It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Embassy to Hold First-Ever Gay Pride Party Tonight - In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

U.S. Embassy to Hold First-Ever Gay Pride Party Tonight - In Iraq

rightwingnews.com

In the May 22, 2009 edition of The Washington Post, columnist Al Kamen wrote a piece entitled, "For One Night, Baghdad Gets a Pink Zone." He revealed that the State Department is "holding what the invitation says is the first-ever U.S. Embassy Gay Pride Theme Party next Friday at Bagdaddy's, which is the embassy employee association's pub." The invitation, which was sent out on May 10, encouraged everyone to, "Dress in drag or as a gay icon."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm not sure what to say about this one... My jaw hit the floor when I read the title of the article. Not because of issues with gay people, but the fact it's in Baghdad of all places.

Let's hope they have extra security for the party, because if certain people get their hands on this info the party guest might be flaming in more than one way.

To Mods: Move as you see fit.

rightwingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hey Tentickles,

I've seen heaps of your posts and you've got my respect. But this has to be a joke?

If not...

My God, they're operating on a whole different level then the rest of the country...

Words fail me.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I believe that multi cutluralism is a disgusting pseudo marxist concept and should not be applied in the west- ie immigrants should integrate.

I have to be consistent and apply that to other places, and I think it is a gross insult to the local culture to promote this

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
What a really great idea, and well thought out.

Bull meet red rag, red rag meet bull.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Homosexuality is more prevalent in Iraq than it is in the US. I’ve never seen more same sex partners holding hands and displaying affection publicly in my life. I thought all of the males were just really friendly. That was until I was told that “habibi” meant a little more than just dear friend. It was like living the “Night at the Roxbury”…”Habibi? You?...Me?...Him?...Me!...HABIBI!!!...” It blows your mind.

Believe me when I say…it is not US who are influencing THEM in this regard. They are doing doing fine in this regard without our help.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lumpyloaf
Homosexuality is more prevalent in Iraq than it is in the US. I’ve never seen more same sex partners holding hands and displaying affection publicly in my life. I thought all of the males were just really friendly. That was until I was told that “habibi” meant a little more than just dear friend. It was like living the “Night at the Roxbury”…”Habibi? You?...Me?...Him?...Me!...HABIBI!!!...” It blows your mind.

Believe me when I say…it is not US who are influencing THEM in this regard. They are doing doing fine in this regard without our help.

yeah right lumpy, you go out and open up a "GAY PRIDE" shop in Baghdad and watch you get promoted straight to the next life

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lumpyloaf

You are incorrect
That is not homosexuality that you are referring to
that is friendship

this is quite common in the middle east and even in India

guy friends hold hands all the time in the east
it is extremely common

yes they say habibi and they even say they love each other
at the same time they would die before putting their lips on another man's lips

they put ALOT of importace on friendship over there
it's almost culture shock to see it right before your eyes.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lumpyloaf Homosexuality is more prevalent in Iraq than it is in the US. I’ve never seen more same sex partners holding hands and displaying affection publicly in my life. I thought all of the males were just really friendly. That was until I was told that “habibi” meant a little more than just dear friend. It was like living the “Night at the Roxbury”…”Habibi? You?...Me?...Him?...Me!...HABIBI!!!...” It blows your mind. Believe me when I say…it is not US who are influencing THEM in this regard. They are doing doing fine in this regard without our help.

yeah right lumpy, you go out and open up a "GAY PRIDE" shop in Baghdad and watch you get promoted straight to the next life

I agree with both of you. It's just a shame the Iraqi people didn't do it, but the US invading forces.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If this is really happening and on any profile scale, it could turn out to be very important in terms of US perception in the region. The timing makes me wonder, because it's just the kind of thing that could cause a huge Muslim press backlash and Anti-American rioting worldwide.

For those who aren't fully aware, homosexuality is a major hush-hush issue in the Middle East. Forbidden by the Koran, no one has calculated accurately how widespread it is. Many feel it's much greater in the Middle East than any other part of the world.

Much can be imputed by the Muslim stated preferences for young boys over women. By Sharia law a man of means can have as many as four wives and any number of mistresses. Just do the math.

Iran's top dog has declared there is no homosexuality in the entire country. Anyone who has lived there just snickers. One already wonders, with implicit American sanctioning, it could turn out to be a major PR coup - embracing a cornerstone of Western freedoms and tolerance.

At the very least the Iranian Ayatollahs and their little man in the tight jacket will be driven nuts by it.

Mike

[edit on 29-5-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I support this but must beheld in the safe zone

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I know that I most likely have a biased and limited view of what I saw. But, I am not homophobic. That being said, the level of "affection" Iraqi males displayed to their "friends” is not what I’m accustomed to here in the US. You may very well be correct in that I misinterpreted some of their relationships. I’m not saying they are right or wrong. I try not to judge. It is very humorous at times though.

At one time I also though that “habibi” only mean great friend or good friend. However, my interpreter was the one who explained to me what they really meant when they expressed it to me. Who was I to denounce Iraqi customs and culture explained to me by an Iraqi?

If I reacted inappropriately from inaccurate information, I apologize.

All in all, from what I've seen, this news does not really surprise me.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lumpyloaf

Could you explain habibi to us?
I am very interested.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Did they invite this guy?

By the way, the cake or death thing is something the US military should be looking into when dealing with insurgents and terrorists.

join