It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching kids about sex?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I suspect that it is largely due to the fact that parents (not all, of course) have taken such a step back in overall parenting and let the schools do it all. Thank goodness for the public school teaching sex ed so we don't have to. Thank goodness they have PE so we don't have to encourage our kids to go play outside or teach them how to throw a ball. Thank goodness the schools have a counselor so our kids have someone to talk to and we don't even have to know about it. Not to go off on too much of a tangent here, but I think parents are suffering in their ability to talk to their children because these days, they don't "have" to.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

This is a serious subject that should be discussed, however please remember the T&C's

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

Watch howyou explain certain phrases please, lets leave the "dirty" out of this.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I am honest with my child regarding these questions, although I do keep it age appropriate. My parents were also VERY (a little too) honest with me, personal experiences included
which was both informative and awkward. I don't think that the majority of parents slack as much on the subject of sex as some would like to believe. I do not however feel that homosexuality is a topic worthy of indepth discussion in a classroom. When I took sex ed I was in 4 and 5 grade, the school did the whole puberty topic and the mechanics of sex in the same class. For me, sex is far more than the simple mechanics. There are the emotions, attraction, and so many topics that are not addressed in these classes, and that is where the bulk of parental education comes in. My experience in this class was simply from a reproductive stand point, and last I checked 2 men or 2 women can not produce children. We did not get into various postitions or anything that detered from the purpose of intercourse, at that point we did not go into various std's either, other than there were illness's associated with your reproductive organs that can be transmitted. I didn't have a course that discussed anything other than the above until college, std's were covered in high school science classes. I don't think that I would have an issue with homosexuality being discussed at the high school level, perhaps as part of an elective course (although at my school I was able to pick all of my classes after freshman year) I simply do not want someone at my child's elementary school going any further in the discussion than insert tab a into slot b.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Why does everyone assume that parents are too shy or ignore their responsibilities to talk about sex? It seems like propaganda too me. The state believes they are better at telling your kids what they should know than you are

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stuff1

You get no propaganda from me. Course whether you believe me on that one is up to you...

I don't get my impression about parent being shy about teaching their kids about sex from MSM or any other acronyms. I get it from personal experience. I talk to these people and they are simply not comfortable talking about it. They don't seem to have any problem enjoying sex, but to talk about it to anyone else, especially their kids, is taboo for some reason. And I don't mean to be contrite on this subject. I understand people have been conditioned for some reason over the years to feel that sex is not something anyone should ever talk about to anyone except their partners. That's why we have stories about storks, etc.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Knowledge is power...but depending on how you use that power, it can be good or bad.

I feel that sex is just a part of a trend made by society. It is hard to reverse something that a whole country is pushing (which is teenage sex). Not trying to push it deliberately, but just by how we act as a whole.

My opinion on it?

When there is fear of something, people will not to do it. Days ago, religion and family moral code brought that fear. Now, the only fear kids think of is pregnancy, and condoms/birth control eliminate that fear, leaving teens open to it.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I respect your opinion, but I certainly don't agree with it. Controlling people through fear is effective, yes, but is not an appropriate way to grow as a species. If this were a mad max kind of world, then yes use fear to keep everyone in line, but I would hope that humans were at a slightly better situation than that.

Besides, a kid's impulse to have sex has more to do with self-control and a changing body. We are wired up this way and the more we try to ignore our basic mechanics, the worse things get.

I stand by my opinion that if you want your kid to not have kids, give them the complete picture (in pieces as they can comprehend it) and then make available the tools that we as a society have come up with for our protection.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join