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. rock

I've not seen Event Horizon in years, is it the one where their realities keep changing, like the wife keeps coming back to life? George Clooney I think?

Anyway, I don't see anyway to go as fast or faster than the speed of light other than taking the craft out of reality as we know it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
That is an entertaining hypothesis, but
mine would be more on the line of frequency of light, sound, merging, synchronising at specific range. The range?

That's the hole in my theory, yours is black., I

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

I've thought a bit about that as well, the problem I encountered with this is the frequency attainable by solid objects is affected in sound and sound doesn't travel in space, so we're told.

A higher frequency resonating through the craft i a light form would be awesom and would surely allow some amazing things to happen. I just wonder if a frequency is changed too much, can it be changed back without permanent damage?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
wormholes in all their mystery could be the key to interstellar travel.
i don't think its possible to just creat a stable wormhole as stargate shows it, i think farscape was more on the money with that one.
light speed sounds good if we could master anti gravity and then the propulsion.
but then theres dust particles, astroids etc all colliding with the craft at light speed so we also need and indestructable mineral but that would be imposible to process. energy sheilds are a little to startrek but thereticaly possible.
the best solution for colonization is a massive space barge with a large population to atempt to set up something in our own solar system for more resorce collecting and deep space research.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

I have heard a little about the idea of a generation ship. It is theoretically possible and probably easier than what I amproposing. The only problem would be having enough resources to construct a massive facility in outerspace.

If it were contructed in our gravitational field it would be nearly impossible to get off the ground, unless some form of acoustic levitation is used.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This is what the OP is talking about

en.wikipedia.org...

I also have the same thought about duplicating the conditions around a black hole artificially... Makes me wonder if you have previously read my similar thread!

Actually if we could generate 'gravity without mass', and be able to project and control it around the craft, that will serve both as an FTL warp drive and a propulsion system at the same time.

It has immense advantage if used as propulsion system, since the craft is accelerating towards the artificial gravity well, the occupants shouldn't feel any g-forces at all even if the craft is accelerating at ridiculous rates..

Energy isn't a problem anywhere, if we could figure out how the virtual particles/waves work via Quantum Mechanics and by Quantum Mechanics, figure out how to extract energy from them, but their randomness makes it a huge puzzle to solve but I think isn't impossible!

[edit on 1-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

No, I haven't read your thread. What's the thread titled?

So many people haing similiar thoughts we can't b too many steps away from achieving this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
we need a space platform near earth to build it in 0g. mabye the space elevator should get out of peoples head and get built already.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
e=mc2

therefore, you should be able to affect gravity with mass OR energy

since they are both the same thing

i've also considered what it would take to rip space/time, first idea is gravity since it can bend the fabric around a planet to make a gravity well...

considering the most powerfull gravity we know of is a blackhole, even these don't rip space/time.. so what force of gravity would it take.. thats kindof.. i dont know.. a big thing to overcome.. i cant see putting out more gravity than a blackhole

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Mark 9:23: If thou canst believe, ALL things are possible to him that believes.

There has to be a way to rip the fabric and get to the other side. What's on the other side could be a big problem, since it isn't known.

I know there is probably another way to reach the speeds required for inter-stellar travel. Some believe that the UFO that are spotted doing incredible speeds must be using some type of gravity drive system. Utilizing the gravity pull to created energy in the oppostie direction.

This sounds like it could work and might be easier than trying to harness the power of a black hole. The only problem I could see is when in the vacuum of space, doesn't gravity cease to exist in complete voids?

new topics

top topics

join