It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pushes would-be suicide jumper off bridge because he was taking too long

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
I agree... and you are right. I do have a hatred toward the suicidal who are attention seekers.

I have no problem with people who want to go away quietly and destroy themselves. I think it is a personal decision and one which the gov should not outlaw.

Well that is a more reasonable response.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Stop putting money before human life! What if it was your relative, the selfish people are those who are only bothered about being caught in a traffic jam!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by scoopyjon

Then the relative needs to seek help somwhere other than an overpass

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
[edit on 25-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoopyjon

Stop putting money before human life! What if it was your relative, the selfish people are those who are only bothered about being caught in a traffic jam!

If it was my relative I would have done that myself.

I don't care WHO you are... the moment you start acting suicidal you no longer exist to me. Except as a landing point for my jabs.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Chill out the guy lived, the police had put the thing underneath him five hours prior to the pushing incident.

If he had the nerve to halt everyone elses lives so that he could sit up there and play like he was going to jump then he deserves a good hard wake up call and Mr. lian gave that to him.

Sometimes you gotta be rough with people to get the point across.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by caballero]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
LOL haha this chinese guy had the right idea if he knew the inflatable was there. If not that makes this man a murderer and he needs serious help. I mean i'm just sayin.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I agree if he knew the inflatable was there and the guy would not die it is not so bad but still a bit cruel!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CommandoNinjaGolfer

he knew it was there it had been there for hours before he finally pushed the guy off.

The suicide dude shouldnt have been up there holding up everyone elses life so that he could cry about some money he lost. Im sorry if you want to kill yourself over money you have way mixed up priorities so I dont have any sympathy for him.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoopyjon

If my relative took 5 hours to attempt to kill himself, I would push him off my self.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Oh thanks for clearing that up for me i didn't quite understand.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm sure the man knew there was a safe landing where he would push the man. I don't think he intended to kill him.

I think the man just felt that everyone else has problems too, and him holding up traffic for 5 hours is not helping anyone including himself.

Was it wrong? maybe, but it's understandable.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Phoenix actually the pusher has a history of mental problems.

Most of us sheeple would not dare do something so bold. The guy was a bit crazy.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Phoenix actually the pusher has a history of mental problems.

Most of us sheeple would not dare do something so bold. The guy was a bit crazy.

Ah ok lol, but still understandable in a way.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level

Lian, a broad grin on his face, saluted the dumbfounded crowd as he watched Chen fall.
'I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest,' Lian told Xinhua.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

All I can say good job Lian. I have similar issues concerning jumpers. one time on Commerce St a few years back here in San Antonio, there was a guy who wanted to jump. he didn't, but because of his decision, everybody who rode the bus that day from Downtown, wish the dude just jump to get it over with it so the buses can be ontime. A sour point for Via Metropolitano Transit, our local transit authority.

The Second time I encounter an idiot was in Dallas, I was trying to make it to Terrel, TX to pick up a load ASAP and get it to KRAFT. There was this dude who decided to hold up traffic on the I-30 overpass at the I-30 and the I-35 connection. I was in an 18 Wheeler and over the CB channel 18, everybody which he would jump. I manage to find a way around on the City Streets Below which is a hazard when you are driving an 80ft vehicle.

The thrid and thank god he jumped was a few weeks back in San Antonio on the I-10 and Loop 410 interchange At Crossroads. he did jump and held up traffic all morning long. Since I'm on a bicycle, what do I care, I don't like the way most San Antonion's drive at all.

I thought about killing my self a long time ago when I was young. My dad prevented me from killing myself by telling me that in my next life, I would have to live the problems all over again and next time, they'll be worse. I believe that to the very true. This is why I hate street preachers, they couldn't save my soul back then, and they won't now. And they didn't help those people in the first place.

If I confront these people, I would do what Lian did, push them down. and let somebody take care of it later. My life sucks alot right now, but i'm not trying to kill myself, I'm trying to figure out how to improve it.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Combatmed1
Someone said that he should have grabbed him?!?!?!?! Are you kidding? Did you see the steel beam they were sitting on?!?!?! If he would have grabbed him then they both (most likely) would have fallen.

Uhhhh....sweetie...in case you are NOT aware modern homosapiens have come out with things called "harnesses". The police could have used one to protect themselves.

I am very well aware of the use of rappelling gear, but I was refering to the gentlemen who was up there not a cop.:shk:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
When I first saw this story, I started to think that it was one strange story. To me, it sounded like the guy that pushed him off was having a bad day and the jumper just happened to be there. When in fact, the guy that pushed him went through a police barricade just to attempt to help the guy commit suicide. Good thing that the jumper survived the fall from the bridge. If he would not have lived, the guy that pushed him would have been in a heap of trouble.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

. . .
I think suicide can be dignified and it is in fact a PERSONAL choice. The key word being personal, get a hotel room, don't be doing it on an overpass (sort of like sex, keep it private, and if you want to take it public use a video camera but don't force the public at large to watch it, or wait on it, unwillingly).

When a person is truly suicidal they do not necessarily have the ability to think rationally. The stress that drives a person to suicide can also drive them insane.

I once, (23 years ago,) tried to kill myself by throwing myself under a train. One of the reasons I'm glad I was stopped is realising what an appalling thing that would be for the poor train driver and for the people who had to clean the mess up. But at the time I had no way of understanding that. The pain and misery I was in had put a stop to all rational thought. I believed the world would be better off without me and no-one would miss me.

Luckily for me a grubby old drunk with a big heart recognised what that look in my eyes meant as we both stood waiting for the train. He took pity on me and started a chain of actions which led to me being prevented from carrying out my plans.

Since then I've achieved some surprising things, and done some good for the world which would never have happened* if that old man had been cold and judgemental towards suicides.

*including preventing the suicides of a few other people who have gone on to live useful lives since.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
When a person is truly suicidal they do not necessarily have the ability to think rationally. The stress that drives a person to suicide can also drive them insane.

When a person is TRULY suicidal they usually make an honest ATTEMPT. As stated, these overpass jumpers seem to have a VERY HIGH failure rate, they don't jump, they just sit there for hours.

The overpass jumpers never seem to do the deed, 95% are just messing around apparently. And yes, people are going to be annoyed an unsympathetic when these fools hold up thousands of cars for HOURS and for no good reason!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

When a person is TRULY suicidal they usually make an honest ATTEMPT. As stated, these overpass jumpers seem to have a VERY HIGH failure rate, they don't jump, they just sit there for hours.

You are right about this. Neither me or the people I helped were looking for attention. We just wanted as quick an quiet an exit as possible.

However I've also known people who do make a big carry on about how they are going to kill themselves when they're just trying to manipulate people. One was an abusive soon-to-be ex.

The police were there helping me get away from him safely and he turned up ranting that he was going to hang himself. They asked where from and he said, "the shower". Well they laughed and laughed, (he was a very big guy,) and told him he'd need to bash a whole in the ceiling and use a beam. They even offered to help him. Then they laughed even harder when he said he couldn't do that because then he wouldn't get his bond back.

The overpass jumpers never seem to do the deed, 95% are just messing around apparently. And yes, people are going to be annoyed an unsympathetic when these fools hold up thousands of cars for HOURS and for no good reason!

The article the OP referred to, if I remember rightly, said that 11 people had actually jumped in the last month. So maybe some of them were just out to kill themselves.

I can see why people would do it that way. It's quite hard to kill yourself at home. Even the Japanese, "bravely" committing hari kari, generally had a friend there to finish them off.

A lethal dose of drugs will generally either cause vomiting or put you to sleep before you've absorbed enough to do the job and you're more likely to survive with liver damage than succeed. With hanging you are likely to dangle for an hour slowly choking, (unless you use the shower,) and slitting the wrists doesn't work, they just clot.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join