It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks $46 Million for Military Base in Colombia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Obama Seeks $46 Million for Military Base in Colombia

www.democracynow.org

President Obama is seeking $46 million to establish a new military facility in Colombia. The funding request has been opposed by several advocacy groups. John Lindsay-Poland of the Fellowship of Reconciliation said, “This base would feed a failed drug policy, support an abusive army, and reinforce a tragic history of US military intervention in the region.” The Pentagon has been looking for a new site in Latin America ever since Ecuador notified Washington last year that it would not renew the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I do not understand this at all. Why do we need to expand our empire even more. Now is this time to stop this unneeded spending and rebuild our crumbling country. We are in such bad shape that it makes zero sense to me to be building a new base in Colombia. Is it for the coffee and cocoa leaves? Where is Ron Paul when you need him!!

www.democracynow.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well when you consider what's right next door to Columbia
It's not too surprising.

Venezuela’s Oil-Based Economy

Venezuela's proven oil reserves are among the top ten in the world. Increases in world oil prices in recent years have allowed Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to expand social program spending, bolster commercial ties with other countries, and boost his own international profile.

Though Chavez has threatened to stop exporting Venezuelan oil and refined petroleum products to the United States, its biggest oil-trading partner, experts say a significant short-term shift in oil relations between Venezuela and the United States is unlikely. The medium-term outlook for state oil company PDVSA is questionable, however, and analysts draw links between PDVSA's profitability and the political stability of the country. Analysts say the recent global financial crisis and sudden drop in oil prices are adding to the oil company's financial turmoil.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just what the world needs, another US military base. Don't they have enough already?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Very good point about venezuela... oil and there ties with china and NK. My point is that now is not the time for more empire expanding....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

My response to that is...
When is it ever a good time?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The funny thing is the initial 46million for a new base is cheap as opposed to what it will cost to run that one base.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Dont forget about the huge drug trade, you get your hooks in there regulating whats going on with the coc aine coming in and out of that place and your making some good money, might not be a bad way to boost a country out of debt.......hmmmmm thats a strange idea.......

I dont usually subscribe to far out ideas, but ....we all know the mob did it and look how lucrative they were. Two huge resources at hand in a place like that? Sounds fishy, any thoughts?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Well I agree with you but the CIA has been involved with Columbia for years, thats nothing new but please don't violate the terms and conditions I do not want this thread being deleted. You make a good point just watch how you word that or they will remove your post. Its obvious that Venezuela is not on the US's friend list at the moment. Columbia is having trouble with the cartels there just like Mexico. Strategically it makes perfect sense to have a base there. The number 46 million is small compared to the 9 trillion that disappeared from the fed recently and the black ops budget alone could cover these expenses. It obvious there may be many reason to be in that region and on the conspiracy side we could make a new thread about it. I just do not think our empire needs to expand at the moment not with a deficit at 12 trillion. Now with China being the largest buyer of our debt(I am not sure how much we owe them, its not the entire national deficit, sticking to the fact
) and they are stating to get worried at our ability to pay them back and thats not even mentioning the interest.

edit to specify national deficit

[edit on 19-5-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ok that makes me wonder, how was anything I said off base? I guess im curious as to how they can remove my post because of the content in anything i stated in my above post?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Ats is not allowing us to talk about anything illicit drug related thats all I am saying other than that your post was fine

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

Well first off we are not 12 trillion in the hole with China.
Lets keep to the facts

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
[mor

I said a twelve trillion dollar deficit not that we owe china that much, i will edit to make that more clear.... sorry sir..

top topics

join