It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.0 Earthquake Hits Los Angels Metro Area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

5.5 Earthquake Hits Los Angels Metro Area

www.bnonews.com

Los Angeles Fire Department tells BNO News that there are no reports of damage; injury or fires at this time. 22 minutes ago
(visit the link for the full news article)

*Edit Revised Magnitude from 5.5 to 5

[edit on 17-5-2009 by TreX-UK]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This has just happend, news still coming in, No reports of Major damage yet or Fatalitys thankfully

but the seconed Failry big earthquake in two months, its the big one coming or just the fault letting of some preassue in nicer ways

disscuss ill keep the main page updated as the news comes in, hope ever ones ok

also, on another note, come on is it just me or is there been a increase in sesmic actvity recently ?

www.bnonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Link to the USGS on this Earthquake

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
USGS still has it at 5.0.

I honestly think we are seeing the effects on the tectonic plate from the earthquake swarms that have been ongoing at the kodiak Islands region.

I am curious to see if it will reverberate all the way to the New Madrid Fault.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
God bless you people in these earthquake prone areas!

I guess being from NY we don't get much of this and it would absolutely terrify me. I am so amazed at the way you guys talk about it so casually. I pray you will all be safe and this is just a shift from the activity in Alaska.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

revised,

looking at the RSOE EDIS Map for earthquakes you see there is a 4.3 in mexico

is this the pressure creeping up the fault?, remember seeing a programe about how on the North Anatolian Fault Zon there was a series of earthquakes that moved along east to west ending up flatting some city in the turkey area

we must be able to .... not predict(hate that term) but have a educated guess that there is going to be a earthquake if actvity along the fault has been seen

dont ya think?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The quake, centred south-west of Los Angeles 1.6 kilometres east of Lennox, California, was 13.5km below the surface.

This what i found, at its very shallow imo

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That's why I live in tornado alley. A tornado hits here and there but an earthquake rattles the bejesus out of everyone.

As a kid I lived in Anaheim and we had a 5.6 earthquake. It woke me up and I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen, things were shaking but I wasn't concerned. I thought the washing machine was vibrating.

Then my Dad ran through in his underwear screaming and we moved back to Arkansas.

A 5.0 earthquake isn't a bad one. Most people in Cali probably didn't even notice it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Meh, 5.0
We here in New Zealand eat those for breakfast!

....aaaaaanyway: I hope there was no loss of life. That's no good for anyone. Infrastructure can be rebuilt, but death is permanent.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Just got off Twitter and LOTS of people noticed it. Some live very near the epicenter but I haven't heard any reports of serious damage to anyone except property damage. You'll probably get some first-hand accounts soon.

My best wishes and prayers for those who were affected.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
God bless you people in these earthquake prone areas!

I guess being from NY we don't get much of this and it would absolutely terrify me. I am so amazed at the way you guys talk about it so casually. I pray you will all be safe and this is just a shift from the activity in Alaska.

You guys got a 3.0 today.... no?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

3.0 Date-Time
* Monday, May 18, 2009 at 00:53:29 UTC
* Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 08:53:29 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones Location
42.571°N, 74.112°W Depth
9 km (5.6 miles) Region
NEW YORK Distances
* 15 km (10 miles) N (5°) from Medusa, NY
* 16 km (10 miles) SSW (203°) from Altamont, NY
* 17 km (11 miles) WSW (240°) from Voorheesville, NY