It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron calls for dissolution of Parliament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

David Cameron calls for dissolution of Parliament

www.telegraph .co.uk

I think there is now only one way of sorting out the mess and that is for Parliament to be dissolved and for there to be an immediate General Election.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
These are very harsh words to be spoken by the leader of the main opposition party..

I wonder if it's the Conservatives that have leaked the expenses and causing the scandal to force a general election to be held.

Most of the public does want a general election and many newspapers have commented on it.

But the BNP may get many votes, isn't this how Hitler got into power?

www.telegraph .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit for more links

Cameron: 'General Election Is Needed Now'

UK opposition leader demands general election

Cameron starts election petition

[edit on 18/5/2009 by lightchild]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The scale of the expense fraud that has been perpetrated is staggering, it looks like half of the House was in on the deal.

My personal favorite are the Sinn Fein MPs who hate the crown so much that they refuse to attend parliament, but still claimed half a million quid between them in expenses.

Priceless.

I wonder if the Conservatives will be able to repair any of the damage done by Labour, there is so much that needs rolling back where on earth would they start?

I say give UKIP a shot at it, something radical is required.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Retseh]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Doesn't matter. They are ALL THE SAME!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
is there a legal way of getting an election? no confidence in teh governemnt i know ;

an election won`t happen - labour are the lowest in the polls , below UKIP and the BNP , it would really be a hung government as the conservatives have nose dived as well.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what country, in what part of the world. One thing stands as a fact. Politicians don't get into politics to make our life better, they get into politics to make THEIR lives better.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Personally, I don't think that dissolving Parliament and calling for an election will solve anything. Politics is politics - a little like show business without the expenses (i.e. they don't pay for front row seats).

I think the timing of this MP expenditure issue is very interesting, given the fact that most people in the UK appear to have forgot the banking bailout debacle - a much more wasteful venture with public billions (or trillions!!). The existing MP expenses row is (dare I say it) small potatoes in light of the hundreds of billions loaned to the banking system, itself completely devoid of morals.

It's interesting that someone mentioned the BMP - I listened to Question Time last week and a woman said that she was sad because they (voting public) could possibly put in the BNP as a lesson to Government!

The Government may just use this as an opportunity to solidify the existing 'you have it good with us' pitch and leave us with a two party system. Who knows? Bye bye BNP and any other 'radical' (although BNP are not radical per se) 'party'!

P.s. Sinn Fein would claim ownership of Wales and Scotland into a Celtic region if they had the chance - £500 grand per annum? - small spuds, lol.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Politicians don't get into politics to make our life better, they get into politics to make THEIR lives better.

Here, here.

Private sector jobs are being lost, foreclosures increasing and public sector jobs increasing.

What if every UK citizen became a parliamentary candidate, we could all fleece each other. But who'd pay the bills?

If Cameron got into power with a dissolution on the table, he'd flip-flop that statement in a heartbeat.

Whatever oner party says, the other parties take an antipodean stance. When they get into power, it's business as usual and the new opposition takes on the previous policy.

It's just swings and roundabouts. An illusion to make people think there is some kind of democracy, when in reality there is an agenda they follow from the true powers that be.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The problem is not your parliament, the problem is Democracy. The very nature and method of attaining power invites only the most corrupt. Cleanse Parliaments, and it will be corrupt before the next election.

That is the way of Democracy.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Regardless of who is in power, they will all milk the system for their own gain.

What we need is to force current government to implement sweeping new changes to the way our country is run.

Forcing an election now would likely do no more than hand more power and influence to minority parties with negative ideas.

We are at a real turning point in the UK now, and there is a very real risk that the BNP could gain significant ground if one bad decision is taken. Having an election now would give them that chance.

Either way, I have already decided that I have no confidence in any of them. If I were forced to vote, I'd vote Green.
As it stands, I have no desire to go out of my way to vote for another corrupt and secretive self-serving government.

And if people later tell me that I assisted in whatever went wrong because I didn't vote, I'll simply point out history and show that voting means nothing, they'll run your country to keep themselves in power while lining their own pockets and furthering government control. Every party is the same, every government is the same.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I cant believe that piece of walking swamp filth called David Cameron and his little cronies are going to be our next government...
People will never learn,vote fourth party!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well now, what makes Cameron think a general election is going to do. A lot of people are just as disgusted with the Tories as they are with Labour. Does he really think they are a shoe in right now if a general election was called?

Perhaps someone needs to tell Mr. Cameron exactly what most people think of the whole damned bunch....including him and his equally corrupt set of MP's. Maybe I'll draft a letter to him or their party website and give them all a little reality check.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The problem is not your parliament, the problem is Democracy. The very nature and method of attaining power invites only the most corrupt. Cleanse Parliaments, and it will be corrupt before the next election.

Starred Rockpuck, short and to the point.

I have tried pointing out to people many times before just what an illusion Democracy is. Two main parties and a bunch of also-rans who, in all honesty, will never hold any real power and are there simply to give the illusion of choice. The people fronting the two main parties are just the front men, the talking heads, whereas the real power lies with the backroom players and the old boy network, as well as big businesses and their deep pocketed lobbyists. No form of government oversight, everything shrouded in secrecy and ever more draconian laws to keep us all in line and criminalising dissent and investigation into their misdeeds.

Some choice we get!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
bring back hanging and damn political correctness.

would sure make for a lot of clean politicians

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Damn right,i hate how the media,relatives,spreading democracy around the world! blah blah woof woof.Everyone thinks its great that 51% can dictate to the other 49%..common sense shows you this is not a good foundation for a strong and free nation.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
An election wouldn't make the slightest change, nor would it help to settle the unrest with the public.

1. People vote according to their background not conscience, "I've voted labour 'cos I've always voted labour" mentality.
  2. The peripheral parties are too peripheral. There is no group that could carry popular support, the BNP ar disgusting, the Greens too radical, the best bet are single issue candidates such as Martin Bell or the Doctor from the Welsh Borders.
  3. Last time an active clique of about 25% of the 35% who bothered to vote swung the election
  4. The level of corruption in Parliament is such that to protect themselves from the populace they would conspire to ensure a mutually agreeable solution, most likely to continue with the statis quo, and to make a lot of song and dance, but to effect no material change, and to change the law to allow them to keep everything hidden and out of sight.
  5. TPTB would rig the results or declare some kind of martial law if they didn't like the result. We live in a Police State already, under more surveillance than the Gerans under the Stasi, taxed and living in fear of our jobs in the economy TPTB put us in, I notice they aren't suffering too much.

How great does it make you feel when you hand over more than half your salary each year for the various taxes on everything from income to insurance to know that instead of paying for nurses, teachers, schools, the roads, and decent gear for the poor sods been shot at in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere (regardless of the legality of the wars involved, I want the people to come home safe), that no, the money is spent on essential items like moat cleaning, mole catchers, tampons for men, jars of marmalade, and so on.

I asked my employer today, if I "claimed" £16,000 from the accounts as expenses, then when found out paid it back, despite claiming it was legitimate expenses, they would not accept the money back with an apology, instead they would seek my prosecution for theft, fraud, and false accounting after firing me.

Nothing changes with elections, there is no democracy as such, it's all a sham to keeo people quiet, give the illusion of freedom, allow us our toys like cars and satelite TV, but mostly to keep us quiet while we keep the billionaires, the nameless faces, and the men in grey in the state they have become accustomed, outside of the law, above the law, and living in a manner we can't begin to comprehend.

I wonder if Marx, Engels, and others didn't have a point after all. But even with a revolution nothing changes, people are vain, power mad, and power hungry, once they get a taste they become as corrupt as the people they replaced.

It makes my blood boil.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Starred Rockpuck, short and to the point.

I have tried pointing out to people many times before just what an illusion Democracy is. Two main parties and a bunch of also-rans who, in all honesty, will never hold any real power and are there simply to give the illusion of choice. The people fronting the two main parties are just the front men, the talking heads, whereas the real power lies with the backroom players and the old boy network, as well as big businesses and their deep pocketed lobbyists. No form of government oversight, everything shrouded in secrecy and ever more draconian laws to keep us all in line and criminalising dissent and investigation into their misdeeds.

Some choice we get!

Couldn't agree more to both of you...the question remains, however, If not this, then what?

Keeping a keen eye on events in the UK.....I think the dominoes start falling shortly...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Doesn't matter. They are ALL THE SAME!

What world is anyone living in that think that these things do not happen all the time. People cheat all the time in society, so why are people even shocked?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I ain't shocked sweetie. I've read enough Private Eye to know how corrupt Westminster is. Just to add as well, David Cameron is not calling for a general election for the sake of the British people but for the sake of the Conservative party gaining the moral high ground. Really, I do wonder if Mr Cameron would've taken such harsh measures such as reprimanding his fellow MPs if the public never found out about this receipt scandal?

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think parliament should be dissolved at the Summer recess and an election held in the Autumn. Just think of the money saved on all the salaries over the Summer.

Perhaps MP's salaries should be means tested? as many MP's have other jobs and incomes.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 18/5/2009 by lightchild]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join