It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Attractor or Galactic 'Plate Tectonics'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Here is a mind puzzle for you;

Time has shown that the universe is drifting. Some call expansion, but I wonder if there is strong evidence for a finite "Pulling"...

The Great Attractor is a gravity anomaly in intergalactic space within the range of the Centaurus Supercluster that reveals the existence of a localised concentration of mass equivalent to tens of thousands of Milky Ways, observable by its effect on the motion of galaxies and their associated clusters over a region hundreds of millions of light years across.

These galaxies are all redshifted, in accordance with the Hubble Flow, indicating that they are receding relative to us and to each other, but the variations in their redshift are sufficient to reveal the existence of the anomaly. The variations in their redshifts are known as peculiar velocities, and cover a range from about +700 km/s to -70

Great Attractor

If you mention the term Zone of Avoidance to any astronomer, they will laugh it off and tell you you are simply looking at a cloudy, dusty spiral arm of our milky way galaxy and most scientific information derived from photons is null within this area of sky.

But consider this question: could this solar anomaly just coincidentally line up with some sort of Galaxy spanning tectonic plate like structure or some dark matter like function?

[edit on 21-5-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Sagittarius A* (pronounced "A-star", standard abbreviation Sgr A*) is a bright and very compact astronomical radio source at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, part of a larger astronomical feature at that location (Sagittarius A). Sagittarius A* is likely to be the location of a supermassive black hole,[3] as is hypothesized to be at the centers of many spiral and elliptical galaxies.
source

Several teams of researchers have attempted to image Sagittarius A* in the radio spectrum using Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI). The current highest-resolution measurement, made at a wavelength of 1.3 mm, indicated a size for the source of 37 μas.[4] At a 26,000 light-year distance, this yields a diameter of 44 million kilometers. For comparison, the Earth is 150 million kilometers from the Sun, and Mercury is 46 million kilometers from the Sun at its closest.

GAMMA RAYS?!? REALLY?!?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

First, there are lots of gravity anomalies in the Universe that's only recently been studied.

Most are assumed to be caused by dark matter congregating in some unknown mechanism.

Other theories propose that dark matter don't exist but an error in our understanding of gravitation.

And the Gamma Rays coming out of the supermassive black holes like the Sagittarius A could be two things, matter falling into black hole from Accretion Disk and/or Faster-Than-Light particles slowing to Sub-Light speeds.

cheers!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Would you like to explain your idea a little bit more? I don't see what you're getting at.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The earth is transformed overtime via plate tectonics through Subduction and convection and various processes.

I was just pondering about the possibility of the universe as a whole following a similar dynamo.

I consider the universe to be like an egg. The Cosmic microwave background would be the shell, and the yoke inside is the universe.

The zone of a avoidance is a BIG CHUNK of the sky, and we dont have alot of data from the region. I would think a galaxy spanning plate/string techtonic like event would be one of the few forces capable of creating some of the universes more intricate features.

reply to post by ahnggk

Oh yeah, Dark flow, Dark matter, dark particles and dark chocolate, all so they can make the numbers seemingly work.

There are MANY radio sources, seemingly emanating from suspected black holes. What I have NEVER UNDERSTOOD is; if no light can escape the event horizon, then how would the sound escape, to create the radio source?!?

The only thing i can guess is the sound is only made once the black hole is done feeding. Its like you slam your finger in the car door and scream 5 seconds after the fact

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I see. Well, I must say it sounds far too advanced for me to puzzle my pretty head over.

Have a nice thread.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

So are saying that this only happens in our galaxy? If it does happen like you propose, it would happen in all galaxies in the Universe.

The "sound" you are hearing is only the manifestation of EM waves coming into the acoustic device used for listening. Also the polar jets is likely where the EM (sound) comes from, since they are escaping the black hole because they are being shot back out.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

So are saying that this only happens in our galaxy? If it does happen like you propose, it would happen in all galaxies in the Universe.

Not necessarily what i am saying. I would imagine any tectonic like structure could compromise the ENTIRE OBSERVABLE UNIVERSE, not just the milky way or local group.

Maybe our local solar system is just really close to the induction zone, much like Japan's location is pretty close to the Mariana Trench.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

And your postulate is that this "induction zone" is caused by dark matter correct?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

And your postulate is that this "induction zone" is caused by dark matter correct?

well, maybe. i havent gotten that far yet. If you ask me, I would have a hard time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that dark matter even exists. Of course I have no reason to believe it doesn't exist but consider this;

If one rock in the foundation of a house is not set correctly, the entire structural integrity of the house is compromised.

The same idea can be applied to ANY theory as well.

If anything, I would say that most large scale structures in the universe may even be connected by "Dark Strings", which is a fancy way to say planets/stars/galaxies are geotidally locked. IE;

moons circle planets circling stars circling (Black holes?) which, i can only guess, also move around.

I guess it would be possible for the black holes to be Finite, and stationary, meaning they never move, and that would add even MORE to their mystery.

But my OP is just an idea on the possibly that black holes actually move around space, due to gravity from a much stronger force, IE, My theoretical "Galactic Tectonics."

We have been looking up at the sky since we had eyes, but only recently (20 or so years) can we say we are collecting hard data, and each day it seems they have to rewrite math to make some of the galactic "drift" observed within some solar systems make since. The major problem is that these forces take eons to occur, meaning, we have ALOT of data to collect over thew next few thousand years.

thanks you for your interest

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

that could be a possiblity, but im sure it would encompass all "dark" stuff. dark matter, Dark Flow, and so on

top topics

join