It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Lies : Memos don't show what Cheney says they do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Levin: Memos don't show what Cheney says they do..

Levin, speaking at the Foreign Policy Association's annual dinner in Washington on Wednesday, said an investigation by his committee into detainee abuse charges over the use of the techniques -- now deemed torture by the Obama administration -- "gives the lie to Mr. Cheney's claims."

CNN Source

The Michigan Democrat told the crowd that the two CIA documents that Cheney wants released "say nothing about numbers of lives saved, nor do the documents connect acquisition of valuable intelligence to the use of abusive techniques."

'' Cheney, who has become a vocal public defender of the Bush administration's controversial interrogation policies, had asked the Obama administration to declassify the documents so there can be a more "honest debate" on the Bush administration's decision to use them on suspected terrorists.

He argued that those techniques provided valuable intelligence that saved American lives, but critics say they amounted to the illegal torture of prisoners in U.S. custody

On May 14, the CIA rejected the former vice president's request.

CIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano, in a written statement, said the two documents Cheney requested are the subject of two pending lawsuits seeking the release of documents related to the interrogation program, and cannot be declassified.

A former State Department official has told CNN that the main purpose of the Bush-era interrogations was finding a link between Iraq and al Qaeda.

Lawrence Wilkerson, chief of staff for then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, said that the interrogation program began in April and May of 2002, and Cheney's office kept close tabs on the questioning.

"Its principal priority for intelligence was not aimed at preempting another terrorist attack on the U.S. but discovering a smoking gun linking Iraq and al Qaeda," Wilkerson wrote in The Washington Note, an online political journal.

Wilkerson, a retired Army colonel, said his accusation is based on information from current and former officials. He said he has been "relentlessly digging" since 2004, when Powell asked him to look into the scandal surrounding the treatment of prisoners at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison. ''

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Dick Cheney lied!!!!

Theres no way he would do that.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't want he said she said. People lie.

Release the memos.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If they don't prove Cheney right than why not release them? This transparency pledge of Obama's is not exactly panning out.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I'm adding this 'List of Lies'. I call it LoL ..

Top Ten Cheney Lies

It is from 2004, so you can prolly add a few more lies to the list..

October 6, 2004 SEND THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND
ALERT ARCHIVES

From the Democratic National Committee:

LIE # 1: I Have Never Met Edwards Before

"Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight." [Dick Cheney, Vice Presidential Debate, 10/5/04]

FACT: Cheney Had Met Edwards on At Least Three Prior Occasions

"On Feb. 1, 2001, the vice president thanked Edwards by name at a Senate prayer breakfast and sat beside him during the event." [AP, 10/6/04]

"On April 8, 2001, Cheney and Edwards shook hands when they met off-camera during a taping of NBC's �Meet the Press,� moderator Tim Russert said Wednesday on �Today.�" [AP, 10/6/04]

"On Jan. 8, 2003, the two met when the first-term North Carolina senator accompanied Elizabeth Dole to her swearing-in by Cheney as a North Carolina senator." [AP, 10/6/04]

FACT: In Four Years, Cheney Presided Over the Senate TWICE

Source: The Congressional Record

LIE # 2: Cheney Claimed He Had Never Linked Iraq and 9/11

"I have not suggested there�s a connection between Iraq and 9/11." [Dick Cheney, Vice Presidential Debate, 10/5/04]

Bush Made The Same Argument in the First Presidential Debate. "Q: Does the Iraq experience make it more likely or less likely that you would take the United States in to another preemptive military action? BUSH: I would hope I never have to. I understand how hard it is to commit troops. Never wanted to commit troops. When I was running -- when we had the debate in 2000, never dreamt I'd be doing that. But the enemy attacked us, Jim, and I have a solemn duty to protect the American people, to do everything I can to protect us." [George Bush, First Presidential Debate, 9/30/04]

FACT: Cheney Has Repeatedly Made This Claim

Question: "The Washington Post asked the American people about Saddam Hussein, and this is what they said: 69 percent said he was involved in the September 11 attacks. Are you surprised by that?"

Cheney: No. I think it's not surprising that people make that connection." [NBC, Meet the Press, 11/14/03]

Cheney: "If we�re successful in Iraq, if we can stand up a good representative government in Iraq, that secures the region so that it never again becomes a threat to its neighbors or to the United States, so it�s not pursuing weapons of mass destruction, so that it�s not a safe haven for terrorists, now we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11." [NBC, "Meet The Press," 9/14/03, emphasis added]

[edit on 30-5-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

cheney the dick wouldn't know the truth if it came up and shot him in the face.

so mister undisclosed location... where are those WMD in Iraq?

so mister undisclosed location... where is the indisputable proof?

so mister undisclosed location... where is the mushroom cloud?

WRONG on all of those and so much more... and still people claim he's credible only because he sounds so sure.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
IMHO all these facts that have come to light and the monkey circus lately about the torture aganda and the inflamed terrible photos have one thing in common!

A former State Department official has told CNN that the main purpose of the Bush-era interrogations was finding a link between Iraq and al Qaeda.

This was the main priority for Mr. Dick during all these years!

The PNAC people know they have made fools of themselves infront of the whole of the world's intellectual elit (CRF, Bilderberg Group etc) because of their lack of success of PNAC, and since it's common knowledge and has been proved with signed documentation that they lied to the whole world to get support for the PNAC implementation.

The first one to realize and recognize his mistake to the world was Richard Perle, he admitted what many knew already and Mr. Dick started to feel the heat under his feets.

His life long political reputation and honour were suddenly on the brink of collapse, he needed to prove to the Intellectual elit, a link between AQ and Iraq or he knew that the the further implementation of PNAC would be down the drain.

You see! without the support of the western allies and the intellectual elit - PNAC would be impossible to implement in the Middle East.

PNAC is now a completely dead fish! - It was a such big task for these incompetent liars to implement, and because it was soo big, it was also over their heads! - so they failed miserably!

Fast forward to today!

Now we have come to a point in time, where even the daughter Liz, of said War-criminal is out on a promotion tour, trying to save her fathers sorry a$$ for War-profiteering and War-crimes against the humanity!

Mr. Dick knows how deep in the crap he really is, therefore we see these poor desperate attempt in MSM trying to gain some sort of support from the public.

That is how low on the human scale this former mighty man have become!

He's so damn scared and worried, so he pledges for support from the public with a MSM media promotion tour that he have to pay for himself!

The world's intellectual elit are looking the other way, ignoring him as yesterday news! - an outdated piece of crap in the dustbin!

They are looking at Obama! their new racing horse! and all bets are on him to succeed!

Since the other camp lost their attempt to shape the world after the PNAC model -The new USA will probably be shaped after an EUROPEAN model!

(This is only my conclusion and my opinion after analysing the known documented facts from the failed PNAC adventure!)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Then release them.

They will release the ones that paint us in a bad light. Why not release what he is asking for and if he is lying then we will know.

Prove that he is lying about this.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well we will have to read them first to make that determinations, now wont we?

top topics

join