It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dudleytown- Why would an abandoned town be protected?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Sorry I dont have anything to add I just wanted to confirm that this is the correct Dudleytown.
GoogleEarth coords :

41°48'29.01"N
73°21'22.80"W

All I can say is that I notice a lot of little houses in a sea of trees, some seem miles from the next.
Dont these people get scared?
If I was alone in a house in the middle of a huge forrest I would be petrified, not just from burglars but the wendigo doesnt sound so comfortable.

Interesting topic, I love ghost towns and creepy things like this.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
utter twaddle - at least someone had the balls to investigate

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by badgerprints

The thing is that most nature preserves in CT are open to the public, and many of them do run right behind people's houses and that's just how it is.

Granted, most nature preserves are open to the public in some capacity but not all are. In the case of Dudleytown the area is owned by a local group. These locals seem to be very xenophobic (so to speak) and are jealously guarding what they feel to be their own place.
I lived in the SW Mass/ NE Conn area for a few years and liked the people a lot. It is nice up there but some of those small townships and burgs in that area are very closed off. They don't always like outsiders and will get pretty serious about it when they decide to protect their turf. It's doubtful that there is some type of mystery or cover up going on in Dudleyville. More likely it is just stubborn locals who dig their heels in deeper every time somebody tries to get in and poke around.

I could be wrong though.

Might be worth taking a hike.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush
Sorry I dont have anything to add I just wanted to confirm that this is the correct Dudleytown.
GoogleEarth coords :

41°48'29.01"N
73°21'22.80"W

All I can say is that I notice a lot of little houses in a sea of trees, some seem miles from the next.
Dont these people get scared?
If I was alone in a house in the middle of a huge forrest I would be petrified, not just from burglars but the wendigo doesnt sound so comfortable.

Interesting topic, I love ghost towns and creepy things like this.

When I Google mapped it I too saw a massive tree filled area. I also noticed that there were some buildings scattered about but I could not make out what they were nor could I make out a road leading into our out of the areas outside of the two map lead ins which just stopped.

Since it is private property I guess the people that own it just don't want people on their land.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I live in CT, im about 45 minutes form dudleytown, and have always wanted to go thier. IVE researched alot about the paranoral, sinc my experience with an ouija board, when i was 13. Ed and lorraine warren came to our home to help out.
Dudleytown, is gaurded, mostly i hear, because of vandals, teens up to msicheif, and voodoo or stan worshipers have hung around thier, leaving sacrificed animals and a mess around. IN fact, if you are just caught on the raod driving by, yuo may get pulled over and warned to get out, or arrested for tresspassing. Yuo annot elgally enter it. Kinda like the AMityvile house...if police see you outside with a camera, you might be in toruble. I dated a woman 2 years ago..who sneaked into dudelytown with a guide/friend. Thier is a secret passage you can get in unseen, its on the northwest corner of the land, if memory serves me right. SHe took some pics, she had a few BIG orbs on film, she showed me, and some pics, shwoed what appeared to be elctroplasma mist. very cool and interesting pics. One mist, kinda looked like a decreped old halloween tree face!
Ive read the storys about it htier, seeing red eyes following others, noises, voices, ect and the like. All that is really left thier, outsid of woods, and a few stone walls(one is called the wtich's wall)...is the basements..holes still in the ground, most have trees growing out of them.
I kinda dont buy into the dudleytown thing, i think its just a haox or myth someone started for attention. The main reason, the police guard it, is because its private property now..it was sold well over a decade ago, to some guy, and he didnt like what teens, people were donig their, partying, msichief and trespassing..got out fo hand i guess, adn they know its kinda an attraction.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
When I lived in CT a bunch of us went to Dudleytown on a few occasions. If you go during the day it's just a place where people go to hike around. Plenty of middle-aged and elderly couples walking hand in hand. If you go at night there's a slim chance you'll run into some stoned teenagers or idiot "witches and warlocks" whose parents think they're at a friends sleepover.

The most freaky thing I've ever experienced there was being chased by a porcupine at 3AM.

Same goes for that Union Cemetery with the Lady in White and all that. We've spent way too much time there looking for anything and waiting for something. Just wasted hours and wasted gas.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ravenshadow - Interesting that the 'trail' was shut on the 27th October - 5th November especially since the 31st October is the night of sacrifices to Satan.

Only a coincidence, possibly but still and interesting story because of the obsessiveness of the culture of secrecy that surrounds it.
Anyone every Google Earth this place?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well as being a ct native of the litchfield/ cornwall area I can tell you what I have heard about dudley town. Yes, it is supposed to be this place of evil where the town citizens once went crazy and I guess as the legend goes they killed off each other.

From my own research into dudely town there are many reasons for it being closed to the public. some being military, government dumping grounds. The most common answer I have recieved would be that dudely town does indeed run through peoples properties, and being cornwall the area is populated with rich old folks, or just plain old folks that really do not care about the mystery and just want to keep teenagers off their land.

Police where often called to make arrest because of high school students using the woods to party and drink. I myself have never been basically because the directions one can find or used to be able to find off google never really seemed to give the exact location plus without a team to go with you to document, hid the car, and be on lookout it is a tad difficult to get something done.

If anyone on this thread has gone and taken pictures please post. I have seen a few pics from others over the years.

www.hauntster.net...

This site claims that some guy debunked dudely town.

Whatever the case is about this place I think there is some sort of paranomal activity there, even if it was created with the human mind and manifested its energies into something sinister who is to know until more research is done.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Dark entry is a term used in black witchcraft.

It means many things at once:
it's a reference to a sexual perversion,
it's an initiation,
it's accessing power through a "back door", by the doing of evil,
it's a hidden door in some old churches leading to an underground place of ceremonies.

I believe the children who went missing were sacrificed to punish the father, who could no longer stomach the goings on and threatened to tell authorities.

I would keep well away from the place. It still has an aura of danger and evil.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Found this little bit

'Mohawk Trail but this trail has been open-closed at unknown times by the 'Dark Entry Forest Association' which lays claims to the land and area is supposedly being surveyed. The last resident of the area founded this Association..a Dr.Clark...(who's wife went insane) and claims to about 900 acres of land. ]] in the town of Cornwall, Litchfield County. The ravine is the course of Bonney Brook as it cascades toward the west between Coltsfoot Mountain to the north and Bald Mountain on the south. '

So a Dr Clark is DEF ? was like the bit about his wife...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Really interesting story OP, thanks for sharing!

Boy, I tell ya, this place sure sounds strange. I found a website a couple of years ago who were able to get in and take a look around, nothing much, but they did find some odd structures. (More like foundations.)

If I find it, I'll post it.

And thanks again for the story, will be watching this space!

Peace,
FK

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

What is "crazy lost" ? I have never heard that term before.

It sounds like this land is privately held and controlled and there is nothing the government can do about it. I suppose the city could claim imminent domain if they wanted to put a shopping mall or something there. Have you tried to interview, or do you know of an interview with the owners of the land?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Haha "Crazy" is a synonym for "really" or "super."

I'm so proud of everyone's input! Here's my personal opinion update-

1. The people of Cornwall aren't -really- in the middle of nowhere. They're right on Rt. 7, just past Kent, not too far from New Milford (which is a huge, busy, built-up town). I understand that people can be xenophobic. But they should at least make a website explaining what they are, instead of us all having to poke around and guess. That way they could be left alone.

2. I do think that the reason the police are patrolling that area so much is because of vandalism and noise. However, I don't believe that teenagers would keep going there if everyone was directly open and honest about that land. I think they would go "Oh, it's not haunted or creepy. This is boring, let's go somewhere else." My suggestion for DEFA would be to have, once or twice a year, a tourguide-led hike through the forest. This is not uncommon for private preserves. Preferably it could be a historian leading the hike who knows who lived in what houses, with no stupid ghost stories, and anyone could go. It would be well controlled, so maybe actually a few tour guides could lead it. And I honestly think it would help their problem.

3. I hope that in the future, more contributions are added to this thread. I'm sure there are members and future members who have been here, or who know more about DEF than we do. Again, this thread is a resource for a topic of interest that was not yet discussed in-depth on this site.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Global consciousness

Yes, I've seen that too. It was founded by Dr. Clark in 1924.
From a paranormal standpoint- well that's sure weird.
From a skeptic standpoint- well, lots of people go insane.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VampireZio

Could you expand on what you've heard about military/dumping ground theories? Thanks!

I've never heard that explanation before.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

just my humble opinion - but only retards get lost in such simple terrain as rural conneticut

with a USGS 1:50000 topo map , a good compass and basic navigations skills its impossible to get lost - throw in a GPS handset and spre batteries and you have a saftey net

trouble is that idiots dont bother with any navigation equipment or training

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
nice question lol!!!!!!
id be very suspisous, especially the name dark forest association. try and get sum ariel pictures of it and post them......

unless thery aint any..... then id call the police lol and be very suspicious!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
That's rude, but I agree with you on the fact that it seems pretty impossible at least around where I live to get lost for more then a day or so, walk straight in any direction for 45 minutes and even if you're in the middle of Blueridge Mountains(Right by wherE I live, lots of tree cover) you could find civilization, or even a house within 10 minutes of walking in one direction and it's probably the most unpopulated area in the county, which is the smallest county in the state so not a lot of people either.

I've been to the 'Black Forest' in Maryland where Blair Witch Project supposedly took place(lol, it wasn't even filmed there IIRC, plenty of people going site searching for areas that were filmed were disappointed) and if you walk in any direction for an hour you'll be at civilization, or at least a road.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
here some body whos writen a book on the place has a small faq list you may like to read but thay doo seem to be evasive in there ansersdudley town FAQ

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Originally posted by groingrinder

just my humble opinion - but only retards get lost in such simple terrain as rural conneticut

with a USGS 1:50000 topo map , a good compass and basic navigations skills its impossible to get lost - throw in a GPS handset and spre batteries and you have a saftey net

trouble is that idiots dont bother with any navigation equipment or training

Hey. It is in Connecticut, not Montana or Wyoming. I have no gps navigation and I never get lost. I merely explore territory unknown to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join