It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama picks Sonia Sotomayor for SCOTUS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Why should I be the only one?

Seriously though, judges; especially supremes have a habit of changing their stripes once their on the bench. Who knows maybe she won't get confirmed. Long hope I know, but hey, stranger things have happened...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Story here

Battle lines are drawn. The White House is going with a media blitz with TV commercials and all that. They are going to ignore all her anti-Constitutional remarks as well as those sexist and racist ones. According to them ... she's wonderful.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is interesting ...

Story here

Earlier this year, President Obama's Supreme Court nominee joined an opinion with the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that Second Amendment rights do not apply to the states.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I cannot see why empathy -- the ability to understand another's point of view -- would necessarily preclude an understanding of the Constitution or the pledge to uphold it. I think a false dichotomy is being set up here.

If a white man were to say that his ability to comprehend and empathize with a minority point of view is an asset to him as a judge nobody would bat an eye. It's only when a minority and a woman says it that she's called a racist and a sexist.

I think this excerpt from her speech today is telling. I see nothing wrong in what she says:

This wealth of experiences, personal and professional, have helped me appreciate the variety of perspectives that present themselves in every case that I hear. It has helped me to understand, respect, and respond to the concerns and arguments of all litigants who appear before me, as well as to the views of my colleagues on the bench. I strive never to forget the real-world consequences of my decisions on individuals, businesses, and government.

It is a daunting feeling to be here. Eleven years ago, during my confirmation process for appointment to the Second Circuit, I was given a private tour of the White House. It was an overwhelming experience for a kid from the South Bronx. Yet never in my wildest childhood imaginings did I ever envision that moment, let alone did I ever dream that I would live this moment.

Mr. President, I greatly appreciate the honor you are giving me, and I look forward to working with the Senate in the confirmation process. I hope that as the Senate and the American people learn more about me they will see that I am an ordinary person who has been blessed with extraordinary opportunities and experiences. Today is one of those experiences.

Thank you again, sir.

My main concern about Sotomayor is her position on roe v. wade. She may well be opposed to it, which I would find worrisome.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Sotomayors membership in 'The Race' is called a 'Latino KKK' ...

Story Here

Former Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Co, lashed out at Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor Thursday for her remarks suggesting "wise Latinas" are better decision makers than white men.

Appearing on CNN, Tacredo, known mainly for his staunch opposition to giving illegal aliens amnesty and citizenship rights, talked about Sotomayor's activism on behalf of La Raza, an immigrant rights group whose name translates literally to "The Race." He called it a "a Latino KKK without the hoods or the nooses."

"Por La Raza Todo, Fuera de La Raza Nada."
"For the Race, Everything; Outside the Race, Nothing."

What La Raza says it is ...

La Raza Homepage

The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) – the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States – works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans. Through its network of nearly 300 affiliated community-based organizations (CBOs), NCLR reaches millions of Hispanics each year in 41 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. To achieve its mission, NCLR conducts applied research, policy analysis, and advocacy, providing a Latino perspective in five key areas – assets/investments, civil rights/immigration, education, employment and economic status, and health. In addition, it provides capacity-building assistance to its Affiliates who work at the state and local level to advance opportunities for individuals and families.

Founded in 1968, NCLR is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan, tax-exempt organization headquartered in Washington, DC. NCLR serves all Hispanic subgroups in all regions of the country and has operations in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The Truth About La Raza ('The Race')

The Council of La Raza succeeded in having itself added to congressional hearings by Republican House and Senate leaders. And an anonymous senator even gave the Council of La Raza an extra $4 million in earmarked taxpayer money, supposedly for "housing reform," while La Raza continues to lobby the Senate for virtual open borders and amnesty for illegal aliens - the real agenda of the La Raza movement, the agenda that led to those thousands of illegal immigrants in the streets of American cities, waving Mexican flags, brazenly defying our laws, and demanding concessions.

Key among the secondary organizations is the radical racist group Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, or Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan (MEChA), one of the most anti-American groups in the country, which has permeated U.S. campuses since the 1960s, and continues its push to carve a racist nation out of the American West.

Interesting blog with info on La Raza

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92402f304ce0.jpg[/atsimg]

1.bp.blogspot.com...

[edit on 5/29/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I cannot see why empathy -- the ability to understand another's point of view -- would necessarily preclude an understanding of the Constitution or the pledge to uphold it. I think a false dichotomy is being set up here.

If a white man were to say that his ability to comprehend and empathize with a minority point of view is an asset to him as a judge nobody would bat an eye. It's only when a minority and a woman says it that she's called a racist and a sexist.

It's when she implies that her race or gender makes her opinionmore correct that it becomes troubling.

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

If a white male had said similar, he would have been immediately branded and disqualified. Yet we are expected to ignore or overlook her statement.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Shameless BUMP!

There has been ALOT of issues taking place lately that is taking away the scrutiny on the first affirmative action Supreme Court nominee.

Contact your Senators in opposition to Sotomayor. Don't let her be seated without a fight!

[edit on 28-6-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Shameless BUMP!

I'll see your bump and raise you one more.

Sotomayor's racist decision overturned by SCOTUS

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sotomayor is easily manipulated. She may have intelligence, but her emotional weakness leaves her open to easy manipulation. Just one look at her and you know she is missing the female appeal that makes women whole and well adjusted. She will do anything for a bit of approval and any brief glimpse of acceptance. She, like other homely judges, is a dangerous long term plant to weaken America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join