It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have tamed a virus To Destroy Cancer Cells But Leave Healthy Cells Unharmed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

cientists at Oxford University have tamed a virus so that it attacks and destroys cancer cells but does not harm healthy cells. They determined how to produce replication-competent viruses with key toxicities removed, providing a new platform for development of improved cancer treatments and better vaccines for a broad range of viral diseases.

original link

This is pretty cool we are getting closer and closer to a cure.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The present study was intended mainly to explore and demonstrate the potential of this new mechanism to regulate virus activity. Although the current tumor-killing virus is useful in mice, transfer of the technology into the clinical setting will require re-engineering of the virus to overcome virus pathologies seen in humans, and it will be at least two years before this can be tested in the clinics

www.sciencedaily.com...

So it'd be two years before it can be used on humans, and what affect that may have
I'm not sure.

It didn't mention what kind of cancers, is it every cancer or just certain ones?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Awesome! I hope this is a breaktrough that will keep developing till they have something they can use!

But I wonder how it works...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

So it'd be two years before it can be used on humans,

Got to give the big pharmacological companies time to lessen the effectiveness of this new treatment and combine it with nearly lethal doses of expensive chemo-therapies which are highly profitable.

Interesting find none-the-less.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I would like to point out that this is specifically how the movie Doomsday started.

Should we be worried?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

So it'd be two years before it can be used on humans,

Got to give the big pharmacological companies time to lessen the effectiveness of this new treatment and combine it with nearly lethal doses of expensive chemo-therapies which are highly profitable.

I don't know about that cancer to me seems like the one of the diseases we're actually trying to stop. Other ones though I believe they keep around for a reason.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
yeah! we will become zombies ... just like in the will smith 's movie

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Actually, the cure for cancer was found like 5 years ago by a very brilliant man. He had all kinds of research done, had cured cancer in multiple animal species with the use of gold.

I don't remember the specifics, but it involved tagging cancer cells and then introducing a vaccine which was comprised of multiple things, but the most important being gold, which attacked only the tagged cells.

The pharmas burried it ofcourse and we will probably never hear of it again, sad but true.

There is no money in cures, only in treatment. There would be alot of people out of a job if we found cures to all of our problems. Great development none the less. Hopefully it will make a variety of new treatments that will ease the pain of having cancer.

Edit To Add: Found the thread about the gold experiment. Right HERE

Enjoy!

If anything, a streamlined, non invasive treatment is what is wanted here.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/25/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah, this is just how the movie I Am Legend started.

According to my research, an easier way to kill cancer cells is to eat foods with nitrilosides in them (Amygdalin) sugh as wheat grass or apricot kernels. Or Laetrile which is a purified source of the amygdalin molecule.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Are you talking about the old man who made the machine in his garage that targeted traces of gold that stuck to the bad cancer cells and then zapped them with radiowaves? He also figured out how to turn saltwater into fuel.

If not you should search for the video of him on youtube and check that out.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If you believe what you're saying, you better find out what he used to cure cancer -- you may have cancer some day! It would be useful information, that's all I'm saying.........

Anyways, this is indeed cool news! I wonder how long it's going to take before they tame viruses to make fat people thin? Or change eye coloring. Maybe they can tame a virus to change brain chemistry

So far this century is indeed turning out to be the age of biology.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I provided the link above to videos of both the salt water engine and the curing of cancer.

I hope everybody has a look it's a great find.

~Keeper

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The present study was intended mainly to explore and demonstrate the potential of this new mechanism to regulate virus activity. Although the current tumor-killing virus is useful in mice, transfer of the technology into the clinical setting will require re-engineering of the virus to overcome virus pathologies seen in humans, and it will be at least two years before this can be tested in the clinics

www.sciencedaily.com...

So it'd be two years before it can be used on humans, and what affect that may have
I'm not sure.

It didn't mention what kind of cancers, is it every cancer or just certain ones?

I'm sure if it works really well on some, it will at least work somewhat on other kind.

So it may be 100% effective against one kind, 70% effective against another, 20% effective against another.

I'd take that over chemo.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
yea like others said the cure for cancer is known, it is out there

but it will never be widespread,

too much money would be lost

it doesnt take much research to find many different ways that cancer can be beaten, but none of them will be available to the general public

i did a lot of learning on the topic when my father was diagnosed

what was surprising is when i bought up many of the topics i was finding to the drs, they themselves explained that things have been around for a very long time, but they dont fall into business part of medicine, and those that do still have to go thru strenuous and time consuming tests before they will ever be considered for main stream use

the general population wont have a cure for a long time

so basically then can tame all the virus's they want. it all means nothing until the tamed virus can make more money then they already make poisoning people

people make reference to zombies and stuff like that on here jokingly i imagine

but the sad/pathetic part is, when you look at it realistically, we have a more realistic chance of will smith being the last person alive in ny facing mutant hordes then we do of curing cancer

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

It is also how I Am Legend started.

I will await more information on this to submit my judgment.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
That article is out of date. They've been doing this treatment in Finland for some years already. In China they did this as far back as 1998.

docrates.fi...

That's the Finnish clinic. I have no clue about the Chinese one. It's on wikipedia thou

[edit on 28-5-2009 by rhinoceros]

top topics

join