It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Expects Recommendations on Government Transparency and FOIA Within 90 Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Obama Expects Recommendations on Government Transparency and FOIA Within 90 Days

www.broadcas tingcable.com

admin. is considering 1) establishing a National Declassification Center that would "bring appropriate agency officials together to perform collaborative declassification review under the administration of the Archivist of the United States"; 2) possibly restoring the presumption against classification, thereby "preclud[ing] classification of information where there is significant doubt about the need for such classification," as well as increasing accountability for the decision to classify.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.broadcastingcable.com

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
On the post below you will find a full copy of the Obama FOIA memo.

Obviously this isn't an executive order but merely a call for to the attorney general to come up with new recommended guidelines for classification and disclosure.

We shall see ...

Most of us are understandably suspicious and cynical about the potential for a significant shift in governmental secrecy policy, yet in this memo there is a glimmer of hope that some long sought documents might soon become available to the public for review.

Time will tell ...

www.broadcas tingcable.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Full memo:

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

SUBJECT: Freedom of Information Act

A democracy requires accountability, and accountability requires transparency. As Justice Louis Brandeis wrote, "sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants." In our democracy, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), which encourages accountability through transparency, is the most prominent expression of a profound national commitment to ensuring an open Government. At the heart of that commitment is the idea that accountability is in the interest of the Government and the citizenry alike.

The Freedom of Information Act should be administered with a clear presumption: In the face of doubt, openness prevails. The Government should not keep information confidential merely because public officials might be embarrassed by disclosure, because errors and failures might be revealed, or because of speculative or abstract fears. Nondisclosure should never be based on an effort to protect the personal interests of Government officials at the expense of those they are supposed to serve. In responding to requests under the FOIA, executive branch agencies (agencies) should act promptly and in a spirit of cooperation, recognizing that such agencies are servants of the public.

All agencies should adopt a presumption in favor of disclosure, in order to renew their commitment to the principles embodied in FOIA, and to usher in a new era of open Government. The presumption of disclosure should be applied to all decisions involving FOIA.

The presumption of disclosure also means that agencies should take affirmative steps to make information public. They should not wait for specific requests from the public. All agencies should use modern technology to inform citizens about what is known and done by their Government. Disclosure should be timely.

I direct the Attorney General to issue new guidelines governing the FOIA to the heads of executive departments and agencies, reaffirming the commitment to accountability and transparency, and to publish such guidelines in the Federal Register. In doing so, the Attorney General should review FOIA reports produced by the agencies under Executive Order 13392 of December 14, 2005. I also direct the Director of the Office of Management and Budget to update guidance to the agencies to increase and improve information dissemination to the public, including through the use of new technologies, and to publish such guidance in the Federal Register.

This memorandum does not create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

The Director of the Office of Management and Budget is hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

BARACK OBAMA

whitehouse.gov

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
So who here thinks that they are going to release papers that are only 70% "blacked out", as opposed to 95%? It would save a fortune in "black out"?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You can say what you want about Obama but more often than not he's usually going in the right direction. I'm interested to see where this actually winds up.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
hum.. This sounds good but we all know how these agencies have been fighting FOIA for years now.I can see them making sure they have more loopholes when it comes to declassification of documents.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Usually going in the right direction? Youre joking right? I mean you have been watching whats going on in the world with losing our rights, making businesses government owned, making the private sectors non existent, release gitmo detainees without any real plan, driving the american dollar down even farther by printing(literally) more money , and spending even more of it, trying to curry favor to pass bills that could make it legal for him to detain people indefinitely without reason OR proof? I could go on and on

Now he wants to pass legislation that is going to compromise classified documents and possibly national security? Just which direction do you think hes headed in to?

Im sorry but i dont think i want to put my nation deeper into the throws of death than it already is for the sake of UFO disclosure, when it will come eventually anyway.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join